WC: 2021 Czech Republic Roster Talk

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Final roster

Jan Sčotka, Rudolf Červený and Hynek Zohorna cut.

Moravcik and Sklenicka will make the best on best 2022 Olympic team as well... they cannot be cut.lol

Really surprised a Zohorna got cut to be honest. Of the 3 brother combo's.. I would've guessed Zohorna's were the safest and likely that 50% of the Musil and Stransky combo gets cut.

Was a reason given for Hynek? I did not see that one coming at all.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Moravcik and Sklenicka will make the best on best 2022 Olympic team as well... they cannot be cut.lol

Really surprised a Zohorna got cut to be honest. Of the 3 brother combo's.. I would've guessed Zohorna's were the safest and likely that 50% of the Musil and Stransky combo gets cut.

I do not get it. Moravčík has always been excellent in the national team. What is still the problem?

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016

I guess there is just not space for Hynek Zohorna.
Based on preliminary games, I think the lineup could look something like this:
Kubalík - Kovář - Vrána
Chytil - Zohorna - Zadina
Sekáč - Hanzl - Radil
Lenc - Špaček - Stránský
Blumel, Smejkal, Musil, Flek

Reactions: Goodman68

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
With Zohorna, I guess he just didn't fit the roster. Lot of competition on each wing and he wasn't really noticeable this final tournament.

Regarding Moravčík/Sklenička, they have never dissapointed at WC level so far and now they have much more experience. Especially Moravčík is very good for us imo. Big guy with long reach who is smart and skates really well for his size. They are both >> Ščotka and even if Galvas was available, my guess is they'd cut Vitásek instead.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
And for the defense, I would like to see something like :
Musil - Hronek
Hájek - Šulák
Klok - Moravčík
Šustr, Sklenička, Vitásek

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Musil - Hronek
Hájek - Šulák
Klok - Moravčík
I can't trust Šustr, I hope that somehow the six will look like that and anyone other than him will be the seventh defender :)

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
My projected lineup:

Forward lines:

Vrána - Kovář - Kubalík
Stránský - Špaček - Radil
Flek - Smejkal - Sekáč
Hanzl

D-pairs:

D. Musil - Hronek
Šulák - Moravčík
Hájek - Klok
Sklenička

Goaltenders:
1. Hrubec
2. Will

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
Kubalík - Kovář - Vrána
Sekáč - Hanzl - Radil
Lenc - Špaček - Stránský

Overall, our forward group looks quite decent!

The first line should gel pretty well (shooting - passing - speed). Our second line looks promising as well with strong playmaking and shooting on the wings, but with some hesitation on my part with regards to the center position, as I haven't seen Zohorna play recently - is he capable of centering Chytil and Zadina? I don't know what to expect from the third line at all (Sekáč - Hanzl - Radil) but Pešán seems to be convinced, so I'm okay with that trio. I'm really looking forward to watching the fourth line, especially Špaček and Stránský.

Češi do toho!

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
My projected lineup:

Forward lines:

Vrána - Kovář - Kubalík
Stránský - Špaček - Radil
Flek - Smejkal - Sekáč
Hanzl

D-pairs:

D. Musil - Hronek
Šulák - Moravčík
Hájek - Klok
Sklenička

Goaltenders:
1. Hrubec
2. Will
I think Lenc will be in the starting line-up, the trio played very well.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Kubalík - Kovář - Vrána
Sekáč - Hanzl - Radil
Lenc - Špaček - Stránský

It's certainly nice to see so many good players.

I also noticed our team is very young! Definitely took youth over some more established guys which is the right play IMO... Blumel, Smejkal, Musil, Flek, Kubalik, Vrana, Chytil, Spacek, Stransky are all under 25 to my knowledge?

Even our vets... Kovar, Zohorna, Sekac, Hanzl, Radil and Lenc are all close to 30.

I'm curious how he runs it... I'd like to see Spacek in top 6 surrounded by the NHL players personally. However, I have a Spacek Bias.lol

I think this is close to what Pesan is thinking as well... Lenc, Spacek and Stransky seem a lock to start together. Same with Sekac, Hanzl and Radil (which is a killer 3rd line for a tourney like this). Not sure how he mixes up the Top 6. Definitely want Kovar with either Kubalik or Vrana. Maybe try Chytil at C? I think I'd prefer Kubalik and Vrana split up in top 6.

I think Spacek and Zadina are lined up to have a very good tourney.

Happy for Blumel to make the team but don't expect to see him much.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Musil - Hronek
Hájek - Šulák
Klok - Moravčík
People are criticizing me (which is totally fine, maybe my take is very poor) for my anti Moravcik/Sklenicka stance but no one has Sustr in the top 6.lol

I don't know enough about Klok to have an opinion to be honest. They seem to really want him on the team.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
FTR.. watching game now on replay... agree with whoever above said this was a bit on the goalie and such. The Zadina goal shouldn't have gone in. Not much you can do about a breakaway. Just watching the Flek goal and this is just a weird bad bounce to my eye. Not sure what the 4th goal by Zohorna looks like yet.lol

Hrubec has been excellent! Happy with him and Will as our 1/2 for this kind of tourney. Are the US and Canada only teams with NHL goalies?

Reactions: ZadinaN11

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I think Lenc will be in the starting line-up, the trio played very well.

I like Lenc too, he is definitely one of the contenders for the 3rd-4th line winger position. If he plays with Špaček and Stránský, Radil should in that case play with Smejkal and Sekáč in the 4th line, and Flek should be the 13th forward. I was thinking about Hanzl as the 13th forward based on his experience, which could help in certain specific situations. Otherwise, I don't think Hanzl has been looking very good in the pre-tournament games. In any case I am glad they took Matěj Blümel. He almost certainly won't make the game line-up, but it is great for him to stay with the team, practice with the other guys, see how things work on the international level. I see him as a very promising player for the future.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
People are criticizing me (which is totally fine, maybe my take is very poor) for my anti Moravcik/Sklenicka stance but no one has Sustr in the top 6.lol

I don't know enough about Klok to have an opinion to be honest. They seem to really want him on the team.
The forward lines I was guessing reality, the defense was more of what I like to see.
It's probable Šustr will play in Top 6 and I think he played good in preliminary games, so nothing againts it.
Also when talking about defense, it's young too. Hájek 23, Hronek 24, Sklenička 24, Klok 25, Moravčík 26, Šulák 27, Musil 28, Šustr with Vitásek as our vets and they are only 30.

Reactions: Czechboy

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
The forward lines I was guessing reality, the defense was more of what I like to see.
It's probable Šustr will play in Top 6 and I think he played good in preliminary games, so nothing againts it.
Also when talking about defense, it's young too. Hájek 23, Hronek 24, Sklenička 24, Klok 25, Moravčík 26, Šulák 27, Musil 28, Šustr with Vitásek as our vets and they are only 30.

Šustr is not completely "my type" of defender. So I would prefer to see Sklenička, for example, as the 7th defender. I believe Hronek, Hájek, Šulák, Moravčík, probably Klok are the locks. Musil, Sklenička, Šustr, Vitásek are the contenders for the remaining 2 spots in the game lineup. Of those four, I would like to see Musil and Sklenička up there.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Jan Kovář will lead the team as captain. With Tomáš Zohorna and Filip Hronek as assistents.

Also Šimon Hrubec will start the tournament as goalie no. 1
All great choices!

I like the look of this team a lot. I think we can be competiive and have close games with everyone. It's not like the U18 or U20 where I expect at least 2 or 3 catastrophoes or debacles.lol

I'd be surprised if we don't make the quarters. I'd prefer to avoid Canada but that is about it.

Curious how it ends and what the final lineup will be in a few weeks!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I also don't know as I have not seen him in any NHL game so far but I almost never saw Rangers fans here say good thing about him, it's actually quite the opposite. Of course, cannot judge just based on this but it still tells you something (plus his stats aren't impressive either) so I'm actually kind of surprised that almost everyone here take him as a lock. I have a feeling that Galvas (too bad for the injury) or Masin would be better options. But hopefully I'm wrong. And I actually think Pesan likes him a lot because I remember he was terrific under him on WJC and also in the post game interview yesterday he praised him a lot.

This is accurate. Hajek is universally regarded as one of our worst players, and potentially the worst player. Whether he’s worse than Howden is a split amongst the fanbase. Hajek is only an NHL’er in the sense that he regularly plays NHL games. He plays nothing like an an NHL caliber player. He’ll be out of the NHL within another 2-3 years.

We like Chytil though. He’s a good player, and you won’t find many or any Rangers fans who say otherwise.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
This is accurate. Hajek is universally regarded as one of our worst players, and potentially the worst player. Whether he’s worse than Howden is a split amongst the fanbase. Hajek is only an NHL’er in the sense that he regularly plays NHL games. He plays nothing like an an NHL caliber player. He’ll be out of the NHL within another 2-3 years.

We like Chytil though. He’s a good player, and you won’t find many or any Rangers fans who say otherwise.

He might as well be traded to a team where he will feel more comfortable and play better. You never know. Or, like Pavel Zacha, who used to be regarded as a guy who will left NHL for Europe within 1-2 years, he can just gain some confidence. He is still a 23 y.o. defender, that means, a young defender.

Btw I didn't watch so many Rangers games this season but from what I have seen, Hájek was not so terrible and I consider this hate of fans against him as rather telling something about some patterns in the attitude of fans towards their own team (universally everywhere across the world). Fans just generally like to pick their scapegoat and direct all their frustration against him when their team is not exactly playing great. I usually don't take this seriously. After all, if Hájek was so bad, he would be replaced in the lineup. Nobody earns his spot in the NHL just with a cute smile or something.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
He might as well be traded to a team where he will feel more comfortable and play better. You never know. Or, like Pavel Zacha, who used to be regarded as a guy who will left NHL for Europe within 1-2 years, he can just gain some confidence. He is still a 23 y.o. defender, that means, a young defender.

Btw I didn't watch so many Rangers games this season but from what I have seen, Hájek was not so terrible and I consider this hate of fans against him as rather telling something about some patterns in the attitude of fans towards their own team (universally everywhere across the world). Fans just generally like to pick their scapegoat and direct all their frustration against him when their team is not exactly playing great. I usually don't take this seriously. After all, if Hájek was so bad, he would be replaced in the lineup. Nobody earns his spot in the NHL just with a cute smile or something.
I was thinking the same thing... 23 year old... 2nd round pick ... plays about 18 minutes a night... that usually doesn't mean 'going back to Europe in 2 seasons'. D take awhile and several of our own Czech D didn't even crack NHL at this age yet.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

I don’t think he’ll be on the team next season. The GM that brought him in and staked his reputation on Hajek being the replacement for the former captain is now gone.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was thinking the same thing... 23 year old... 2nd round pick ... plays about 18 minutes a night... that usually doesn't mean 'going back to Europe in 2 seasons'. D take awhile and several of our own Czech D didn't even crack NHL at this age yet.

I have nothing against him. He’s just not playing good hockey.

I suspect he’ll be traded this offseason and get a fresh start elsewhere. Hopefully he can show some improvements elsewhere for another team because while he was a second round pick he’s essentially been a bust so far that has shown no improvement and was only on the team and playing due to previous regime having a big stake in his success.

But I would also suggest not to count on Hajek being an NHL’er for too much longer going forward. That’s my own opinion from watching him play a lot of games over the past two seasons.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I have nothing against him. He’s just not playing good hockey.

I suspect he’ll be traded this offseason and get a fresh start elsewhere. Hopefully he can show some improvements elsewhere for another team because while he was a second round pick he’s essentially been a bust so far that has shown no improvement and was only on the team and playing due to previous regime having a big stake in his success.

But I would also suggest not to count on Hajek being an NHL’er for too much longer going forward. That’s my own opinion from watching him play a lot of games over the past two seasons.
You may be right. Ask me after the tournament what I think of him as I'm positive I'll have a bigger opinion in about 3 weeks.haha

I'm curious if he gets traded... Rangers have a real good thing going so I hope he stays and establishes himself with that soon to be very good roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->