Prospect Info: 2021 Draft #9 - Dylan Guenther (RW)

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Hah. Compare that to what Chayka would say after a day of the draft.
Well Chayka never would've taken him, it was too obvious of a pick. He would've taken someone ranked 16th then smugly would have said...

"We had him number 1 on our board even before Nolan Power, we were looking to trade up into the top 3 to get him."

Reactions: Yandover

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Lol, GM’s always say “he was our guy” after the fact. I’m excited for the Guenther pick, but don’t believe for a second that he was the target when the trade went down.

Reactions: DOTS13

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Lol, GM’s always say “he was our guy” after the fact. I’m excited for the Guenther pick, but don’t believe for a second that he was the target when the trade went down.
Everyone says there was a group nine. That exact group went top nine. The Coyotes wanted to be in that group. They may have hoped Guenther would fall but they definitely didn’t plan on it. Haha. They seemed rather surprised.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Everyone says there was a group nine. That exact group went top nine. The Coyotes wanted to be in that group. They may have hoped Guenther would fall but they definitely didn’t plan on it. Haha. They seemed rather surprised.
A group of 9 is different than “we got our guy!”. Like I said. Excited about the pick, but it’s just funny listening to the same thing from every GM every year. Like the Soderstrom pick. “He was 3rd on our list. He was who we wanted” lol. Right.

Reactions: RemoAZ

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
A group of 9 is different than “we got our guy!”. Like I said. Excited about the pick, but it’s just funny listening to the same thing from every GM every year. Like the Soderstrom pick. “He was 3rd on our list. He was who we wanted” lol. Right.
I was on Zoom with @Grimes during the first half of the 1st tonight. When Columbus took Johnson, we were like “alright, so who’s our guy? Sillinger?” And then it hit us “Oh shit. Guenther is still on the board!” I was like, I think Detroit is taking Edvinsson to pair with Seider. They’ve taken Raymond and Zadina and they’re not doing another winger. They took Edvinsson and we cheered. Then San Jose was up. And we were like, okay. This is where it stops. But we both agreed we didn’t want the tiny winger Eklund and were cheering for San Jose to take him. They did. We celebrated. LA was up and Grimes was like “they have to go D” and he was right. It was Clarke and we’re like “Holy shit! It really happened. I can’t believe it! Guenther fell! This is nuts!” And when they picked him we went nuts.

It sure felt to us like “we got our guy!” even though we weren’t planning on it and didn’t think it would/could happen. But if you asked this pair of fans, we’d tell ya “we had him way higher and we couldn’t believe he fell and were so happy we got him!” And ya know what? We wouldn’t be lying to you.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I was on Zoom with @Grimes during the first half of the 1st tonight. When Columbus took Johnson, we were like “alright, so who’s our guy? Sillinger?” And then it hit us “Oh shit. Guenther is still on the board!” I was like, I think Detroit is taking Edvinsson to pair with Seider. They’ve taken Raymond and Zadina and they’re not doing another winger. They took Edvinsson and we cheered. Then San Jose was up. And we were like, okay. This is where it stops. But we both agreed we didn’t want the tiny winger Eklund and were cheering for San Jose to take him. They did. We celebrated. LA was up and Grimes was like “they have to go D” and he was right. It was Clarke and we’re like “Holy shit! It really happened. I can’t believe it! Guenther fell! This is nuts!” And when they picked him we went nuts.

It sure felt to us like “we got our guy!” even though we weren’t planning on it and didn’t think it would/could happen. But if you asked this pair of fans, we’d tell ya “we had him way higher and we couldn’t believe he fell and were so happy we got him!” And ya know what? We wouldn’t be lying to you.
I get ya, and I totally feel where you’re coming from. Like I said. It’s funny listening to every GM/head scout say “we got our guy!”. It’s just a play on words for the fans. I do believe he was in a handful of players they looked at at 9. They could’ve ended up with Clarke and said “we got our guy!”. No doubt in my mind

Reactions: Jakey53 and Kaizen

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I just remember how excited I was in 2019 that Caufield fell into our laps when we traded up just for us to reach for Soderstrom (though I do like Soderstrom quite a bit), it feels good to have a guy fall into our laps and then happily take them rather than reach for someone else

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

I think this might be the exception because they have direct knowledge of the player between Tourigny and the scout that drafted him to the Oil Kings now working for the Coyotes. A years long track record with a player is worth a lot in a year where guys are playing scattershot games. If they know him through and through yet still think he's better than some other really good players still on the board, that says a lot.

They also traded the face of the franchise and the fan favorite the other way, so there's quite a bit riding on the pick.

Reactions: Jakey53

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

This, by the way, was the exact opposite from the 19 and 18 drafts where we stood up, double high-fived because we thought we were getting Caulfield/Zadina

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Why did he fall so much?

One theory involves the U18 where he only had 7 pts (4g, 3a) in 7 games. It's not a bad performance, and it's ridiculous to overemphasis tournament stats where teammates, coaches, systems, and roles might all be different.

Last edited:

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Stoked about the pick, but tbh I don't know shit about him. Anyone have any comparables? Ceiling?

Guenther compared his style to Claude Giroux, captain of the Philadelphia Flyers.
"Giroux is one (player) who I kind of resemble and play like," Guenther said. "He's been a force on Philadelphia for so long. He's a great leader on his team. He can score goals and make plays in the offensive zone, and that's really the strongest part of my game.
"I think I'm a well-rounded player who can bring a lot of different pieces to the team. I think the biggest thing for me is contributing offensively. I've been a guy who's been a point producer and a goal scorer throughout my career, and that's something that I hope to bring to this team in the future."

Guenther the Go-To Get of 2021 Draft

Scouts also compared him to Max Pacioretty and Kyle Connor.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The thing I like best about Guenther is that most of the scouting reports I've seen say that he's not the top available prospect in any single category, but that he's the top prospect that excels in ALL categories. I think this is the first prospect the Coyotes have drafted in my memory that could be a consensus top player in the league with the fewest asterisks or "This is a gamble" commentary.

I think if Chayka were still in charge, he'd have looked at Guenther and then drafted some 5'10" guy with great hockey IQ that was available sometime mid-round-two.

Reactions: Yandover

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->