WJC: 2021 groups

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Looks like we will have another "group of death" next year, but Austria will be the victim.

Group A (Edmonton)
1 Canada
4 Finland
5 Switzerland
8 Slovakia
9 Germany

Group B (Red Deer)
2 Russia
3 Sweden
6 USA
7 Czech Republic
10 Austria

--

It is possible that we see Slovakia playing for relegation. It is possible that they will make changes to the groups, but a little more balanced anyway. Sorry if I offended someone by making this before the gold medal game is played.

Last edited:

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
We're expecting a slightly better Slovak team next year compared to the one we've had this year. Those following the 2001/2002 age groups for Germany and Switzerland, what's the outlook compared to 2000?

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's a big advantage being in the tougher group for the stronger teams. Your team gets tested early and you can set yourself up for a much easier QF. Canada being in that Finland group actually looks like it would make for a dull start to the tournament.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
It's a big advantage being in the tougher group for the stronger teams. Your team gets tested early and you can set yourself up for a much easier QF. Canada being in that Finland group actually looks like it would make for a dull start to the tournament.
Yeah, it also means you will get a hard team to play against in the quarterfinal no matter how well you play.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Looking at those groups could be either Sweden/USA for Canada or Finland/Switzerland. The former produces the harder matches which could be more beneficial in the long run.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
This is some BS that Finland is in the weak group again. I wanted Finland to be in the harder group this year and the next year.

Only positive I find is that Finland is locked to stay in Roger's Place for the entire tournament as long as Finland and Canada are the two top seeds of their group. So there's actually an advantage next time to be in the weak group compared to the U20 tournament that just ended, but I would still prefer over that some more competitive preliminary games and a higher chance to be rewarded with a weaker QF opponent.

Reactions: FinPanda

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
This is some BS that Finland is in the weak group again. I wanted Finland to be in the harder group this year and the next year.

Only positive I find is that Finland is locked to stay in Roger's Place for the entire tournament as long as Finland and Canada are the two top seeds of their group. So there's actually an advantage next time to be in the weak group compared to the U20 tournament that just ended, but I would still prefer over that some more competitive preliminary games and a higher chance to be rewarded with a weaker QF opponent.
I agree. Harder group, win games => easier quarterfinal opponent. This sucks.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->