2021 Hlinka Gretzky

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Will this tourney go ahead this year or be cancelled again due to COVID-19?

U18 Championships recently took place, World Championships are about to take place. I see no reason why this tournament will be canceled especially considering more people will be vaccinated in a few months time

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
There’s no reason it won’t, I bet fans will be there as well. Hoping I can get tickets to games of fans are allowed. Should be a really good tournament with all these talented 2004s and 2005s.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
It should happen... I'd also bet on Canada.. could be an anhilation

I wouldn't bet on an annihilation...I'd put more money on Hockey Canada leaving Bedard and Wright off the u18 roster and moving them up to the u20 team. Since they both should be on the u20 at Christmas, probably not a bad idea. The mistake would be leaving Bedard off the u18 next spring if he's available due to Hockey Canada's "graduation" policy. Wright will probably get an invite to the Senior Men's tournament if available. But we shall see. If Kingston is not a contender, he gets traded to OHL Mem Cup contender and won't be available.

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
But i have such feeling, it will be played in Canada.

HGC will be in Slovakia and Czechia, the Slovak Ice Hockey Association confirmed it 2 months ago. But more information is still missing. Hopefully we'll know more soon.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
But i have such feeling, it will be played in Canada.

The US is ahead of us for vaccinations right now so who knows could be there . Not sure how Slovakia/ Czech is doing since that is where the tourney is usually held

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
The US is ahead of us for vaccinations right now so who knows could be there . Not sure how Slovakia/ Czech is doing since that is where the tourney is usually held

In Slovakia we're currently at around 26% for first shot and 12% for both shots, but the speed is picking up as of this month. Also, the % is probably higher for Bratislava where the tournament has been played the last few times.

Czechs are at 30% first dose and 11% for second dose. I assume they will also pick up the speed as the increase of speed for Slovakia is helped by Pfizer doses that all of EU is getting this quarter.

Anyway, the situation for both countries has been pretty stable lately and everything seems to suggest that it should be good enough for the tournament to take place here. We even had limited numbers of fans in attendance for the top league final a few weeks back, so spectators might be allowed as well.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
A Hlinka without Canada???? This is their tourney.lol

upload_2021-5-22_17-21-45.png

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Any idea why no team canada?

Who knows really, but probably due to a couple of reasons, Hockey Canada feeling sufficiently satisfied that they flexed their muscles at the recently completed IIHF U18 tournament and decided a better allocation of time and recourses would be the U20 summer camp. Can't lose that one. Back in Edmonton this time with fans...

+ by early to mid August most, if not all, junior teams are in training camp preparing for the season, and after a difficult year for the CHL it's probably better to leave players with their club teams to prepare for a CHL restart.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Russia will probably be the favorites if Canada does indeed not go. USA would also have a strong team (I wonder if they go same route as Canada or do indeed send a team). Without Canada and USA it would be Euro cup.

How I hope we line up:

Mesar - Dvorsky - Slafkovsky
Zlnka - Petrovsky - Molnar
Ciernik - Gabriel - Sotek
Sykora - Repcik - Ridzon
Bartakovics

Nemec - Kmec
Natny- Strbak
Eperjesi- Chromiak
Zabka

Elias, Korec, Urban

Reactions: JotAlan

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Utterly ridiculous if Canada doesn’t go.

This is such a good tournament.

Canada just had a good result winning Gold in the U-18s which was pretty close to a best-on-best but we didn’t have any QMJHL players it was just guys from Ontario and Western Canada.

The Hlinka Gretzky Cup is an important tournament on the hockey calendar and only time Canada generally can send a best-on-best roster at the U-18 level.

Reactions: wetcoast

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Who knows really, but probably due to a couple of reasons, Hockey Canada feeling sufficiently satisfied that they flexed their muscles at the recently completed IIHF U18 tournament and decided a better allocation of time and recourses would be the U20 summer camp. Can't lose that one. Back in Edmonton this time with fans...

+ by early to mid August most, if not all, junior teams are in training camp preparing for the season, and after a difficult year for the CHL it's probably better to leave players with their club teams to prepare for a CHL restart.
Good post.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The CHL should probably buy Sputnik 5, if getting vaccines is such a problem in Canada. We had it in abundance anyway, because most people just don't give a damn for vaccinating.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The CHL should probably buy Sputnik 5, if getting vaccines is such a problem in Canada. We had it in abundance anyway, because most people just don't give a damn for vaccinating.
Lots of vaccines coming in June and July. There should be no issues by the end of the summer.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
So there is a chance Canada will play at the tournament?

Fingers crossed. Seems like insanity if we’re not there at such an important U-18 event.

The Hlinka Gretzky Cup is excellent hockey every year and is usually the most important event for Hockey Canada amongst non senior level besides the U-20 WJC. Even at the WJC we can’t send a best-on-best team like we can here.

I’m hoping for Bedard v Michkov round 2. Those U-18s we just watched were incredible, it would a shame if Canada wasn’t at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup in August.

Reactions: wetcoast

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
So there is a chance Canada will play at the tournament?
I think someone posted we will NOT be playing at HG. No room for negotiation. Canada will not be there.

I was talking about vaccines vs the CHL season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->