OT: 2021 Football Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Amazing how the Rangers have so much of my attention while the Giants are the boy who cried Wolf. Couldn’t care less from now until Sept. Show me you’re worth caring about Giants.

LGR

Reactions: ponzu4u

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Amazing how the Rangers have so much of my attention while the Giants are the boy who cried Wolf. Couldn’t care less from now until Sept. Show me you’re worth caring about Giants.

LGR

What's truly amazing is how irrelevant (& embarrassing) the Giants have been for a decade. (Other than the NY Media trying to pump their tires).

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I for one am very excited and optimistic about the Giants this year. For a variety of reasons.

Appears to be an improved roster, i’ll see them in Sept while dismissing the story lines. These hack writers and Paul Dottino dopes have hyped up cr@p for too many years. I’ll see them in Sept

Last edited:
Reactions: RGY

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
What's truly amazing is how irrelevant (& embarrassing) the Giants have been for a decade. (Other than the NY Media trying to pump their tires).

Ive always found it fascinating that a lot of Giants fans are borderline delusional. I have a few friends that are die hards and they legitimately believe they have a great chance to win a championship every year. That seems to be the whole fan base. They also think Eli is a top 5 QB of all time. Every other sport most fans seem mostly rational.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Ive always found it fascinating that a lot of Giants fans are borderline delusional. I have a few friends that are die hards and they legitimately believe they have a great chance to win a championship every year. That seems to be the whole fan base. They also think Eli is a top 5 QB of all time. Every other sport most fans seem mostly rational.

If possible, Giants fans overrate their players even worse than HFNYR posters do for the Rangers & their prospects. Every preseason you'd think the Jints have an All-Pro at every position when in reality it's sad how few impact players they actually have after drafting in or around the top ten for the better part of the past decade.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I'd be lying if I said that when I look at Zach Wilson, I don't know how he's going to take the beating that QB's take in the NFL. He just looks so frail. I know he's got a gun for an arm and he's quick and fast as shit out of the pocket but man oh man...he needs to put on some muscle or he's going to get killed out there no matter how improved the Jet O-line might end up being....just sayin!

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I'd be lying if I said that when I look at Zach Wilson, I don't know how he's going to take the beating that QB's take in the NFL. He just looks so frail. I know he's got a gun for an arm and he's quick and fast as shit out of the pocket but man oh man...he needs to put on some muscle or he's going to get killed out there no matter how improved the Jet O-line might end up being....just sayin!

He's definitely looks like a small dude, but mahomes wasnt exactly built like a truck. Im more concerned about how he can read a disguised coverage pre snap.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
He's definitely looks like a small dude, but mahomes wasnt exactly built like a truck. Im more concerned about how he can read a disguised coverage pre snap.

Mahomes may not be built like a truck but he's thick and he never looked like he was frail. Wilson looks like a kid out there. Heck Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray look bigger than Wilson and they are 4-5 inches shorter.

Listen I hope I'm wrong and he can withstand some of the hits he's going to inevitably take but like I said, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't very concerned about his size. Bottom line Wilson needs to bulk up a bit and hit the weight room.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Mahomes may not be built like a truck but he's thick and he never looked like he was frail. Wilson looks like a kid out there. Heck Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray look bigger than Wilson and they are 4-5 inches shorter.

Listen I hope I'm wrong and he can withstand some of the hits he's going to inevitably take but like I said, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't very concerned about his size. Bottom line Wilson needs to bulk up a bit and hit the weight room.

If he's got the talent and style then he should be fine. I'm sure they'll have him pumping every offseason. Mahomes is a smaller build guy. Brady was drafted as a guy who looked like a couch potato who spent his weekends at Buffalo Wild Wings. If he's regularly getting drilled then it's an issue.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
He'll fit in well in that trash city.

It's just crazy enough that it might work in Philly. If I were Philly then I'd obviously look deeply into things, but if my fears are allayed then that is a potentially great move. With Watson, they can compete in that lousy division and grow from there. If he wins, they'll forget about his little encounters by Thanksgiving.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
If he's got the talent and style then he should be fine. I'm sure they'll have him pumping every offseason. Mahomes is a smaller build guy. Brady was drafted as a guy who looked like a couch potato who spent his weekends at Buffalo Wild Wings. If he's regularly getting drilled then it's an issue.

I have no doubt Wilson has the talent to play the position. That's not the issue as I said a few times. He just seems alot smaller than I thought he was. Not heightwise...he's 6'2-6'3" which is fine. It's just that he seems alot less than the 210 lbs he's listed at. I'd put him more like 195 or so. Now I'm not saying he can't or won't do well. Kyler Murray is short and small yet he doesn't get hit that much. That's what we need to hope that occurs with Wilson that he's elusive enough to not get pounded like Darnold was quite often.

With the O-line being fortified and improved hopefully, Wilson won't get pummeled all too much...we'll see..fingers crossed.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I have no doubt Wilson has the talent to play the position. That's not the issue as I said a few times. He just seems alot smaller than I thought he was. Not heightwise...he's 6'2-6'3" which is fine. It's just that he seems alot less than the 210 lbs he's listed at. I'd put him more like 195 or so. Now I'm not saying he can't or won't do well. Kyler Murray is short and small yet he doesn't get hit that much. That's what we need to hope that occurs with Wilson that he's elusive enough to not get pounded like Darnold was quite often.

With the O-line being fortified and improved hopefully, Wilson won't get pummeled all too much...we'll see..fingers crossed.

That's what I was trying to say. You look at a Brees or Brady they are average guys, but they play the game in such a way that they don't take the big hits. I have no idea how Wilson will look in the NFL so I have no idea if his build will be a non issue or huge issue. You have small guys who never get hurt, and big guys who always get hurt.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
That's what I was trying to say. You look at a Brees or Brady they are average guys, but they play the game in such a way that they don't take the big hits. I have no idea how Wilson will look in the NFL so I have no idea if his build will be a non issue or huge issue. You have small guys who never get hurt, and big guys who always get hurt.

Actually Brady got bigger as the years went on. He's 6'5" and with his offseason regiman he's been on for year, he got thicker and much more able to take on hits. Brees is smaller than Wilson...I think Brees was 5'11"...6'0" tops. But like you said, he eluded hits quite often and it's not like he was even a scrambling QB.

Wilson does seem to have alot of quickness and elusiveness and so hopefully his frail frame won't end up being too much of a detriment.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Actually Brady got bigger as the years went on. He's 6'5" and with his offseason regiman he's been on for year, he got thicker and much more able to take on hits. Brees is smaller than Wilson...I think Brees was 5'11"...6'0" tops. But like you said, he eluded hits quite often and it's not like he was even a scrambling QB.

Wilson does seem to have alot of quickness and elusiveness and so hopefully his frail frame won't end up being too much of a detriment.

I feel like Brady picked up the fitness regimen as he moved on. I don't think R. Wilson is a realistic comparable. I think Z. Wilson fits between him and a Brees.

I think it's less about elusiveness and more about how quickly he gets the ball out. If he tries to dipsy doodle then he's going to get nailed on occasion - I don't think he has the elusiveness of a R. Wilson.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I feel like Brady picked up the fitness regimen as he moved on. I don't think R. Wilson is a realistic comparable. I think Z. Wilson fits between him and a Brees.

I think it's less about elusiveness and more about how quickly he gets the ball out. If he tries to dipsy doodle then he's going to get nailed on occasion - I don't think he has the elusiveness of a R. Wilson.
I think part of his skill set is to "extend plays" which includes elusiveness. Additionally the more important skill set is to navigate the pocket. Knowing when to climb, knowing when to bail.
He's got a cannon for an arm, and he's got enough ability to launch it off balance which will mean pressure will have to come fast if it does.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah Darnold ran into issues because he had the ability to extend plays, but didn't have much pocket awareness. When he'd get flushed from the pocket he could do good things, and he could make a pass rusher miss to get to that point. But his general presence and awareness were lacking--too often he could have easily stepped up to avoid pressure, but he didn't realize it and would get creamed or have to run. He just didn't have the "feel" in the pocket that top guys do.

Some of that was due to poor offensive line play. But, I've also seen several stats over the year that indicate Darnold held onto the ball too long which exacerbated the situation (although that could also be due to having a subpar receiving corp who can't separate).

Just a bad situation all around with Darnold.

Reactions: ecemleafs

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Yeah Darnold ran into issues because he had the ability to extend plays, but didn't have much pocket awareness. When he'd get flushed from the pocket he could do good things, and he could make a pass rusher miss to get to that point. But his general presence and awareness were lacking--too often he could have easily stepped up to avoid pressure, but he didn't realize it and would get creamed or have to run. He just didn't have the "feel" in the pocket that top guys do.

Some of that was due to poor offensive line play. But, I've also seen several stats over the year that indicate Darnold held onto the ball too long which exacerbated the situation (although that could also be due to having a subpar receiving corp who can't separate).

Just a bad situation all around with Darnold.
Im not sure thats true about darnolds pocket feel at least initially. Alot of the talk about darnold, especially in year 1 was that he had a really good feel for the pocket, and when to escape etc. The problem being that in year 2-3 the Offensive Line was absolutely terrible, so that feel was drowned out by the incoming rush.

Reactions: romba and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Im not sure thats true about darnolds pocket feel at least initially. Alot of the talk about darnold, especially in year 1 was that he had a really good feel for the pocket, and when to escape etc. The problem being that in year 2-3 the Offensive Line was absolutely terrible, so that feel was drowned out by the incoming rush.
Well, maybe. It wasn't initially true for Sanchez either but that's what ended up happening. He got happy feet from facing pressure. Maybe that's what happened with Darnold, too, that pressure got to him and he developed bad habits. Whatever the cause of it was, it was definitely a thing by the end of his Jets tenure. Like I said, bad situation all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad