WC: 2021 Great Britain roster talk

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
I'm just hoping some of the higher rated junior prospects pan out in time led by Liam Steele. The lack of a coordinated development programme between clubs and their owners and IHUK is abominable. So is the lack of exposure both in media and to kids who could try out for the sport given the paucity of facilities in some rather large connurbations like Bristol and Birmingham as two examples. Not to mention the standard of junior coaching. It's hard to remove bad habits when they get ingrained.

If everyone could act together and create a plan to improve all of these areas there is no reason why we as Team GB could not be a regular top division contender. Our erstwhile perennial rivals in the old Division Three Denmark achieved it with common sense and an influx of Swedish coaches.

We are going to be pummelled but the aim has to be to give the kids in the side experience and know the yardstick to which they have to up themselves and see if we can scrape survival next year.

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
A problem that lies squarely at the foot of the EIHA and almost all junior organisations (some are genuinely trying to develop). Self-interest above all. The ever-reducing number of rinks, and the antisocial ice times and rates they offer, also doesn't help.

Reactions: BMann

A Bundy

Mar 3, 2021
Had a serious, almost career-ending concussion a couple of seasons ago and is playing a top-line scoring role in the NIHL where it's less physical rather than as a grinder in the EIHL, was set to john Raiders IHC in the NIHL Cup but was injured again so hasn't played in over a year. Seems like he'd rather enjoy his hockey after the injury than go full-time pro. I know he was on the reserve list for the 2022 Olympic qualifiers so he is in consideration but I'm not sure he's up to the standard anymore.
Thanks for the update. Sad story. Just remember him from when the IIHF had the citizenship ordeal. Hope he gets well!

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Amuses me to see Ben Bowns listed as panthers players-lets see where we are in September and where he is playing. Panthers made it clear they were not going to draft or sign players who were not going to resign with the team for the fall season. One reason so many Cardiff Devils players did not play in the playoffs.

Bowns still owns a house and a couple of business in Cardiff

JimXVX

Jan 3, 2017
Amuses me to see Ben Bowns listed as panthers players-lets see where we are in September and where he is playing. Panthers made it clear they were not going to draft or sign players who were not going to resign with the team for the fall season. One reason so many Cardiff Devils players did not play in the playoffs.

Bowns still owns a house and a couple of business in Cardiff

Is he still our starter? To be honest he looked extremely rusty in the recent elite series; if he plays like that versus the likes of Russia it could get ugly. Maybe time to give Whistle the chance to show what he can do?

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
Is he still our starter? To be honest he looked extremely rusty in the recent elite series; if he plays like that versus the likes of Russia it could get ugly. Maybe time to give Whistle the chance to show what he can do?
Serious injury keeping him out for half the season with Graz won't have helped, nor will Nottingham's bad start in the Series - whether their strong finish coincided with Whistle being given a chance is another debate. I think at the very least Whistle has shown he's as just good at this point and will likely be given as much a chance as Bowns to take the job. I think he's still the best we've got at the moment, but whether that remains as such going forward I'm not sure on.

Gobben

Jan 22, 2019
Where are the players from? I clicked on some of the names, and found mostly persons from England, but I only had steam for a handful of them.

Are there many players from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Where are the players from? I clicked on some of the names, and found mostly persons from England, but I only had steam for a handful of them.

Are there many players from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland?

Unlike previous years--while not all are UK players a vast majority are

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->