2021 expansion draft for Seattle Kraken

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Same rules as 2017 VGK draft. (One goalie, one D, two F).

As Vegas is not getting expansion $$, they are exempt from expansion draft.

Paywall.

Lots of teams willing to expose big $$ contracts because of flat cap.
Perhaps Seattle might put together even better roster? Might they get paid in picks/prospects to take those contracts?

NHL Seattle does own AHL team (rights) and is building arena in Palm Springs, but start delayed a year, so I don't think they will be looking for a lot of bodies to play in 2021-2 season, just injury call ups, but will need to fill AHL roster in 2022.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Teams will leave some good second line caliber talent available for the ED to helpfully shed some contract. Main thing is that the player has to be worth the cap hit for Seattle to take him if he has term.

like if Tyler Johnson drops below 0.5 PPG I don’t see Seattle taking on the final 3 years of his contract for example.

if I am Francis I push to get draft picks for taking some bigger cap contracts. Think teams will be willing to part for a second rounder to ensure a player gets taken to ensure cap space is freed up.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Teams will leave some good second line caliber talent available for the ED to helpfully shed some contract. Main thing is that the player has to be worth the cap hit for Seattle to take him if he has term.

like if Tyler Johnson drops below 0.5 PPG I don’t see Seattle taking on the final 3 years of his contract for example.

if I am Francis I push to get draft picks for taking some bigger cap contracts. Think teams will be willing to part for a second rounder to ensure a player gets taken to ensure cap space is freed up.

5m isn't that bad for TJ when you are building a team from scratch with 81.5m of cap space.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
5m isn't that bad for TJ when you are building a team from scratch with 81.5m of cap space.
Matter of production and term of 3 years. Seattle without any cap concerns can dip into free agency. So maybe better to take a cheaper player from TB than 3 more years of a 31 year old whose production has dropped over the past few seasons.

like I said those players with sizeable cap hits need to be worth the cap hit. For 1 year taking an overpaid player isn’t a big deal. But 3 years that a big deal.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

As we saw with the Vegas expansion draft, all of these contracts like TJ are evaluated relative to options from the other 29 teams There will be a limited number of “poor” contracts Seattle will take. And Vegas got paid to take most of those poor contracts via deals where the other team threw assets to Vegas.

In a vacuum getting TJ at $5m isn’t the worst thing in the world. Seattle should expect to do much better in the expansion draft though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
As we saw with the Vegas expansion draft, all of these contracts like TJ are evaluated relative to options from the other 29 teams There will be a limited number of “poor” contracts Seattle will take. And Vegas got paid to take most of those poor contracts via deals where the other team threw assets to Vegas.

In a vacuum getting TJ at $5m isn’t the worst thing in the world. Seattle should expect to do much better in the expansion draft though.
I agree. With the flat cap Seattle will be able to sign feee agents that other teams need to walk away from.

Seattle could get good assets for the last year of a contract aka Detroit with M Staal. Is that a better type of option versus 3 years of Johnson? Depends on what the 30 teams are offering along with how good these guys with high cap hits and Term are still performing.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

Don't know why yall think Krakers will take on TJ just because he's from Washington.

Lazy mentality.

Reactions: sigma six

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Don't know why yall think Krakers will take on TJ just because he's from Washington.

Lazy mentality.

Good lord... What's wrong with us taking TJ... You act like we would be screwed if we take him... Seattle will probably get paided to take him anyways. We are starting from nothing we can afford to take TJ.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Lazy mentality.
I’m saying that TJ based on his contract should be left available by TB. Up to Seattle if they want to selected him.

How much if any extra compensation would Seattle want to select him. With 3 years and him being 31 and his production last season dropping under 0.5 ppg from the 0.6 it was 2 seasons ago that would scare me off. If he bounces back with a 0.6 ppg pace that could change it but completely up to what else is going to be available to them.
Ryan Mcdonagh has only a NTC so of the TB top 4 Dmen he would be exposed. At $6.75 mill cap hit and him being 32 at ED time with 5 years left I’d pass on him.

so just saying that there will be quality guys available for Seattle. If they are thinking about a good start to their existence but those solid players if they have term are probably not as attractive to Seattle.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I’m saying that TJ based on his contract should be left available by TB. Up to Seattle if they want to selected him.

How much if any extra compensation would Seattle want to select him. With 3 years and him being 31 and his production last season dropping under 0.5 ppg from the 0.6 it was 2 seasons ago that would scare me off. If he bounces back with a 0.6 ppg pace that could change it but completely up to what else is going to be available to them.
Ryan Mcdonagh has only a NTC so of the TB top 4 Dmen he would be exposed. At $6.75 mill cap hit and him being 32 at ED time with 5 years left I’d pass on him.

so just saying that there will be quality guys available for Seattle. If they are thinking about a good start to their existence but those solid players if they have term are probably not as attractive to Seattle.

TB wants him gone so i think they'll probably toss us something to make sure we take him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
TB wants him gone so i think they'll probably toss us something to make sure we take him.
If I am Francis i weigh any offer from TB against what I can spend that $5 mill on. What is TJ’s realistic production over the final 3 years of his career? Is his defensive game good enough to compensate for decreased offensive production? Is there better value for me plus what is the compensation? 1st round pick?

so I wouldn’t say it’s a slam dunk Seattle would want any specific player. Use the flat cap to your own favour.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If I am Francis i weigh any offer from TB against what I can spend that $5 mill on. What is TJ’s realistic production over the final 3 years of his career? Is his defensive game good enough to compensate for decreased offensive production? Is there better value for me plus what is the compensation? 1st round pick?

so I wouldn’t say it’s a slam dunk Seattle would want any specific player. Use the flat cap to your own favour.

You ever consider changing of environment/coaching style can make a difference. SO you rather Seattle not take Oshie from washingon if he's expose just cause he's a known player (nvm he's also from washington state as well)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You ever consider changing of environment/coaching style can make a difference. SO you rather Seattle not take Oshie from washingon if he's expose just cause he's a known player (nvm he's also from washington state as well)
I consider the term of any player’s contract and how well that player will perform for the remainder of the contract. if a change of environment doesn’t help then what? You are locked into that player for another 3-4 years? And it’s one thing to say well he was coming off a strong year or two but if said player had a bit of a down year and you take him hoping for him to rebound and he doesn’t? How does that look on you?

Oshie is a 2005 draft pick with a late birthday. He’s 33 now going on 34 in December. Would have 4 years left at the time of the ED. I don’t care if he’s from WA state. What am I going to get out of him over the final 4 years of his contract? If Washington wants to move in from him as a hypothetical am I getting enough to compensate me for the 4 years left in his contract?

I wouldn’t want to take anyone with term unless I was comfortable with their expected production.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

And other teams will want players gone as well, and also willing to send assets to Seattle to take those players. There's a limited # of slots and money Seattle will be willing to take in overpaid declining players in the expansion draft. They'll look at all the options and choose the best ones.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd take in the dumb contracts that teams are willing to trade draft picks for and tank for Shane Wright. Also, the Kraken should also draft Owen Power which I believe will not only be one of the best prospects in this draft but reminds me a lot of Chris Pronger.

The difference between this one and the Vegas draft was Bettman dropped the bomb on NHL teams which most were unprepared to lose players. This one, teams are going to be ready to lose players.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Teams will make players available as there are only a limited number of nmc contracts now compared to 2017.

so more teams will be leaving higher cap hit guys available when in 2017 they would have either have wanted to protect them or had to protect them due to a nmc. In 2017, McDonagh likely has a nmc vs only a ntc.

Seattle due to the flat cap can gain a good number of draft picks from teams who will given them picks to take a cap hit off their roster. Seattle just has to maximize the return as they can also go to the market and sign guys.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Teams will make players available as there are only a limited number of nmc contracts now compared to 2017.

so more teams will be leaving higher cap hit guys available when in 2017 they would have either have wanted to protect them or had to protect them due to a nmc. In 2017, McDonagh likely has a nmc vs only a ntc.

Seattle due to the flat cap can gain a good number of draft picks from teams who will given them picks to take a cap hit off their roster. Seattle just has to maximize the return as they can also go to the market and sign guys.

Is the difference really that big? Running the CapFriendly numbers 66-70 players had NMC's for the 2017 Vegas expansion draft. The current CF numbers show 71 players with a NMC for 2020-21 and 54 with current NMC's for 2021-22 (the relevant expansion draft year). I'd expect at least a few players will sign extensions before the expansion draft including a NMC protection.

We're talking about a difference of somewhere around half a mandatory expansion protection slot on average per team between Vegas and Seattle?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Is the difference really that big? Running the CapFriendly numbers 66-70 players had NMC's for the 2017 Vegas expansion draft. The current CF numbers show 71 players with a NMC for 2020-21 and 54 with current NMC's for 2021-22 (the relevant expansion draft year). I'd expect at least a few players will sign extensions before the expansion draft including a NMC protection.

We're talking about a difference of somewhere around half a mandatory expansion protection slot on average per team between Vegas and Seattle?
I recall the Canucks had 3 NMC for the twins and Eriksson during the Vegas ED, they have none this time around.

If there are still 54 NMC for 21-22, which is the key number as if your NMC expires after the 20-21 season, that makes you eligible to be exposed in the ED.

I wonder how many of the players with a NMC, would teams want to protect if they had the choice not to protect them, as a comparison for Seattle vs Vegas. Those bad contracts from the 2016 UFA year of Backes, Eriksson, Lucic, Okposo, Ladd, etc. none of the teams would likely have wanted to protect them even after that 1 season if they had a NMC, which I think they all did.

How many of the NMC would fall into that group?

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Will guys like Parise who will be getting into the real back diving portion of his contract be willing to do Minny a solid and waive since it’s highly unlikely Seattle takes a $7 mill cap hit with very low salary for a guy past 35? In a flat cap world cap space is everything.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
LeBrun: New expansion draft details and important summer dates to remember

Apparently NHL made a change with the expansion draft rules since vegas joined and it has to do with max contracts with expansion teams.

The NHL Players’ Association negotiated a general “no loss of status or rights’’ provision for players who are claimed by Seattle in the expansion draft or acquired by the Kraken in a trade prior to the conclusion of the expansion draft.

Which is to say, a player claimed or acquired by Seattle prior to the July 21 expansion draft will still be able to sign an eight-year max contract with the Kraken prior to the opening of free agency on July 28.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Definitely.

Somewhere I've seen a quote that Seattle is asking for big price to pick or protect a player. I'm guessing Francis is asking for best exempt player or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad