OT: 2021 MLB Discussion

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I don't see a dedicated random topic OT thread so I guess this is as good a place as any.

I really enjoyed this article about the 1971 MLB All-Star game. I'm old enough to have watched that game, and it was when baseball was my #1 sport by far. It's insane the number of legends who played in that game.

"Let all the names on this field on this one night sink in: Rod Carew, Brooks Robinson, Luis Aparicio, Frank Robinson, Carl Yastrzemski, Reggie Jackson, Al Kaline, Harmon Killebrew, Jim Palmer, Johnny Bench, Willie McCovey, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Willie Stargell, Lou Brock, Ron Santo, Tom Seaver, Steve Carlton, Ferguson Jenkins, Juan Marichal and Roberto Clemente...."

'All your baseball cards came to life': The night, 50 years ago, when 22 Hall of Famers played in an All-Star Game for the ages

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I know there’s a bunch of you guys who will be interested in this. Gary Thorne is subbing for Gary Cohen on the Mets broadcast tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Wahligator

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I absolutely love how anal about the mets incarcerated bob is, yet he can't handle any heat with the Yankees

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I think the Cubs did what they needed to do, but this week really has to hurt Cub fans emotionally. I don't know if I've seen anything like it so quickly

sabremike

Dr. K Forever!!!
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I don't see a dedicated random topic OT thread so I guess this is as good a place as any.

I really enjoyed this article about the 1971 MLB All-Star game. I'm old enough to have watched that game, and it was when baseball was my #1 sport by far. It's insane the number of legends who played in that game.

"Let all the names on this field on this one night sink in: Rod Carew, Brooks Robinson, Luis Aparicio, Frank Robinson, Carl Yastrzemski, Reggie Jackson, Al Kaline, Harmon Killebrew, Jim Palmer, Johnny Bench, Willie McCovey, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Willie Stargell, Lou Brock, Ron Santo, Tom Seaver, Steve Carlton, Ferguson Jenkins, Juan Marichal and Roberto Clemente...."

'All your baseball cards came to life': The night, 50 years ago, when 22 Hall of Famers played in an All-Star Game for the ages
Here you go, enjoy!!!

Reactions: doublechili

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise

Baseball has been really dry for a while. But, I think things are picking up. Some of the young stars right now are really exciting and adding some flair back to the game. Tatis, Acuna, Guerrero, Ohtoni, Soto, Albies... all fun and interesting players. My daughter is super into baseball. She'll sit and do artwork or do her chores and listen to games on the radio.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Mets really need to cash in on this 10 game NL East stretch before that 13 game SFG-LAD gauntlet.
Watch them do fine against the giants and dodgers. Mets really like playing well against the tougher teams for whatever weird reason this season. Lets see if Miami awakens the bats again because Citi is pretty Shitti for runs
This is a bad baseball team.
i think they can be a better baseball team. They're clearly a very good one but the problem has been so many injuries and declines in some players that they're coasting. I think if they actually had a full year of Degrom and Cookie, they'd be so much better than this right now. Also Conforto hitting below the mendoza line and being pretty much a dead fish at the plate is horrible.

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
Baseball has been really dry for a while. But, I think things are picking up. Some of the young stars right now are really exciting and adding some flair back to the game. Tatis, Acuna, Guerrero, Ohtoni, Soto, Albies... all fun and interesting players. My daughter is super into baseball. She'll sit and do artwork or do her chores and listen to games on the radio.
I know it's a dinosaur view but with launch angles, launch velocities and pitch counts having become more important than hit and runs, suicide squeezes, stolen bases and complete games, baseball will never achieve it's previous glory. The game was just more interesting back then. Not to mention that games were routinely played in just over 2hrs. Great pace to them generally speaking.

And if I can be permitted, the word picture you have painted of your child doing chores while listening to a baseball game on the radio is an evocative one, very much from a bygone era. And not a bad thing at all.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
And if I can be permitted, the word picture you have painted of your child doing chores while listening to a baseball game on the radio is an evocative one, very much from a bygone era. And not a bad thing at all.

Does it change anything if I told you she listens to the games on her Echo?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
The one thing that is saving the Mets is their pitching rotation but without DeGrom it becomes tough.

Meanwhile the Yankees sat Nestor Cortes last night so stat nerd Brian Cashman could have Heaney start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->