Prospect Info: 2021 Draft #9 - Dylan Guenther (RW)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We’ll need a hotshot center to pair him with. We truly, desperately need to draft Shane Wright
Or Lambert. Or Savoie. :)

EDIT: incidentally, Savoie and Guenther know eachother well and played in the AJHL together briefly while the WHL was shut down. As well as pretty much all of their minor hockey. Trading the 1-2 top scoring spots the whole way.

Last edited:
Reactions: lanky

rt

May 13, 2004
Man. Pronman has Savoie 7th. Most outlets have him #3 and MANY have him overtaking Lambert at #2. I think Miroshnichenko is going to shoot up most lists (Pronman now has him at #2) but not quite this far.

I’m not sure our guys will like the 5’10-5’11 finesse center in Savoie. But he’s best buds with Guenther and the two have great chemistry. His older brother is like 5’9 200lbs at DU. I think Savoie is going to end up a super skilled little bowling ball. Little tank. Fire hydrant type. But he’s so skilled. And I love the idea of keeping him and Guenther together.

Another consideration is Savoie is old for his draft. New Years baby 1-1-04. Guenther is less than six months older. I think they’re maybe the same grade level? Not sure how that works in Canada.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Yeah.. a far better method would have been to use a consensus ranking - combining rankings of several independent guides. It's not really analytical work when it's just comparing their own rankings to the drafted players. All scouting groups whether it's for a prospect guidebook or for a NHL team they are prey to group-think and directives to value some attributes over others. BA is trumpeting this in particular and it's why we picked Josh Doan over Aatu Raty for example.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Or Lambert. Or Savoie. :)

EDIT: incidentally, Savoie and Guenther know eachother well and played in the AJHL together briefly while the WHL was shut down. As well as pretty much all of their minor hockey. Trading the 1-2 top scoring spots the whole way.
Savoie would be a good consolation prize.

rt

May 13, 2004
It’s so rare to be a 1st overall pick in the WHL and then subsequently win the WHL Rookie of the Year. The last guy to do it before Guenther was RNH over a decade ago. And Gilbert Brule six years before that (17 years ago), was the last one before RNH.

Reactions: Gwyddbwyll

rt

May 13, 2004
ANALYTICS APPROACH: How each team fared at the 2021 Draft - FCHockey

Coyotes had the worst 'value' draft. Scouts are definitely being let off the chain to do as they please.
This is a little less interesting to me than that deep dive. Obviously the deep dive had some sample size issues but still REALLY interesting to me. Especially when I take the conclusions of the author and compare them to the opinions expressed by Button, Cosentino, Wheeler, Pronman, McKenzi, Scouch, Ferrari, etc, etc. It’s so much consensus. It seems like everyone loves this kid’s floor so much. It feels like a jinx but basically everyone says his floor is a first line forward in your team but maybe not the best one on the first line. Lol. It’s pretty rare for so many experts to say this kind of thing about the same kid.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
With the new lottery rules, how many spots can we drop? Is it just two? I feel we could still finish better than Buffalo and one other team, maybe Anaheim or Calgary. If that happens, is it possible to drop beyond the fifth pick if we are 3rd worst in the standings?

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
This was the most Donald Duck analytic thing I've read in a good while. So, as an example, if one team had gotten the player ranked first at 11OA, that would have been less impressing than another team getting the 155th ranked player at 166. Good grief. :laugh:

It's not meant to be a rigorous analysis of anything (it says so right at the end). I found it was interesting the club scouts have taken over immediately deviated as strongly as you can from one particular list.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
ANALYTICS APPROACH: How each team fared at the 2021 Draft - FCHockey

Coyotes had the worst 'value' draft. Scouts are definitely being let off the chain to do as they please.
This is an analytics approach by somebody who only knows 2nd grade math, and holy shit is it f***ing atrocious.

The Coyotes getting Guenther at 9 if he's ranked 4 on the board is the same "value" as getting the 205th ranked player at pick 200 in their approach. There needs to be weight associated with the picks and rankings, but they've just added and subtracted some arbitrary numbers and called it analytics.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
This is an analytics approach by somebody who only knows 2nd grade math, and holy shit is it f***ing atrocious.

The Coyotes getting Guenther at 9 if he's ranked 4 on the board is the same "value" as getting the 205th ranked player at pick 200 in their approach. There needs to be weight associated with the picks and rankings, but they've just added and subtracted some arbitrary numbers and called it analytics.
The hard part about adding weight to an already subjective list is further subjective results. I think the writer would have done well to post previous draft accuracy to their lists when it comes to players that hit certain NHL games played numbers. Then we could take their list with some level of comfort.

rt

May 13, 2004
Reactions: MIGs Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->