NFL: 2021 Draft Prospects

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Bengals fans might need to prepare for Sewell being gone at #2. Fields is looking pretty terrible.

It may end up a Sewell or Zach Wilson debate for the Jags.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I would not draft Justin Fields in the 1st 2 rounds. If the Jaguars take him 2nd they're making the Bortles mistake again.
Ohio State so much better than their competition in the Big10. So he has thrown to open WR. Did not play well in the Big 10 championship game today against Northwestern.

With the high end talent that Ohio state keeps bringing in I don’t know if another season in college does much for Fields.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Smart call. Got a concussion earlier in the year so nothing left for him at ncaa. He’s the top rated TE. So just a matter of which nfl team will prioritize that position at the draft. On talent alone he could sneak into the 10 spot give or take but likely land in the teens. Don’t see him getting past NE.

member 157595

Bengals fans might need to prepare for Sewell being gone at #2. Fields is looking pretty terrible.

It may end up a Sewell or Zach Wilson debate for the Jags.

The Jets winning against the Rams probably cost the Bengals a shot at Sewell. I would imagine the Jets would take Sewell #2 and build around two potentially dominant OT's in Sewell and Becton.

I would say it's heartbreaking but there's no heart left to break. I'm used to not having nice things.

Sep 19, 2008
Top 3 looks all but locked in with

1. Trevor Lawrence (NYJ)
2. Justin Fields (JAX)
3. Penei Sewell (CIN)
I could see Fields dropping as the tape on him is looking more and more sketchy. He struggled passing against good teams and OSU had to win on the ground game.

There's a good shot that JAX drafts Sewell (or the NYJ). :laugh:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I could see Fields dropping as the tape on him is looking more and more sketchy. He struggled passing against good teams and OSU had to win on the ground game.

There's a good shot that JAX drafts Sewell (or the NYJ). :laugh:

Watch Fields drop to the Patriots and as a final act, Belichick coaches him into a dominant top 5 QB.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Watch Fields drop to the Patriots and as a final act, Belichick coaches him into a dominant top 5 QB.
When OSU is so much better than the competition their QB is throwing to guys with bigger windows so the margin for error is greater.

I doubt Fields drops that much but possible that if the Jags finish last then the Jets go with Darnold then Fields is going to drop.

member 157595

When OSU is so much better than the competition their QB is throwing to guys with bigger windows so the margin for error is greater.

I doubt Fields drops that much but possible that if the Jags finish last then the Jets go with Darnold then Fields is going to drop.

With Fields' stock dropping I actually expect the Jets to either not go QB at #2 or to trade down. The thing is, Darnold has been there 3 years and they still don't know what they have in him. Can he still be a long-term answer at QB in a non-Adam Gase offense? It's a huge maybe. They do need to take a QB in this draft at some point IMO.

If I'm running the Bengals I'd consider talking to the Jets about trading up because if Sewell's not available at #3 I'm trading down to a team that wants a QB. No other player truly captivates me at #3 if we can't have Sewell. He's the guy that could change the direction of the team in the long-term.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With Fields' stock dropping I actually expect the Jets to either not go QB at #2 or to trade down. The thing is, Darnold has been there 3 years and they still don't know what they have in him. Can he still be a long-term answer at QB in a non-Adam Gase offense? It's a huge maybe. They do need to take a QB in this draft at some point IMO.

If I'm running the Bengals I'd consider talking to the Jets about trading up because if Sewell's not available at #3 I'm trading down to a team that wants a QB. No other player truly captivates me at #3 if we can't have Sewell. He's the guy that could change the direction of the team in the long-term.
Jets can get bookend tackles to protect their QB and allow the interior to double team someone. They also have the Seahawks first and third round picks this year.
I don’t get the sense that fields will return RG3 package. Would he return an extra 1st like Mahomes and Watson but those teams that moved up were picking later in the draft.

Is Sewell alone better than the 2-3 guys you could get for that pick?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I could see 2 scenarios for the Jets.

1 - make a flip with the Bengals so they can draft Sewell. Then the Jets can draft possibly Chase

Or

2- Draft Sewell

member 157595

I could see 2 scenarios for the Jets.

1 - make a flip with the Bengals so they can draft Sewell. Then the Jets can draft possibly Chase

Or

2- Draft Sewell

Like I said above, if I'm running the Bengals I'm on the phone with Joe Douglas well before the draft if this draft order holds.

I don't know what kind of draft capital it would take to move from #3 to #2, especially when the Jets have all the leverage because everyone knows who the Bengals would want with the pick. Bengals can't afford to give up next year's 1st when it's highly likely to be in the top half of the draft again, and it shouldn't take that strong an asset to move up that one spot. If Sewell is gone by #2 I look to trade back to a QB-needy team and pick the best OT on the board as long as it's not a noticeable reach.

If I'm the Jets I either draft Sewell or trade down. I like Chase and originally wanted him for the Bengals if they were drafting between #6 and #10 or something but I would be hesitant to take a WR inside the Top 5.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I would not take Sewell (or trade to 3/4 to get Sewell) if I were the Jets. They are completely devoid of talent on the team, it makes more sense to move down and gather as much future assets as possible.

Reactions: Memento

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I would not take Sewell (or trade to 3/4 to get Sewell) if I were the Jets. They are completely devoid of talent on the team, it makes more sense to move down and gather as much future assets as possible.
They have draft capital from Seattle in the Adams deal.

is having bookend tackles a luxury or a need? Can see both sides. Neutralize the DE of the Defence.

Is pick 35 enough to move off Sewell?

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
imo
QB1 T-Law
RB1 Harris
WR1 Smith/Chase (I can't really pick)
TE1 Pitts
OT1 Sewell
OG1: Davis
C1: Humphrey
DE1: Rosseau
DT1: Tuefele
LB1: Parsons (he could be outside or middle so I'll put him overall)
CB1: Surtain
S1: Moehrig

Some of these are more up in the air than others, others are more obvious. T-Law, Pitts, Sewell, and Parsons are the gimmies, while others are either with a smaller degree of separation or entirely up in the air.

I like the QB, WR, TE, and CB class, and I find there's premium talent at LB but there's a dropoff. I don't really rate this for the trenches, though O-line is decent, D-line weaker on the high end.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Bengals don’t need to move a 1 to go from 3 to 2. They still have Jonah Williams.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
imo
QB1 T-Law
RB1 Harris
WR1 Smith/Chase (I can't really pick)
TE1 Pitts
OT1 Sewell
OG1: Davis
C1: Humphrey
DE1: Rosseau
DT1: Tuefele
LB1: Parsons (he could be outside or middle so I'll put him overall)
CB1: Surtain
S1: Moehrig

Some of these are more up in the air than others, others are more obvious. T-Law, Pitts, Sewell, and Parsons are the gimmies, while others are either with a smaller degree of separation or entirely up in the air.

I like the QB, WR, TE, and CB class, and I find there's premium talent at LB but there's a dropoff. I don't really rate this for the trenches, though O-line is decent, D-line weaker on the high end.
I just saw the name Surtain in your post and googled and damned if it isn’t the kid of the pro bowler.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
As a Packers fan, I'd love to grab Trey Sermon in the middle rounds depending on when he's available. I love shifty backs who like to cut outside when the middle gets clogged up.

(In this scenario, we likely don't resign Aaron Jones)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->