Speculation: 2021-22 Kraken Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Being completely new to hockey, what holes are left in the team in order to at least make the play offs and who can we realistically sign to fill them?

Sounds like we need a center but don't necessarily have the draft/prospects capital to trade for a top one?

BeniersIsKraken

2022-23 Adopted Kraken: Matty Beniers
Jul 24, 2021
Anyone have interest in trading for a reclamation C prospect like Monahan if the price is right?

BeniersIsKraken

Jul 24, 2021
Being completely new to hockey, what holes are left in the team in order to at least make the play offs and who can we realistically sign to fill them?

Sounds like we need a center but don't necessarily have the draft/prospects capital to trade for a top one?

As currently constructed, I think we have a team that is a playoff contender (on paper). With Gourde out for the first couple months of the season, the only glaring hole is really 1C (even with him healthy, it's debatable whether he'd be better as a 2C too). We could use a C who is really good on face-offs and is a playmaker that can score over 60 points in a season.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
As currently constructed, I think we have a team that is a playoff contender (on paper). With Gourde out for the first couple months of the season, the only glaring hole is really 1C (even with him healthy, it's debatable whether he'd be better as a 2C too). We could use a C who is really good on face-offs and is a playmaker that can score over 60 points in a season.
I think a playmaking forward to add in the top-6 would the major hole I would look to add. Since a 'C' is going to hard to get maybe get a legit top-6 winger if possible. Based on our current roster, our D and G positions are strong. The forward depth is excellent but the top-6 lacks in high-end skill and scoring.

McCann, Eberle, Schwartz, Gourde are all legit top-6 forwards. Donskoi, Appleton and Wennberg are tweeners who can fit into the top-6 in a pinch. Appleton/Wennberg have the upside to perform better in expanded roles but it is advisable to add one more top-6 forward because Gourde will not be available to start playing till December and that will end up forcing 2 of Donskoi, Appleton or Wennberg in those roles. That is not ideal.

Reactions: BeniersIsKraken

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
I think a playmaking forward to add in the top-6 would the major hole I would look to add. Since a 'C' is going to hard to get maybe get a legit top-6 winger if possible. Based on our current roster, our D and G positions are strong. The forward depth is excellent but the top-6 lacks in high-end skill and scoring.

McCann, Eberle, Schwartz, Gourde are all legit top-6 forwards. Donskoi, Appleton and Wennberg are tweeners who can fit into the top-6 in a pinch. Appleton/Wennberg have the upside to perform better in expanded roles but it is advisable to add one more top-6 forward because Gourde will not be available to start playing till December and that will end up forcing 2 of Donskoi, Appleton or Wennberg in those roles. That is not ideal.
I think we’re still a legitimate 1C away from that lineup looking solid top to bottom. Problem is, teams aren’t exactly lining up to trade their 1Cs, and I don’t see any remaining on the UFA list. I know offer sheets are exceptionally rare for a reason, but it makes you wonder about extending one to Pettersson and really put Vancouver in a bind. Talk about weaponizing your cap space, right?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think we’re still a legitimate 1C away from that lineup looking solid top to bottom. Problem is, teams aren’t exactly lining up to trade their 1Cs, and I don’t see any remaining on the UFA list. I know offer sheets are exceptionally rare for a reason, but it makes you wonder about extending one to Pettersson and really put Vancouver in a bind. Talk about weaponizing your cap space, right?
We are not going to get a legitimate 1C in trades, even if one was available, because we just don't have expendable assets. The closest we can get is trading for the likes of Strome (NYR) or Monahan (CF).

I just get the feeling that GMRF is not interested in making any such big trades. Not in the first season anyway. And since the FA market does not really have a legit 1C we are likely to show some interest in Saad, Henrique, Tatar, etc. to fill that hole in the top-6.

Or GMRF is just going to roll the die and hope that one of Appleton, Wennberg legitimately step into those top-6 roles.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The smartest C signing would be a one year offer to Kreijci. Put him and some other less two-way guys in extremely favourable offensive zone starts. Guy can still run a PP and can still feed his wingers goals. Put him with Eberle and I bet you're looking at two 60 point guys, which is low end 1st line production.

This lineup is deeper than people who don't get why Price and Tarasenko's poison pill contracts weren't drafted.

I don't think there's any reason to rush to a target 1C's in a trade. Again, Vegas made the conference finals with Chandler Stephenson playing between their best wingers. Fit, play style, are all going to factor into how the team grows.

Seattle's going to have 3 and maybe 4 lines that can hold their own playing against any competition....that's valuable....again see Vegas' success early....they didn't exactly have any stars.

BeniersIsKraken

Jul 24, 2021
We are not going to get a legitimate 1C in trades, even if one was available, because we just don't have expendable assets. The closest we can get is trading for the likes of Strome (NYR) or Monahan (CF).

I just get the feeling that GMRF is not interested in making any such big trades. Not in the first season anyway. And since the FA market does not really have a legit 1C we are likely to show some interest in Saad, Henrique, Tatar, etc. to fill that hole in the top-6.

Or GMRF is just going to roll the die and hope that one of Appleton, Wennberg legitimately step into those top-6 roles.

Funny, I just mentioned Monahan as an option above. Any interest in him as a reclamation project?

I'm not sure where I stand on Tatar. He's a productive player but there's a disturbing trend of seeing him scratched in important playoff games across two different teams. I get that the goal is the make the playoffs first and he would fill an obvious need in our forward group, but I'm also hesitant in committing relatively big money and term on a guy that was deemed superfluous to Vegas and Montreal in the playoffs.

BeniersIsKraken

Jul 24, 2021
The smartest C signing would be a one year offer to Kreijci. Put him and some other less two-way guys in extremely favourable offensive zone starts. Guy can still run a PP and can still feed his wingers goals. Put him with Eberle and I bet you're looking at two 60 point guys, which is low end 1st line production.

This lineup is deeper than people who don't get why Price and Tarasenko's poison pill contracts weren't drafted.

I don't think there's any reason to rush to a target 1C's in a trade. Again, Vegas made the conference finals with Chandler Stephenson playing between their best wingers. Fit, play style, are all going to factor into how the team grows.

Seattle's going to have 3 and maybe 4 lines that can hold their own playing against any competition....that's valuable....again see Vegas' success early....they didn't exactly have any stars.

I agree with almost everything except the notion that Vegas didn't have stars. Fleury was certainly a star and all of Karlsson, Marchessault, McNabb and Theodore became breakout stars during their inaugural season. Of all those players, Marchessault was definitely one that many predicted would break out and just needed more of an opportunity (he had really good numbers throughout Jr, the AHL and in his first full season with the Panthers).

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
But the only star on that team when they started was Fleury. Nobody was predicting the level to which any of those other guys would break out. It still seems unbelievable and we've seen it for 4 years.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I agree with almost everything except the notion that Vegas didn't have stars. Fleury was certainly a star and all of Karlsson, Marchessault, McNabb and Theodore became breakout stars during their inaugural season. Of all those players, Marchessault was definitely one that many predicted would break out and just needed more of an opportunity (he had really good numbers throughout Jr, the AHL and in his first full season with the Panthers).
Absolutely nobody was calling them stars in advance of the season is the point I’m getting at. Yes Marchessault and Karlsson found chemistry and elevated but before the puck dropped they were not seen as stars. Marchessault was thought of as a good get for sure. And Florida got laughed at for protecting a defensman they waived a few months later.

McNabb still isn’t a star. He’s a solid stay at home player. Seattle drafted a couple of these.

The idea that Eakin, Perron, Neal, and Haula was some elite top 9 group and not comparable to McCann, Appleton, Blackwell, Eberle etc is just nonsense.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Stole this post because someone identified the feelings around Vegas after their draft.

I’ll add the quote from the hockey writers which I thought really drove the point home

https://thehockeywriters.com/predictions-2017-18-nhl-season/

Vegas Expectations
Just like any expansion team in any league, the Vegas Golden Knights will be in tough.
Goaltending is the only area not in question. Marc-Andre Fleury will shoulder a heavy workload this season and will give his team the opportunity to win its fair share of games. But it won’t be enough.
Despite the solid goaltending Fleury will provide, the Golden Knights don’t yet have the firepower or depth to consistently compete with organizations that have been building their rosters for years.
The top line of Jonathan Marchessault, Vadim Shipachyov, and Reilly Smith should have no problem finding the back of the net, but the remaining three lines will struggle mightily.

Reactions: 4Twenty

BeniersIsKraken

Jul 24, 2021
Absolutely nobody was calling them stars in advance of the season is the point I’m getting at. Yes Marchessault and Karlsson found chemistry and elevated but before the puck dropped they were not seen as stars. Marchessault was thought of as a good get for sure. And Florida got laughed at for protecting a defensman they waived a few months later.

McNabb still isn’t a star. He’s a solid stay at home player. Seattle drafted a couple of these.

The idea that Eakin, Perron, Neal, and Haula was some elite top 9 group and not comparable to McCann, Appleton, Blackwell, Eberle etc is just nonsense.

Marchessault clearly had star potential. Anyone who has 51 points in their first full season at age 26 is a player with definite star potential.

McNabb has been a 1A/1B (yes, they have two top line pairings) pairing dman for a Vegas team that has gone to the Cup Finals once and the Conference Finals twice in the past four seasons. He's considered one of their best defenseman behind Pietrangelo, so if that's not considered a star level player, then I don't know what is. Just because you're a more defensively minded defenseman, does not mean you are not considered a star.

Last edited:

wraparound

May 17, 2014
Henrique could probably be had for cheap from Anaheim; both he & the Ducks seem ready to move on, perhaps to the point where Ducks could retain $1-2mil on his 3x $5.825m contract.

FCH37

Jun 22, 2021
Henrique, Bergeron, Krejci are good at faceoffs.
Bergeron is a B for life. If anyone somehow gets Krejci I will be shocked. He might be the biggest reason why Hall signed with Boston. (would love to have either though)

BeniersIsKraken

Jul 24, 2021
What do the Blackhawks need to send over for Vince Dunn

We need top 6 forwards, and preferably ones with scoring potential, so I'd personally be looking at DeBrincat. We'd need to add to the deal though, as I'm sure DeBrincat's value is higher.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Bergeron is a B for life. If anyone somehow gets Krejci I will be shocked. He might be the biggest reason why Hall signed with Boston. (would love to have either though)
Yeah, know Bergeron off limits but he good example of face-off winning percentage. Think should go after Henrique but he has 3 more years at cap of under 6 million. Really, expensive to bad not on 1 year contract left. Krejci it's highly doubtful but he another example of great at the point. Let's face it some of the bigger names are for sure off limits or if going to cost to much in trade assets.

Reactions: FCH37

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
We need top 6 forwards, and preferably ones with scoring potential, so I'd personally be looking at DeBrincat. We'd need to add to the deal though, as I'm sure DeBrincat's value is higher.
Unfortunately Debrincat is untouchable. Certainly could toss in Strome+

Piffle

Oct 31, 2007

DeBrincat scored 41 goals as a 20 year old, and paced for more than that in last year's shortened season. We don't have the assets to acquire him in any sane way. Doesn't matter how much we add.

Chicago doesn't have anything else that would be helpful for us. Strome is not a good addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->