2021 NCAA, CHL, OHL and European prospects thread - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Plus

Jun 20, 2021
New Jersey
If Pytlik's skating has improved as much as it appears in video, it could be Maltsev round two. Hopefully the offense develops in this instance.
Im afraid Maltsev is missing the smarts to be a reliable NHLer, but heres to hoping I am wrong because his size and skillset are surely NHL capable

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Im afraid Maltsev is missing the smarts to be a reliable NHLer, but heres to hoping I am wrong because his size and skillset are surely NHL capable

I don't think he lacks the smarts at all. I think his biggest weakness is his shot honestly. It's really bad. Otherwise I think he plays a pretty intelligent game. He does make some big mistakes from time to time, but he is also a kid so it kinda comes with the territory.

A Plus

Jun 20, 2021
New Jersey
I don't think he lacks the smarts at all. I think his biggest weakness is his shot honestly. It's really bad. Otherwise I think he plays a pretty intelligent game. He does make some big mistakes from time to time, but he is also a kid so it kinda comes with the territory.
Hes 23, a rookie to the league but not exactly the age to be making as many mistakes as he was

You could be right however that I mistook his frequent mistakes for a lack of smarts, though I think it may be the explanation

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think just grouping Maltsev's issues in the category of 'smarts' is unfair. Maltsev is really good at using his body and reach to create space for himself in a way that I haven't seen out of a Devils prospect in a long time. He's just very bad at using his teammates and this can get him into trouble, especially in the defensive zone. His shot release is also pretty poor.

Wouldn't bet on him playing 200 games in the NHL but he has an interesting collection of skills and if he just gets a tiny bit better, I think he can have a career as a 4th liner, and his skillset seems poorly suited to the KHL, so this might actually happen. Most marginal Russian players return to the KHL, but I'm not even sure he would play regularly for SKA right now.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Yeah Maltsev is very good in one-on-one battles and puck retrieval but really struggles with awareness. He gets tunnel vision and will squander possession by holding on too long or trying to do everything himself.

He still needs quite a bit of polish. It's cool to have a bull in a china shop player in your lineup but I'd like to see him show a little more patience and better decision making.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Maltsev stops moving his feet and relies too much on his balance when he has the puck. It can work low in the zones, but open ice it's a liability. He could be similar to a player like Zubrus if he works on that area of his game by moving his feet more or moving the puck.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Are the Devils holding a development/rookie camp? And has there been a roster announced with any college or junior non-roster invitees?

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Are the Devils holding a development/rookie camp? And has there been a roster announced with any college or junior non-roster invitees?

Not traditionally, they may have the rookies report earlier than usual to training camp (which they do anyway). They will be in the rookie tournament with Buffalo/Boston. (Which is a part of training camp.)

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
NCAA

Luke Hughes - University of Michigan
Case McCarthy - Boston University
Patrick Moynihan - Providence College
Cole Brady - Arizona State University
Ethan Edwards - University of Michigan
Artem Shlaine - University of Connecticut

OHL

Chase Stillman - Sudbury Wolves

Liiga

Jaromir Pytlik - KalPa
Topias Vilen - Pelicans
Eetu Pakkila - Ilves

U20 SM-sarva

Samu Salminen - Jokerit U20

KHL

Shakir Mukhamadullin - Salavat Yulaev Ufa
Arseni Gritsyuk - Avangard Omsk
Zakhar Bardakov - Ska St. Petersburg
Daniil Misyul - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Yegor Zaitsev - Dynamo Moskva

SHL

Nikloa Pasic - Linkoping HC

J20 Nationell

Viktor Hurtig - Vaxjo Lakers HC J20

NL

Benjamin Baumgartner - Lausanne HC

Czech2

Jakub Malek - VHK Vsetin

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
That has a tendency to be a problem for the North American AHL prospects unless the parent takes care of them with outsiders.

It shouldn't be that huge a deal given what's coming. Could be light on forward in 2022-23, depending on who does or does not get signed.

Reactions: Bad Goalie

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
What’s his timeline? AHL or NHL?

He's signed in Russia through 2022-23, I think the decision will likely be made at that point. I'd assume if he signs in North America at that point that his contract would have a European assignment clause, meaning he would have the choice to play in the KHL if he didn't make the NHL team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad