OT: 2021 MLB Regular Season Discussion Thread

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I can’t be bothered to follow baseball if I’m being honest. Manfred’s rule changes have made me not care. MLB has the problem that NASCAR had in the mid 2000s, where they’re doing everything they can to chase the mythical casual fan, failing to do that, and pissing off the core fans in the process. The difference is that NASCAR had the benefit of being popular back then.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
I can’t be bothered to follow baseball if I’m being honest. Manfred’s rule changes have made me not care. MLB has the problem that NASCAR had in the mid 2000s, where they’re doing everything they can to chase the mythical casual fan, failing to do that, and pissing off the core fans in the process. The difference is that NASCAR had the benefit of being popular back then.
MLB has no choice (and likely NASCAR as well but idk shit about their demographics) because the average age of a fan is near or above 60.

In 20-30 years when that average fan is gone or so old they arent attending, what will the MLB have besides the happy sentiment of the now dead yet happy fan?

Not to mention baseball players coming up could care less for old-time baseball (though I agree I prefer playing for bases over homeruns) and things such as unwritten rules and century old practices.

If baseball is to be even above MLS in the next 50 years, then they better speed up the game quick.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Kluber's no hitter now puts the 2021 season only 1 no hitter shy from tying the record for a single season. And it's May. :laugh:

Baseball really has become an all or nothing sport it feels like. Homer or strikeout. Seems to be against the trend to have guys who are looking to put the ball in play consistently.

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
They actually deadened the balls to try and create more offense through base hits, but all it did was cause more no hitters

Teams are starting to adjust. Admittedly I only watch Yankees games for the most part, but you can see guys like Torres and even Gardner altering their approach to be more contact oriented. Hell, even Gary got a hit last night going the other way. I think players are going to continue to adjust, and I think it will be good for the game long term. I'm also expecting to see something done to encourage more base stealing. I believe they are working on a rule in MiLB to just that end. Manfred just needs to have the courage to stick with the current ball and let the league catch up.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
So what's this shit about pitchers doctoring balls? How can umpires just let this slide?

Man, Manfred is such a corporate stooge

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So what's this shit about pitchers doctoring balls? How can umpires just let this slide?

Man, Manfred is such a corporate stooge

Pitchers are using some substance that is basically glue to get insane spin rates on their pitches.

It's become painfully obvious so the league is using this season to "investigate"

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
LOL deGrom is literally setting an impossible bar to keep up with. There was no way he kept up an 0.6 ERA even before the crackdown. But now that the crackdown is happening if he finishes with a 1.5 ERA people will wonder if it’s because of the crackdown :P

Supposedly his spin rate really hasn’t increased a la Cole and Bauer so there’s that.

Nico Hughes

Jun 28, 2021
Am I able to get a refund for my tickets if the Mets game tonight is now a 7-inning game where we have no chance of winning cause were not playing a starter and half the lineup wont play?

Im actually quite upset about it

Big Drive

Mar 12, 2009
NJ
I'm at work earlier and look at my phone and the first article from Chris Ryan says the Mets lost 2-1. Later, I check and find out they win in extra innings. How can you write an article and publish it before the game is done? Nothing major but makes you wonder about journalism

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'm at work earlier and look at my phone and the first article from Chris Ryan says the Mets lost 2-1. Later, I check and find out they win in extra innings. How can you write an article and publish it before the game is done? Nothing major but makes you wonder about journalism

That’s what makes you wonder about journalism? Print journalism hasn’t been what it used to be for a long time. Others may see it differently but that is my thought.

Reactions: Big Drive

Big Drive

Mar 12, 2009
NJ
That’s what makes you wonder about journalism? Print journalism hasn’t been what it used to be for a long time. Others may see it differently but that is my thought.
Oh I agree, but for some reason it annoyed me to write about it lol.

Reactions: My3Sons

Nico Hughes

Jun 28, 2021
Glad the Mets decided to not even try the one game I go to

this is why I cant get behind baseball as a diehard; they decide if a game is lost before its even played. They decide to pitch a guy with a career 7 ERA whos a nobody and has never stuck by 31yo for four innings in my one game at Citi Field

awesome. Thanks for that Manfred, I appreciate the garbage product

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mean I get it but they'd have been pitching that guy anyway with or without the seven-inning monstrosity of a DH. Peterson, Carrasco, Thor and Lucchesi all on the shelf, can't just start the big three every night and you run out of arms eventually when you have to pitch your #8 and #9 starters.

Nico Hughes

Jun 28, 2021
I mean I get it but they'd have been pitching that guy anyway with or without the seven-inning monstrosity of a DH. Peterson, Carrasco, Thor and Lucchesi all on the shelf, can't just start the big three every night and you run out of arms eventually when you have to pitch your #8 and #9 starters.
Idk. Im new to baseball and I also dont want to make it seem like I didnt have a great time; the ballpark is nice and I had a blast

But it just rubs me the wrong way how things work in baseball. Like why couldnt Walker have pitched today? One extra days rest is the difference between being good and bad?

I was just venting and its something I want to do less. Stop bitching and start enjoying things more.

I standby my comment in 'f*** Manfred' though. And I was robbed of two innings. But past that I enjoyed myself; just a shame that I had to even have a negative thought like that. Wish I could turn that part of my brain off permanently

Nico Hughes

Jun 28, 2021
Apparently the Mets got a steal at 10 in the draft with Kumar Rocker, a RHP from Vanderbilt

Hes already going to be 22 this year, so may not be long until hes in the show

Reactions: Alex NJD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad