Boston Bruins 2021 Exit Day Zooms - 6/11/21

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Goalie Tuukka Rask has a torn labrum in his hip and will require surgery. The goalie confirmed the news in his end of season media availability via a video call on Friday.

Rask, who is 34 and a free agent, reiterated his desire to play for the Bruins, and said he will not test the free agent market. He said he wants to continue playing, if his body will allow him.

“I’m up for that mentally. The physical aspect, hopefully that goes well,” Rask said, adding that he thought a January or February return to hockey would be a possible timeline.

Rask’s movement was clearly limited in net during the playoffs. That, coupled with injuries to the defense in front of him, served as a big reason why the Bruins had an early exit from the postseason.

After allowing four goals on 16 shots through two periods in Game 5 vs. the Islanders, he was replaced by Jeremy Swayman for the final 20 minutes of a 5-4 loss.

Kevan Miller, confirmed he suffered a concussion on the hit from the Capitals’ Dmitry Orlov in the first round of the playoffs. He also said it was likely that he would have been available for a Game 7 vs. the Islanders that would have been played Friday night.

Patrice Bergeron said his chronic groin issue did not hamper him, and that it “held up fine.” Entering the final year of his contract, Bergeron said he’s taking it “a year at a time.”

Left wing Taylor Hall said he sees a fit when discussing signing with the Bruins

“I don’t even know what my value is, at this point,” said Hall, who was acquired at the trade deadline.

“I feel like I had two different seasons. ... I’ve been fortunate to make some good money. ... You want to find a home for the next few years here.”

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Defenseman Brandon Carlo, who was also out after taking a hit in Game 3 from the Islanders’ Cal Clutterbuck, said he was questionable for a potential Game 7. He had no issue with the hit and said he does not expect to take a lot of time off.

Right wing Craig Smith acknowledged that he was also dealing with a groin injury, but will not need surgery.

Steven Kampfer said he tore a ligament in his hand in early March and played for six weeks. He had surgery three weeks ago and expects two and a half more months of recovery. He said he’s been offered contracts in the KHL and other leagues, but that he wants to play in the NHL.

Curtis Lazar said he sprained the MCL and bruised the ACL – it appeared he injured his left knee on a hit on the Islanders’ Adam Pelech in Game 5. He will not need surgery.

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
David Krejci, an unrestricted free agent, said he’ll take a few weeks to decide his future, and that he loves Boston. The 35-year-old center just completed a six-year, $43.5 million deal.

“My next deal’s not going to be based on money,” said Krejci. “I just can’t see myself playing for a different team. We’ll see what happens, I guess. I don’t even know.”

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Center Sean Kuraly is also an unrestricted free agent, and said he hasn’t had contract talks with the Bruins.

“I love Boston. I love the city. I love the fans,” said Kuraly. “I don’t know anywhere else. This is where I call my home in the NHL.”

Brad Marchand, who had offseason sports hernia surgery, said it bothered him until “about a month ago.”

Last edited:

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
I'm kind of frustrated at Neely and Sweeney right now with regards to Rask not being shut down and LTIR'd at the start of the season. Tuukka could have had a surgery last fall and possibly been back for the playoffs. Last fall we would have had injury space to bring in a goalie and or other assets.
This past season we went with an injured goalie, and scrambled with our backup and having rookies in our net.
This seems terribly planned out and reactive as a season went. The result was playoff run that wasn't truly what it's potential was.
Apparently the regular season and visuals are things that the Bruins organization value over substance and true playoff run capability.
Going ahead, we now know Rask isn't likely back until 2022 and this team has more questions than answers.
I'm sure any external free agent out there would not be very attracted to this situation.
Am I wrong here?

Last edited:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Rask, Krejci and Hall will all be back. Krejci at a decrease in AAV. Kuraly I think is gone but it wouldn’t surprise me to see him back on a cheap deal. No chance anyone around the league gives him more than 1.3M. It could be a situation Boston gets him for 700k-900k. I would still prefer to go a different route. Haven’t looked at the FA yet but I’m sure there’s more than enough players I’d rather sign for his spot.

Rask could be Swayman’s backup ;)

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Rask, Krejci and Hall will all be back. Krejci at a decrease in AAV. Kuraly I think is gone but it wouldn’t surprise me to see him back on a cheap deal. No chance anyone around the league gives him more than 1.3M. It could be a situation Boston gets him for 700k-900k. I would still prefer to go a different route. Haven’t looked at the FA yet but I’m sure there’s more than enough players I’d rather sign for his spot.

Rask could be Swayman’s backup ;)
I want nothing more to do with Kuraly, there`s enough UFA`s out there this year who can play 4th line roles and contribute a bloody goal or assist from time to time, get rid of Wags too

I`m done with same old same old

We know Bergy line all staying, I keep Hall and only do a deal with DK if it`s not longer than 2 years but I`d still want a guy like Granlund before DK, want more speed in this lineup, this a slow freaking team

I want a new D too with the exception of McAvoy, Carlo and Grizz, don`t care about Reilly, I want nastiness back there and not nastiness named Miller who I truly appreciate but simply can`t stay healthy.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Big question is do they bring back Krejci. He would be nice at center but it brings up the question that he disappears when the rough stuff comes his way. Would it be better to get another more physical center? Not sure who you get with everyone needing a contract.

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
I think we can all agree Rask did not look right for a long time. Even in the Washington series his movement was limited. I posted this several times before playoffs.

Amatuer hour not going with Swayman who was lights out before playoffs.

Bruce should be fired solely on this.

With a healthy goalie Boston has a game 7 100% or a different result.

It's the coaches job to be able to see this. We all knew after game 5 Rask was cooked. Terrible.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
The inability for Cassidy to have knowledge of a torn labrum in Rask's hip or get some team doctor to say to him "hey, he will not be mobile" and the inability for Sweeney/Neely/Cassidy to not together make an executive decision to turn to Swayman, who had clearly taken Halak's job for the playoffs, is....well stupid. It was a fatal flaw in judgment. Sure, maybe the B's get smoked anyway, but I would have rather had the rookie the last few games and maybe this series is still going with a guy making some big saves. The B's did not have big saves in the last few games of the series. Virtually everything went in to the B's net.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
That’s a brutal injury for a goalie to try and play through. Jesus Christ it’s amateur hour not shutting him down when he stopped being able to f***ing move side to side.
I really don't know how he was in net for game 5 and 6! I would really be interested on how and by who the decision of Rask playing game 5 and 6 was taken!

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Lots of people see the Bruin's problems are with coaching and management . is there a consensus on this ?
Let say Rask in net with what we know... is questionable! Don't have any answer neither clue to what brought this decision but if I was a reporter.... my first question would be on this and dress to Bruce for sure!

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
The inability for Cassidy to have knowledge of a torn labrum in Rask's hip or get some team doctor to say to him "hey, he will not be mobile" and the inability for Sweeney/Neely/Cassidy to not together make an executive decision to turn to Swayman, who had clearly taken Halak's job for the playoffs, is....well stupid. It was a fatal flaw in judgment. Sure, maybe the B's get smoked anyway, but I would have rather had the rookie the last few games and maybe this series is still going with a guy making some big saves. The B's did not have big saves in the last few games of the series. Virtually everything went in to the B's net.
I also didn’t like his response when asked about it “well he told me he was ok to go; end of story” or whatever bullshit that was. Nice try throwing Rask under the bus for the decision. He’s a competitive athlete, what do you expect him to say? What’s your f***ing job description if not to filter out the noise and make decisions in the best interest of your players and your team. Might as well just get the players to coach the f***ing team at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad