2021 Expansion Draft for Seattle

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Setting this up as a separate thread as there may be some very specific points that come up that are only related to the expansion draft and might get forgotten in the noise of the Seattle thread.

Date/location: TBD

Rules for expansion are the same as those for the VGK expansion draft.
  • Teams must expose at least one goalie, one D and two forwards.

Teams can protect one goalie and 8 skaters or one goalie, three defensemen and seven forwards. Teams MUST protect players with NMCs (unless that player waives).

VGK will not be participating in expansion draft (they also aren't getting any $$ of the expansion fees).

Players with two years or less (pro) experience (including unsigned draftees) are exempt.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Mock expansion draft: What the Seattle NHL team might look...

Paywall. Athletic team writers took a stab at who might be exposed. National pundits then individually did mock draft.

Some interesting comments from McPhee on the process the VGK did on their mock drafts (which they did monthly leading up to final draft). Perhaps 4 of their picks in the October mock were actually selected.

Because Vegas was required to take a minimum number of players at each position (three in goal, nine on defence, and 14 up front), plus meet a minimum dollar value for the contracts, the selections were all interdependent upon one another.

So that adds a wrinkle that has to be worked out.

VGK also selected some pending UFAs as they had to pick someone from each team. That did give them more freedom to promote prospects as well as fill in with free agents on 7/1.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Since VGK players are exempt, could the team strike deals with other teams to trade back & forth players for protection? Doubt league would allow something like this but curious if VGK could further exploit its position.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I think that VGK may make a trade to improve themselves in exchange for an exposable body (and perhaps exempt player and picks). (So that teams get "some" asset rather than lose player for nothing.)

But I'm guessing that VGK won't be allowed to "trade back" those guys after expansion draft.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I imagine a quarter of the players that people predict get claimed by Seattle will.

I found the exposed list and mock draft for my favorite team laughable. First, there are only 5 players signed beyond 2021 (that could be protected/exposed); a number will be in their mid-30s and some with big $$ contracts. All the guys yet to play on their ELS deals as well as all the unsigned draftees (plus 2019 and 2020 draftees) will be exempt. But there are perhaps 45 players in the organization that need new deals between now and then; how many will be re-signed, traded, not re-signed? Lots of unknowns.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I found the exposed list and mock draft for my favorite team laughable. First, there are only 5 players signed beyond 2021 (that could be protected/exposed); a number will be in their mid-30s and some with big $$ contracts. All the guys yet to play on their ELS deals as well as all the unsigned draftees (plus 2019 and 2020 draftees) will be exempt. But there are perhaps 45 players in the organization that need new deals between now and then; how many will be re-signed, traded, not re-signed? Lots of unknowns.

The ones everybody pretty much saw and was right about years before was Fleury, Marchessault, Karlsson, McNabb and Sbisa.

I knew Jordan Subban was going to end up there somehow.

But for Seattle I imagine it changing lots.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I think that VGK may make a trade to improve themselves in exchange for an exposable body (and perhaps exempt player and picks). (So that teams get "some" asset rather than lose player for nothing.)

But I'm guessing that VGK won't be allowed to "trade back" those guys after expansion draft.

No but they could act as an intermediary between 2 teams that need to protect comparable players. Say Team A has a 4th dman they want to protect as does Team B. Team A could trade their dman to Vegas for a second and fourth rounder while Team B does the same with Vegas. After the expansion draft Team A trades a second to Vegas for Team B's dman and Team B trades a second to Vegas for Team A's dman.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Thankfully the Islanders this time around will be in pretty decent shape(at least expansion draft wise) that they won't lose anything big(thus have to make a trade). Both Ladd and Boychuk won't need to be protected(Their NMCs will be NTC by then)

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Thankfully the Islanders this time around will be in pretty decent shape(at least expansion draft wise) that they won't lose anything big(thus have to make a trade). Both Ladd and Boychuk won't need to be protected(Their NMCs will be NTC by then)

That's assuming they don't waive their no trade clauses. Lets not assuming they won't so there is a risk you might lose one of them decides to waive it.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
That's assuming they don't waive their no trade clauses. Lets not assuming they won't so there is a risk you might lose one of them decides to waive it.

If the Islanders lose either in an expansion draft I would celebrate(I like Boychuk but he isn't worth his contract now(but i can live with it) and it will only be that much worse 2 years from now, as for Ladd yeah we don't need that contract). lol

All that being said my point about NMC vs NTC is you are forced to protect NMC you aren't forced to protect NTC. The fact we were forced to protect both of them last expansion draft hurt us

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Other NHL owner don’t want to share expansion payments, that’s why.

That is not why. It was originally suppose to be 2 teams expansion (vegas and seattle) in the 2015 expansion process but Seattle didn't turn in a bid thus it was just vegas that got a team. It was agreement that Vegas would not take any expansion fee money of team #32 and would be exempt from losing a player.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
That is not why. It was originally suppose to be 2 teams expansion (vegas and seattle) in the 2015 expansion process but Seattle didn't turn in a bid thus it was just vegas that got a team. It was agreement that Vegas would not take any expansion fee money of team #32 and would be exempt from losing a player.
That doesn't explain the why Vegas is exempt from draft at all. Why was there such agreement when team #32 didn't join together with Vegas? Is it to protect Vegas? No, it is because other NHL owners wouldn't have to share expansion money if Vegas and Seattle joined together so they negotiated a deal with Foley. He doesn't get expansion payments despite having the same rights and obligations as any other team owner.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
That doesn't explain the why Vegas is exempt from draft at all. Why was there such agreement when team #32 didn't join together with Vegas? Is it to protect Vegas? No, it is because other NHL owners wouldn't have to share expansion money if Vegas and Seattle joined together so they negotiated a deal with Foley. He doesn't get expansion payments despite having the same rights and obligations as any other team owner.

And yet had Seattle joined the same time as Vegas, Vegas still wouldn't be taken any expansion money. This has NOTHING to do with the other teams not wanting to share with Vegas. It was decided back during the Vegas expansion process that Vegas would be exempt from team #32 expansion draft.

You are creating an issue when it doesn't exist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad