2021 Florida Panthers off-season thread. Free Agent Frenzy July 28th

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I think some of you are underestimating how big not having yandle and getting ek back full time will be to the defense.

Having to play yandle caused so many problems. Other D had to play more than they should in situations they shouldn't have been in. Yandle had mostly O-zone starts and PP time. That really messes with deployment. Not having to accommodate him will really help.

Ek was also playing at norris level and would have been a huge help. If he's healthy and back to full strength, that's huge.

If we need additions to D, that can happen at the deadline. Give the team time to assess what we have now.

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
I think some of you are underestimating how big not having yandle and getting ek back full time will be to the defense.

Having to play yandle caused so many problems. Other D had to play more than they should in situations they shouldn't have been in. Yandle had mostly O-zone starts and PP time. That really messes with deployment. Not having to accommodate him will really help.

Ek was also playing at norris level and would have been a huge help. If he's healthy and back to full strength, that's huge.

If we need additions to D, that can happen at the deadline. Give the team time to assess what we have now.
We also can flip Nutivaara and try to find another D this offseason, right? (assuming Reinhart gets 6, Lammikko less than a 1, and we will have more than 3m$ in a cap space after that)

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
We also can flip Nutivaara and try to find another D this offseason, right? (assuming Reinhart gets 6, Lammikko less than a 1, and we will have more than 3m$ in a cap space after that)
Could also flip Vatrano if there is someone. If not,
Montour-Ekblad
Forsling-Weegar
Nuti-Gudas
is better than our playoff pairings.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
@SoupyFIN lock when you get a chance

How does a retired player's contract count against a team's cap?

He's not retired, he's Ltired. Let's use round numbers ( a bit off but for simplicity). Tampa was at 86 million. Cap is 80 million, Seabrook makes 7 million, Johnson 5. So wait, now Tampa is at 87 million? No. Tampa places Seabrook on LTIR and frees up Seabrook's 7 million, allowing them to spend to 87 million.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
The actual numbers for Tampa are a bit off above, they now have about 5.5 million in space with 16 guys signed. Already lost Goodrow, Coleman, Gourde, Savard, and Johnson. I would personally try to move Killorn for more space but they have enough if they want to bring in rookies. A cap compliant roster would look something like (from Tampa's beat writer)

Ondrej Palat-Brayden Point-Nikita Kucherov
Alex Killorn-Anthony Cirelli-Steven Stamkos
Ross Colton-Mitchell Stephens-Mathieu Joseph
Pat Maroon-Gemel Smith-Taylor Raddysh

Victor Hedman-Jan Rutta
Ryan McDonagh-Erik Cernak
Mikhail Sergachev-Cal Foote

Vasi
Spencer Martin

That's certainly a very good roster, but 3 peat? I'm not betting on it. They lost their entire 3rd line.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Thinking about cap space after next season. I think it's pretty clear we'll be buying out Hornqvist to make cap space.

Save near 4M$ in cap space

upload_2021-7-28_10-13-14.png

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Thinking about cap space after next season. I think it's pretty clear we'll be buying out Hornqvist to make cap space.

Save near 4M$ in cap space

View attachment 456904
Getting rid of him yes, but I think we'll try to trade him first - I don't think this cap saving would be enough, unless Reinhart, Barkov and Verhaeghe sign for really cheap or we move someone else out.
Also, we'll need to replace Hornqvist even if it's just a warm body at league minimum, so while we get 3.5 mill cap space, we also need to sign a replacement. Substract 800k for a cheap fourth liner and the cap space it gives us for the remaining guys is more like 2.7 mil.
Question is, what would one year of Hornqvist without retention cost us? Moving Stralman was pretty expensive in terms of assets; even if Hornqvist has a good year, I imagine the price won't be significantly cheaper. He also has a limited NTC, though it's the least painful one (he can submit a list of 8 teams he doesn't want to go to).
It's going to be really tight.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Getting rid of him yes, but I think we'll try to trade him first - I don't think this cap saving would be enough, unless Reinhart, Barkov and Verhaeghe sign for really cheap or we move someone else out.
Also, we'll need to replace Hornqvist even if it's just a warm body at league minimum, so while we get 3.5 mill cap space, we also need to sign a replacement. Substract 800k for a cheap fourth liner and the cap space it gives us for the remaining guys is more like 2.7 mil.
Question is, what would one year of Hornqvist without retention cost us? Moving Stralman was pretty expensive in terms of assets; even if Hornqvist has a good year, I imagine the price won't be significantly cheaper. He also has a limited NTC, though it's the least painful one (he can submit a list of 8 teams he doesn't want to go to).
It's going to be really tight.

Just got a feeling Duclair will be moved at some point. I was kinda surprised we signed him long term because Q really didnt use him in playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->