2021 Expansion Draft Discussion

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I've been very happy with Dunn's play after the first ~ 20 games or so; he'd be on the protected list for sure if I were Army. He's exactly the type of player the Blues should be keeping - a cost-controlled, young, talented defenseman. I just can't see them willingly sacrificing such an asset and protecting those big contracts on the back-end. I wonder if there's anything that Dunn can do to play his way onto the protected-list over these final 15 games, or if it's already predetermined that Krug, Faulk and Parayko are the cornerstones moving forward.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I mean, nothing is set in stone - Armstrong could be super ballsy and leave Krug unprotected - basically daring Seattle to take on a huge contract from a guy who didn't look so great this year. Another interesting factor is if we sign Schwartz before or after the expansion draft - I think Army is wise to play this season out either way before signing him, Schwartz has frankly already cost himself a decent chunk of change with his lack of production this year. I figured his contract would be something in the area of 7x7 or 6x7.5, giving him an equal AAV to Tarasenko....now I think he's looking at a 5x6 or at best a 6x6 as this is his second year out of the last three where he can't score worth beans. I know he does a lot of other stuff for the team, but you still gotta score goals to get paid. My protection list goes something like:

FORWARDS:

ROR
Perron
Tarasenko
Schwartz
Schenn
Thomas
Kyrou

Notable Unprotected - Sunny, Sanford, Blais, Barbashev. The clear choices here for Seattle are Sunny or Sanford if they decide to go with a forward. I think Sunny's knee injury might factor in a bit, I'd be hesitant to take a guy who's coming off major knee surgery unless he's a clear gamebreaker compared to the other guy.....which Sunny isn't compared to Sanford. We all like Sunny more b/c he looks like he tries all the time vs. Sanford's loafing, but Sunny and Sanford are remarkably similar in the way we deploy them, with Sanford starting games on top lines but Sunny generally ending games on top lines. They both average around 15 minutes of ice time, with Sanford getting a little more EV and PP time, but Sunny getting more PK time. If we don't resign Schwartz, we can protect one of the them instead, depending on who we value more.

DEFENSE:

Parayko
Faulk
Krug

Notable Unprotected - Dunn, Scandella, Bortuzzo. The clear choice here is Dunn - overall the clear choice from our team is Dunn, unless there's a huge glut of defenseman available. He's young, cost controlled, and has won a Stanley Cup while playing somewhat sheltered minutes. Is he the guy who's going to succeed on your top pairing? Of course not. But you're not going to get many (or probably any) of those guys in an expansion draft. It's BPA, and Dunn is clearly BPA from the "expected" list of protected players.

GOALIE:

Binnington

Notable Unprotected - Husso. Pretty much a no brainer here. Husso might get picked, and if he does, we should all thank Seattle heartily. Not b/c Husso is worthless, but b/c they're passing on a ton of other, better players that are far more important to our success.

Overall, the only things I can see changing from this list are:

1. Schwartz waiting to get resigned - don't think this will matter much, b/c Seattle will likely take Dunn whether Sunny is available or not.
2. We expose Krug over Dunn. I'm not sure how I feel about this overall. Krug has looked pretty poor here at times, but he wasn't supposed to be a top pairing defenseman going up against the opponents top players - that was supposed to be Parayko/Scandella. He's looked much better since Parayko came back. But, unless we want to trade an asset (prospect/pick) b/c we're sure we want Dunn too, the only way I see us keeping Dunn is by protecting him and hoping Seattle takes Sanford over Krug....but again, if it's BPA, Krug is clearly better then Sanford, contract or not.

TLDR - We're most likely to lose Dunn in the expansion draft unless we make a trade prior to protect him, or for some reason Seattle REALLY doesn't want Krug, or they REALLY want Sunny/Sanford. I like Dunn quite a bit, but I don't think he's shown enough to be a Top 4 guy consistently.

Reactions: Zezel’s Pretzels

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
pIYsz5x.jpg

I have no idea why you included Kyrou in this post. He's faded a bit recently, but as a whole he's been our best offensive player this season.
He's faded because he's consistently (mysteriously) planted on the 4th line. Anyone would. This is another Hoffman scenario that isn't talked about: player management needs some tweaking here.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I've been very happy with Dunn's play after the first ~ 20 games or so; he'd be on the protected list for sure if I were Army. He's exactly the type of player the Blues should be keeping - a cost-controlled, young, talented defenseman. I just can't see them willingly sacrificing such an asset and protecting those big contracts on the back-end. I wonder if there's anything that Dunn can do to play his way onto the protected-list over these final 15 games, or if it's already predetermined that Krug, Faulk and Parayko are the cornerstones moving forward.
I completely agree with you. Faulk and Krug are both good players, but I see them more as having supporting roles, not as cornerstones. I would protect Dunn over Krug, but based on what I have observed of Doug Armstrong over the years, I am pretty certain he will protect Krug.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Liut

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Unless something changes, I think the only way Dunn is protected and Krug is exposed is if Army has designs on using Krug's cap space on another player.

Reactions: Blueston

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
He's faded because he's consistently (mysteriously) planted on the 4th line. Anyone would. This is another Hoffman scenario that isn't talked about: player management needs some tweaking here.

He was fading before that, starting when he got moved up with ROR and Perron around mid season.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
If they expose Krug, unless Seattle is looking to reach the cap floor I doubt they pick Krug. They will pick sanford, barbashev or sunqvist. I think it's crucial to protect sunny which means schwartz might be exposed assuming he does not resign. Wonder if they'd pick him then and try to sign him

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
If they expose Krug, unless Seattle is looking to reach the cap floor I doubt they pick Krug. They will pick sanford, barbashev or sunqvist. I think it's crucial to protect sunny which means schwartz might be exposed assuming he does not resign. Wonder if they'd pick him then and try to sign him
I doubt they waste a pick on a player not signed. But if we don't sign Schwartz, they will possible have way more cap room to offer Schwartz in free agency vs us after the draft.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I doubt they waste a pick on a player not signed. But if we don't sign Schwartz, they will possible have way more cap room to offer Schwartz in free agency vs us after the draft.
Seattle has a several-day window to negotiate a contract with UFAs that are not protected in the expansion draft. If we expose Schwartz and Seattle wants to sign him, they would have him signed before picking him in the expansion draft.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Seattle has a several-day window to negotiate a contract with UFAs that are not protected in the expansion draft. If we expose Schwartz and Seattle wants to sign him, they would have him signed before picking him in the expansion draft.
If they were able to negotiate a contract with him, then why waste their pick on him if they can just sign him afterwards?

Their were plenty of good Ufas that vegas could have wasted picks on but didn't. Seattle is most likely not going to either.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
If they were able to negotiate a contract with him, then why waste their pick on him if they can just sign him afterwards?

Their were plenty of good Ufas that vegas could have wasted picks on but didn't. Seattle is most likely not going to either.
Are you claiming that they can't negotiate a contract with UFAs? It is a well established rule of the expansion draft that they have a 48 hour window to negotiate with unprotected pending UFAs and that any guy signed in that window becomes their pick from that team. If they don't pick that player, then they can't immediately sign them. They would have to wait until the start of free agency when they would then have to negotiate with every other team. No player agent is going to make any promises to pass up better offers if Seattle lets them hit UFA.

Vegas used this UFA negotiation window to sign Deryk Engelland and he then became their pick from Calgary.

There were zero good UFAs that Vegas could have signed pre-expansion-draft that they then signed in regular UFA after July 1.

If Schwartz is unprotected and reaches a number with Seattle that both like, he would very likely be their selection.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
If Schwartz is unprotected and reaches a number with Seattle that both like, he would very likely be their selection.

I don’t see him leaving or being willing to go to a rebuilding team.

But if he is seeking at 7+ contact then I would let him go.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Leave Schwartz unprotected with a handshake deal prior to the expansion draft and protect Sunny instead.

Reactions: Mike Liut

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
I highly doubt Sunny would be a selection coming off ACL reconstruction. The guy is not going to be ready to play until early next Jan/Feb.
Sunny is 27 years old and is a bottom 6 player with 229 career games and 32 career goals. I love the guy and what he brings, however to protect him over a younger player seems pretty ridiculous.

Why is Faulk or Krug set to be protected? With a Flat Cap for at least 2 more seasons I doubt both will be protected.
Dunn has played very good hockey and is likely going to make less then 3 million on his next contract.

IMO Schwartz will not be signed until after the expansion draft, if he is signed at all.

ROR, Schenn, Tarasenko, Thomas, Kyrou, Perron, and either Blais or Barbie
Dunn, CP, and either Krug or Faulk

Hoping Army works a deal to move Sanford, Bortz, and either a prospect or pick to Seattle, for them to select Sanford.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I highly doubt Sunny would be a selection coming off ACL reconstruction. The guy is not going to be ready to play until early next Jan/Feb.
Sunny is 27 years old and is a bottom 6 player with 229 career games and 32 career goals. I love the guy and what he brings, however to protect him over a younger player seems pretty ridiculous.

Why is Faulk or Krug set to be protected? With a Flat Cap for at least 2 more seasons I doubt both will be protected.
Dunn has played very good hockey and is likely going to make less then 3 million on his next contract.

IMO Schwartz will not be signed until after the expansion draft, if he is signed at all.

ROR, Schenn, Tarasenko, Thomas, Kyrou, Perron, and either Blais or Barbie
Dunn, CP, and either Krug or Faulk

Hoping Army works a deal to move Sanford, Bortz, and either a prospect or pick to Seattle, for them to select Sanford.

I wouldn't pay them anything for any reason. As for Faulk or Krug, I can't believe people have watched this season and can even compare the two... I guess Faulk, who has played very well, is now the team whipping boy.

So to follow up, if you consider Krug a contract issue and expose him, why would you ever pay Seattle to take Sanford.

Reactions: Blueston

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
I wouldn't pay them anything for any reason. As for Faulk or Krug, I can't believe people have watched this season and can even compare the two... I guess Faulk, who has played very well, is now the team whipping boy.

So to follow up, if you consider Krug a contract issue and expose him, why would you ever pay Seattle to take Sanford.

Thats a great point, ideally they take Krug and we move forward.
However Sanford and Bortz should not even be close to this teams roster next season.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Thats a great point, ideally they take Krug and we move forward.
However Sanford and Bortz should not even be close to this teams roster next season.

I like Sanford on the 3rd line and Bortz as a #7. That should be their roles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad