25. Sean Durzi, D (40.4%), -2
26. Jacob Ingham, G (30.0%, tiebreaker), -2
27. Aatu Jamsen, F (40.5%), -1
28. Ben Meehan, D (37.5%), +0
29. Aidan Dudas, F (28.1%, tiebreaker), -10
30. Johan Sodergran, F (29.5%), +4
31. Juho Markkanen, G (28.0%), +0
32. David Hrenak, G (46.2%), +4

Last year's rankings for comparisons (and what I'm referencing for "change of last year"): Prospect Info: - 2020 Los Angeles Kings Prospect Rankings #40

Here are the rules I'll be following:

- I won't vote unless it's a tie breaker. So there should never be an "overtime" or tie to keep this going.
- the crieteria for prospects is straightforward: they have to be eligible to win the calder, and the Kings must own the player's rights, whether it's through the draft or an SPC (so AHL-only contracts don't count, but a player like Tkachev counts, since he is Calder-eligible)
- use whatever criteria you wish for the next best available. Raw skill? Upside? NHL readiness? Progress since drafted? Astrological Sign?

Nobody left to nominate!

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Doyle probably? Then Villalta?

IMO Villalta had his opportunity and kept blowing it.

He's good for a highlight reel save every night and then having no focus for the easy stuff. Too leaky for me. One of his biggest knocks was consistency and it seems to have gotten worse. The athleticism/tools are there, the mental focus/tenacity is absolutely not. I don't think he even has much of an AHL future.

Reactions: King'sPawn

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
IMO Villalta had his opportunity and kept blowing it.

He's good for a highlight reel save every night and then having no focus for the easy stuff. Too leaky for me. One of his biggest knocks was consistency and it seems to have gotten worse. The athleticism/tools are there, the mental focus/tenacity is absolutely not. I don't think he even has much of an AHL future.

"Seems to have gotten worse"... based on what? From when?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
"Seems to have gotten worse"... based on what? From when?

Well I'm referring specifically to his inconsistency--he doesn't bring it night after night. He has nights where he puts it all together and looks good (rarely great), and nights where he'll make the AHL highlight reel for a save but let a bad angle dribbler lose the game. Even if we write last year off as a covid year, he hasn't shown much growth, especially WRT to other goalies in the organization and around his draft. IMO he's our worst prospect.

upload_2021-9-2_9-54-25.png

Can't really see anyone going to bat to him when he hasn't had a single pro season over .900, and his junior numbers sagged year over year over year (albeit on a weakening team).

I guess you could make the case he hasn't played that many games and still bank on his raw tools which I think are great but that's all it would be, he's a longshot prayer at this point. Where's the upside beyond others?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Well I'm referring specifically to his inconsistency--he doesn't bring it night after night. He has nights where he puts it all together and looks good (rarely great), and nights where he'll make the AHL highlight reel for a save but let a bad angle dribbler lose the game. Even if we write last year off as a covid year, he hasn't shown much growth, especially WRT to other goalies in the organization and around his draft. IMO he's our worst prospect.

View attachment 463402

Can't really see anyone going to bat to him when he hasn't had a single pro season over .900, and his junior numbers sagged year over year over year (albeit on a weakening team).

I guess you could make the case he hasn't played that many games and still bank on his raw tools which I think are great but that's all it would be, he's a longshot prayer at this point. Where's the upside beyond others?

Yup. Numbers aren't the be-all, end-all, but even Martin Jones put up ridiculous numbers in the WHL. Not Carter Hart level, but very convincing numbers.

Villalta has had decreasing numbers every year. Even when you expect a goalie on a bad team to have numbers inflated by volumes of shots against. Someone like Ingham or Hrenak have had down seasons, but then they pick back up (I'm omitting Parik from this point due to the variety of teams and leagues he's played in the past few years, there's no frame of reference).

Even if not watching the stats, the volume of stoppable goals or mismanaged goals veers on the higher side relative to other goalies I watch in similar situations (though I admit that could be my bias kicking in).

One of my easiest rankings was having Villalta as the lowest ranked goalie in the org. The only easier ranking was putting Byfield first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad