Red Sox/MLB 2021 Hot Stove III - Jackie Bradley Jr. Signs w/ Brewers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
he more or less complained about having to hire translators for players that don’t speak English and talked about deliberately manipulating service time of their premier prospects (Which every team does, you’re just not supposed to say it out loud)

he gave the MLBPA a bunch of ammo
@CDJ nailed it. I posted the transcript because of the pure audacity and ego that Mather had/has in talking about inside information with ... the Rotary Club. You just have to read it for yourself. This is the type of lack of self-control that gets people fined, fired, and banned from the sport. It's one of the things that I appreciate about Bloom. When he is asked a question, his answer on the surface seems so detailed and deep, until you actually listen to it or read the transcript. That's when you realize that he answers questions with a whole lot of nothing.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
How is Payamps? They must like him enough.

very average but he’s better depth than what we entered last year with

edit: just to give people a comp I’ve seen thrown on him- Jesse Chavez. Low 90s, very ok stuff, but can fill a variety of roles. Pretty much a utility arm. Good depth to store in Worcester if possible (he’ll probably be DFA’d again in the coming months, hopefully he clears....if not oh well)

Last edited:

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Hopefully the news is him signing somewhere else.
My guess is Milwaukee, but Bloom has consistently said he is keeping in touch until he signs somewhere. The interest from the Brewers might have started moving the needle and Bloom re-engaged in talks. While the latter doesn’t seem to fit Bloom’s plan, it’s a classic Boras move.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Leiter will cost every cent and maybe more. Can 4th overall sign for over slot?

They absolutely can. Each team is designated with a certain pool of money depending on where their picks fall. You can use that pool however you’d like

the good news with the 4th slot is that it’s a pretty big number so it’s hard to turn down

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Leiter will cost every cent and maybe more. Can 4th overall sign for over slot?

The college players often have less leverage because their other option is to go back for their senior year and senior college draftees usually get paid pennies. Leiter is a bit of an unusual situation because he's the rare draft eligible sophomore, like Benintendi, so he could go back to Vanderbilt for 2 more years if he wanted to.

Bloom strikes me as a guy who will try to go under slot at #4 so that he can then grab a faller at their second pick, #40, but we'll see.

Right now, my feeling is that if Leiter, Rocker, or Lawler are there at #4, you just take them and use the bonus money that way. Assuming they're all gone, the next group of players are all close together, so I'd sign the best underslot one I could and then use the savings on my 2nd round pick.

Reactions: DKH

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It's early, but for me, it's one of the starters (Leiter, Rocker, Hill) or one of the shortstops (Lawler, McLain, Mayer).

Fortunately, both are organizational needs.

the way Brady House has come out to start his season has him possibly joining that SS mix too

Kids got loud power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad