2021 Memorial Cup

Providing there is an event to hold - Which finalist will be awarded the 2020 Memorial Cup?

• Total voters

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
A long time away and a lot of obstacles in between but just for argument sake - who holds the best chance to host the 2020 Memorial Cup and why?!

For as much as a place like the Soo would be a really interesting place for the tournament. I have a better feeling that a location like Oshawa would be better suited for travelers especially those who would be from the other to CHL leagues. Assuming flight travel is achievable again after the pandemic tapers down most fans from across the QMJHL and WHL could fly into Person International Airport and find accommodations between the Airport and TCC in Oshawa.

Oshawa has a building capacity of 5,500 and at least 10 hotel/motel nearby within about a 20 drive that would make it easier for fans to get to and from the tournament there are also a fairly large entrance that can be used for walkthrough displays and has one amazing historical area within the TCC.

Theres only 4 hotels near GFL Memorial Gardens in the Soo for all the teams and fans, with a building that holds 5,000 and out of that 4,600 are seated I find the Soo Greyhounds and the city of SSM would have a hard time accommodating all the necessary facilities for those involved would be difficult.

Even when the Windsor Spitfires host the last tournament in 2017 for the OHL representative there were enough accommodations near and around the city to get to WFCU Centre and the on site displays even with a 6,500 capacity building. Even though both of these cities hold long traditional history in the OHL community the city of Oshawa and the Generals would be the best available option for fans, teams, and accommodations for all. Not to also count that even the fans across the OHL that aren't near Oshawa have a better chance and shorter distance to travel to and from Oshawa for the tournament.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
There are plenty of hotels in SSM; you just have to go outside of the downtown core. It's also not a big city so getting from the hotels on the hill to the rink downtown is pretty easy.

Getting TO the town isn't difficult, either. They have an airport or easy access by car via the TransCanada. Is it as easy as Oshawa? No, but not many places will be.

I'd personally love to see it up north. My question would be if the Hounds have the roster that the Generals will have.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
There are plenty of hotels in SSM; you just have to go outside of the downtown core. It's also not a big city so getting from the hotels on the hill to the rink downtown is pretty easy.

Getting TO the town isn't difficult, either. They have an airport or easy access by car via the TransCanada. Is it as easy as Oshawa? No, but not many places will be.

I'd personally love to see it up north. My question would be if the Hounds have the roster that the Generals will have.

Kitchener has zero hotels within walking distance (10-15 min) from the Aud. It wasn't a problem in 2008. They ran free shuttles from all over town to the Aud.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
For as much as a place like the Soo would be a really interesting place for the tournament. I have a better feeling that a location like Oshawa would be better suited for travelers especially those who would be from the other to CHL leagues. Assuming flight travel is achievable again after the pandemic tapers down most fans from across the QMJHL and WHL could fly into Person International Airport and find accommodations between the Airport and TCC in Oshawa.

Oshawa has a building capacity of 5,500 and at least 10 hotel/motel nearby within about a 20 drive that would make it easier for fans to get to and from the tournament there are also a fairly large entrance that can be used for walkthrough displays and has one amazing historical area within the TCC.

Theres only 4 hotels near GFL Memorial Gardens in the Soo for all the teams and fans, with a building that holds 5,000 and out of that 4,600 are seated I find the Soo Greyhounds and the city of SSM would have a hard time accommodating all the necessary facilities for those involved would be difficult.

Even when the Windsor Spitfires host the last tournament in 2017 for the OHL representative there were enough accommodations near and around the city to get to WFCU Centre and the on site displays even with a 6,500 capacity building. Even though both of these cities hold long traditional history in the OHL community the city of Oshawa and the Generals would be the best available option for fans, teams, and accommodations for all. Not to also count that even the fans across the OHL that aren't near Oshawa have a better chance and shorter distance to travel to and from Oshawa for the tournament.

Your post is a little confusing with regards to hotels.

You bring up 10 hotels within a 20 minute drive as a positive for Oshawa?

The Soo has more than 10 branded hotels than that within a 10 minute the drive of the arena. The 4 hotels that you reference are within walking distance. Three of them are literally directly beside the arena. OHL teams walk there from their rooms. It's probably the most convenient city in the league for hotels and puts Oshawa to shame in that regard.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
The big thing to me is the initiative that the OHL has made to include small market teams in the Memorial Cup bidding.

They got their wish and are left with a choice between a small market club and the second largest market in the league. They are wasting their time if they pick Oshawa. Teams like Sudbury, when they get their new arena, are not even going to try if the league ignores their own stated goals and gives the Soo the shaft. It's time to get out of mega cities and hold the cup in a city where hockey is everything. Shawinigan was a massive success for that reason.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
The big thing to me is the initiative that the OHL has made to include small market teams in the Memorial Cup bidding.

They got their wish and are left with a choice between a small market club and the second largest market in the league. They are wasting their time if they pick Oshawa. Teams like Sudbury, when they get their new arena, are not even going to try if the league ignores their own stated goals and gives the Soo the shaft. It's time to get out of mega cities and hold the cup in a city where hockey is everything. Shawinigan was a massive success for that reason.

Hahahah of course.

"Don't reward teams for putting multiple millions into their arenas and making them NHL level because it'll make teams like Sudbury feel bad!" is one hell of a spin zone, but I respect the fact that you actually went with it. Don't ever change Fisch

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Hahahah of course.

"Don't reward teams for putting multiple millions into their arenas and making them NHL level because it'll make teams like Sudbury feel bad!" is one hell of a spin zone, but I respect the fact that you actually went with it. Don't ever change Fisch

I did not create the OHL's initiative to bring the cup to smaller markets. The fact that you disagree with it is no surprise to anyone.

Money alone does not make a successful Memorial Cup. Mississauga was easily the worst of the 6 that I have been to. It's just no fun for a fan in places like Mississauga and Oshawa that are endless urban sprawl with no sense of community. Anyone who has been to a Memorial Cup knows exactly what I mean.

In Shawinigan and London, the Memorial Cup was THE event. Everyone in town was talking about it, every business was in on it, every person was wearing the colours of their team. It's an experience of a lifetime that a mega city can't offer no matter how much money they have.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Kitchener has zero hotels within walking distance (10-15 min) from the Aud. It wasn't a problem in 2008. They ran free shuttles from all over town to the Aud.

Same with Windsor; the closest legitimate hotels (save for a few smaller motels) are 15-20 min away on a good day.

IF the Hounds can get their roster to contender status, the Soo has just as good of a shot as Oshawa. The two towns could go toe-to-toe on hotels and nearby activities, and while Oshawa has easier access (due to the 401), I'd give SSM the edge on that community spirit. (Yes, I've been to both places) That city has something about it that I think would shine during the tournament.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Does anyone know what criteria is used? What is considered important when the teams make their bid presentation?

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Does anyone know what criteria is used? What is considered important when the teams make their bid presentation?

My understanding was that the CHL's Memorial Cup committee has a criteria that is used in the selection process, that are required for an accepted bid. One is having enough facilities within the venue for all 4 teams, another is accommodations for teams and media to be able to stay near the tournament site. Beyond that I believe that the final decision is based on seating capacity that can be used for fans and media both local and national e.g. Sportsnet and the NHL Network are the big ones that make the list of needed criteria. The host city and team also has to guarentee X amount of revenue made by the host city that can be equally split between the host city and the league member teams.

In the OHL my understanding is each team gets a 20th of the profit every year the league hosts a tournament each team gets a slice of the profits so if the league makes a million dollars in profits through advertising and hosting and sales on tickets etc. Each team would roughly get close 50K in profits now out of that I'm not sure how much gets split between the team and city etc.

On top of that each corporate sponsor would be making so much and TV corporations would be making so much back to broadcast the tournament through Sportsnet and the NHL Network.

That's kind of the rough criteria to my understanding now that's based off seeing how 3 tournaments set up and what is on site usually everywhere.

Now I in no way have the exact answers that's just spitballing on what I've understood from talking to people at the 3 previous tournaments I've been to between 2011-2017 and seeing what the tournament has had at those 3 between Mississauga '11, London '14 and Windsor '17. Unless someone else can give a better more detailed answer that would know more on the inner workings of criteria for the tournament then that I would also like to know beyond that listed above the only other thing I know is there is a Facebook group does a Fan breakfast that's by donation back to the local Royal Canadian Legion branch in that specific city and they hold a auction for the a local charity or the legion itself where fans can bid on CHL items and other things.

Unfortunately all that information is a lot of hearsay and second hand information and knowing different people who are connected to teams in different ways. But like I said you'd have to talk to others who are more connected to the league for a more information.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

I wouldn’t get out of mega cities, but I’m on board with seeing that every market has a true chance to host. Pass this event around throughout the league. As far as I’m concerned, any team who has hosted in the last 20 years (Guelph, London, Kitchener, Mississauga, Windsor) need not apply.

The only issue with Shawinigan was the hotel rooms. And the issues/inconveniences were whined about every game by the ones who were rubbed the wrong way by it the most - the broadcast media. The on air panel whined every game about the 2 hour drive back to the hotel after every game.

This may not matter to the average fan, but it does to the broadcasters who carry a lot of weight and influence.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

From Windsor hosting a few things come to mind - state of the art clock, lighting that would support high end HD/ 4K tv ( LED lighting was already in place in Windsor), NHL approve glass falling under current guidelines ( Windsor had to replace theirs), room to support off ice activities. Windsor had 3 community rinks for this which are attached to the WFCU center. Also a venue to host awards and banquets. A ventilation system that would support large crowds and heat load as this is basically summer hockey. Local corporate sponsors ( Windsor had a local auto maker donate 20 minivans to shuttle VIPs to and from the hotels). A large committed volunteer group ( sounds easy until crunch time). There is lots more but not coming to mind right now.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
From Windsor hosting a few things come to mind - state of the art clock, lighting that would support high end HD/ 4K tv ( LED lighting was already in place in Windsor), NHL approve glass falling under current guidelines ( Windsor had to replace theirs), room to support off ice activities. Windsor had 3 community rinks for this which are attached to the WFCU center. Also a venue to host awards and banquets. A ventilation system that would support large crowds and heat load as this is basically summer hockey. Local corporate sponsors ( Windsor had a local auto maker donate 20 minivans to shuttle VIPs to and from the hotels). A large committed volunteer group ( sounds easy until crunch time). There is lots more but not coming to mind right now.

And yet still in my top 5 venues to watch an OHL game as a road fan from a visiting perspective.

Reactions: WindsorHawk

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

That will always be the debate when it comes down to it will the Hounds have the team? Will the Generals have the team? No one will really knows till then that's what makes junior hockey, junior hockey.

Lots of things can happen between now and when they announce who will be the host that will put the extra pressure on one of those teams to make the necessary adjustments to go all in or not.

Gut reaction says Oshawa beacsue of there geographical position from Pearson IA with the 401 right there but on the other hand a place like the Soo would be a good selling point for a team that has been very consistent and competitive the past number of years who many not get as much recognition as say a place like London or Ottawa might.

The other thing to consider is will fans buy into the tournament during these times of medical uncertainties will the CHL allow for maximum capacity crowds with cooperation from the province? And will the capacity of sporting events be capped because of it?

These are all questions that will need to be addressed before I believe either team will be able to put a firm bid in for the tournament. Not to also count how many X hundreds of volunteers that will be needed extra on top of what a normal tournament will need to get fans in and out of the arena grounds in both places safely with health precautions in place.

Like right off the hop how many extra volunteers you'll need to screen people and will the league put in temperature checkpoints for fans and staff on top of what the CHL will likely have to put in place for next regular season.

I think there's gonna be a lot more that will be needed to be in place before we see who gets the tournament. I would not surprise me that before the season gets going that you will see mass health screenings for the start of the season that will be in place for next season at least if not longer.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I wouldn’t get out of mega cities, but I’m on board with seeing that every market has a true chance to host. Pass this event around throughout the league. As far as I’m concerned, any team who has hosted in the last 20 years (Guelph, London, Kitchener, Mississauga, Windsor) need not apply.

The only issue with Shawinigan was the hotel rooms. And the issues/inconveniences were whined about every game by the ones who were rubbed the wrong way by it the most - the broadcast media. The on air panel whined every game about the 2 hour drive back to the hotel after every game.

This may not matter to the average fan, but it does to the broadcasters who carry a lot of weight and influence.

I don't know for sure where everyone stayed, but I believe most of the media was at Hotel Shawinigan (or something like that) right near the arena. I stayed at a nice little motel just outside of Trois Riviers and had a 20 minute drive to the arena.

It's unfortunate that broadcasters have to air their dirty laundry on television because that was about as good as a Memorial Cup can be in my opinion. I hope they get it again in my lifetime, the community was just the best.

Reactions: EvenSteven

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Whoever gives branch the most money to put in his pocket.
At least there is multiple teams wanting to host. Unlike another time.......

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I did 30 minutes in Rimouski; had no issues at all. Great, scenic drive, lots of restaurants/stores between hotel and arena, and it can make for some great off-time as you explore.

Not for everyone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->