Kristiāns Rubīns - Uvis Balinskis
Oskars Cibuļskis - Jānis Jaks
Kristaps Sotnieks - Ralfs Freibergs
Gunārs Skvorcovs/Artūrs Kulda - Kristaps Zīle

Matīss Kivlenieks, Ivars Punnenovs, Jānis Kalniņš

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I like the way the lines are set up now.

The big question is whether to ice a pure shutdown line with Batna and maybe even Marenis or to go with Redlihs and Bukarts on the 4th, both of whom can skate and actually score.

I would probably go with Batna and switch up Krastenbergs/Marenis with one or both of Redlihs/Rih Bukarts

Reactions: GX

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah I'm really impressed with Hartley's love for Marenis. I mean he has some positive qualities but not at this level..

Roberts Bukarts also better pick his shit up because against the Swiss he was useless as per usual against anything better than C grade opponent.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Yeah I'm really impressed with Hartley's love for Marenis. I mean he has some positive qualities but not at this level..

Roberts Bukarts also better pick his shit up because against the Swiss he was useless as per usual against anything better than C grade opponent.

Hey, Bukarts is exactly the same case as Milan Gulaš (before him Petr Ton and others) for CZE. I call this "Extraliga-syndrome". You have a player who scores over 1 point per game in Extraliga, then he comes onto the international level and is barely average. Then you have other guys who score like 30 points in 50 games in Extraliga and are performing pretty good at the WCH. It is because Extraliga is obsessed with the term "smart hockey", it is so much about positioning and "smart play patterns", which however cannot work when you are playing really strong, fast etc. opponents. So you have a guy there who knows perfectly what slot to skate into and when, always has his head up, can shoot and so on, and he is a king of Extraliga, and at the same time useless on the international level. Then you have a guy who cannot play this "smart", but can skate well and be physical, and while he is considered a 2nd tier player in Extraliga, he performs great on the international level. There have been so many such players.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo

Well, he is relentless and gritty. A budget version of Girgensons, if you will. You can line-match him against top lines in the offensive zone to kill the possession and hold on to the puck, etc. We don't have many players capable of doing that.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Batna plays in French League. Krastenbergs in ICEHL. Marenis in Sweden3. There is probaly many better players even in Latvian league than those 3 guys.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Batna plays in French League. Krastenbergs in ICEHL. Marenis in Sweden3. There is probaly many better players even in Latvian league than those 3 guys.
Marenis used to play on the same team as the son of the Latvian hockey federation. I think the son actually used to be active on hfboards earlier.

Not that I'm implying anything.

As for Batna, nope. We're sorely lacking large-bodied centermen. There's one in AHL, but apparently they weren't willing to invite him straight to the final roster without testing him first.

Ditto for Krastenbergs, he's actually considered talented. Latvian forwards tend to be late bloomers and he could be a leading ICEHL forward next season. Which is not that bad for someone barely making the 4th line, if at all.

KendoYanar

May 6, 2011
Is Kivlenieks clear number one goalie or will they share the games with Kalnins or Punnenovs? Who starts against Canada?

JohnWillow

May 27, 2015
Is Kivlenieks clear number one goalie or will they share the games with Kalnins or Punnenovs? Who starts against Canada?
I think Kivlenieks starts against Canada and the net will be shared by Kivlenieks and Kalnins if i had to guess.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
He should be the back-up goalie, but since we have a North American coach, he might not be in agreement.

Reactions: GX

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
We certainly take these! If not for the freaking covid, there would be almost riots on streets :(

Reactions: wunderpanda

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Great game from Latvia. Good shot at making QF’s now. Have to win out against Italy, Norway and Kazakhstan however and hope Germany drops points
It's all up for grabs now. It's very likely this wasn't the only upset.

As I've been saying, this Group B is the most evenly matched preliminary group of any IIHF senior-level elite competition in history.

There are 7 teams capable of snatching points against each other. Yes, that includes Kazakhstan.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
Massive win, but I have to admit that I low-key expected it ! It´s a shame I couldn´t see this game.

Hopefully, you´ll avoid a similar scenario as Slovakia at the home WCH 2019. After a huge win against the USA 4-1 in the opening game, we subsequently collapsed in the last minutes of the game against Germany and eventually didn´t advance to QFs. But I don´t think it will happen to you. Latvia has a great goaltending, chemistry and experienced team, at the same time. The medal does not have to be a distant target, imho.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Massive win, but I have to admit that I low-key expected it ! It´s a shame I couldn´t see this game.

Hopefully, you´ll avoid a similar scenario as Slovakia at the home WCH 2019. After a huge win against the USA 4-1 in the opening game, we subsequently collapsed in the last minutes of the game against Germany and eventually didn´t advance to QFs. But I don´t think it will happen to you. Latvia has a great goaltending, chemistry and experienced team, at the same time. The medal does not have to be a distant target, imho.

Yes, I remember, great memories for me....

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
Nice 1, always knew that Southern Estonia is also capable of accomplishing remarkable things.. especially icehockeywise õ)

Longshot probably, but why not: the final game will be Northern Estonia vs Southern Estonia
(FIN-LAT for those not geographically up-to-date)

Last edited:

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
Yes, I remember, great memories for me....
Unfortunately, I can´t tell the same. It was heartbreaking moment for me, but you´ll get used to it if you are Slovak fan:DD Anyway, no Draisaitl, no party (and this time no Stuetzle, as well). That is the main reason why I don´t expect Latvia to experience something similar.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Bez-naslova.png

My post from May of 2020. doesn't seems to be so unrealistic right now :)

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Kalnins in goal versus Kazakstan?
It would make sense, but you never know. The 3rd game is against Italy, so if Hartley considers Kivlenieks to be our 1st goalie, he might as well start him tomorrow and then rest him for a couple of days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad