GDT: 2021 Kraken Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Prospects do fall for many reasons. Injury, size, interviews, off ice issues, etc. With Evans we aren't looking at a falling player, but a huge
reach. A prospect who most likely would have been available in the third round. Further, in the Kraken case it was a high second round pick
at #35. Even in a covid year, it's more than just analytics it's about judging value and when to select a certain player. As fans you hope for the best, but that doesn't mean that we operate under rose colored glasses and just adopt a wait and see situation. Certainly, we can look at some of the questionable picks GMRF has made and some of the other deals that for whatever reason he hasn't made and begin to see a certain pattern.
Even if early on in the process, we are learning just what the Kraken have an don't have in a GM.

Regarding the bolded. It is the opposite. With limited games and sample size, it is all the more important to focus on advanced stats.

The whole idea of 'reach' is based on scouting reports that are available publicly. Teams have their own lists and scouting reports. At first glance, it does look like Evans is a reach based on those reports. But then you look at his advanced stats and it does not surprise me at all that we grabbed him. My point is, does not matter if we think it is a reach. It was not a reach for Ron Francis' board.

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
Regarding the bolded. It is the opposite. With limited games and sample size, it is all the more important to focus on advanced stats.

The whole idea of 'reach' is based on scouting reports that are available publicly. Teams have their own lists and scouting reports. At first glance, it does look like Evans is a reach based on those reports. But then you look at his advanced stats and it does not surprise me at all that we grabbed him. My point is, does not matter if we think it is a reach. It was not a reach for Ron Francis' board.
Yup. Team boards matter.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I may agonize over how the expansion draft or free agency goes, but can't really complain about draft picks taken after the obvious Beniers choice due to not knowing as much about them compared to other years.
Evans and Winterton sound fine to me.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Only four more rounds.

giphy.gif

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
FC Hockey had him at #202
Most scouting services he was unranked.
NHL Scouting had him at #90 just based on EU skaters, not North America.

Looks like Francis and company have there own list. It's admirable to stay loyal to your draft board and support your scouting department.
However, only to the point where that list is in fact a good representation of the talent available..

Reactions: kihei

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
All your 6-5 defensemen are belong to us!

I am sensing a theme... surely we must be way over league size aversge.

Yep. Most definitely a theme and I will admit that I am not a big fan of it. There seems to be a big focus on defense-first and size than skill and high-upside. Need a mix of both so hopefully Francis makes some boom/bust type of skilled picks.

SwedeKraken

Jul 24, 2021
Stockholm, Sweden
Yep. Most definitely a theme and I will admit that I am not a big fan of it. There seems to be a big focus on defense-first and size than skill and high-upside. Need a mix of both so hopefully Francis makes some boom/bust type of skilled picks.
Yup, I can see the hits but not the goals. I am thinking the Kraken thinks there will be a some cap casualties this or next year that can provide. A flat cap can be leveraged as a weapon if you have cap room.

Reactions: andys

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yup, I can see the hits but not the goals. I am thinking the Kraken thinks there will be a some cap casualties this or next year that can provide. A flat cap can be leveraged as a weapon if you have cap room.

Yep. And it is annoying for me to see this because I am coming over the Sharks who did exactly this for years before handing over the scouting/drafting to Doug Wilson Jr within the last few years. They focus on advanced stats too but skill is the other thing they look at.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Players use to be able to opt out! Dany Heatley did it in 1999 and got drafted very high in 2000 by the Atlanta Thrashers(remember them)
The way I read it is that once you sign up for the draft, you cannot withdraw. However, if selected, what you can do is just refuse to sign. In that case, you are draft eligible again in 2 more years.

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
Players use to be able to opt out! Dany Heatley did it in 1999 and got drafted very high in 2000 by the Atlanta Thrashers(remember them)

Different rules under different CBA. And technically he did not opt out. He simply did not opt in to the draft. The requirement of opting in to the draft was eliminated in 2005.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Different rules under different CBA. And technically he did not opt out. He simply did not opt in to the draft. The requirement of opting in to the draft was eliminated in 2005.
He did opt out and players could do that then when they thought they could improve their draft stock by playing another year of Junior or in Heatley's case College!

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
OK, so it feels like I just ate, cleaned up and slept a whole day and we're still just midway through the 6ht round...

Who TF thinks that this is something anyone wants or enjoys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad