Recalled/Assigned: 2021 Colorado Eagles (AHL) and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah I dont see the Nuke comparison at all. I highly doubt he comes anywhere close to being half as good defensively as what Nuke is. Someone said it in another thread that Nichushkin is basically Danault but as a winger and not as good offensively. It's pretty accurate. Nukes defensive game is elite and tbh the idea of adding Danault and being able to put those two on the ice in 3rd periods when we have a lead is easily worth trying to get Danault alone.

But Ranta already has better hands then Nuke. Nuke has zero finish to his game whatsoever. Its sad because if he had even a little bit of offensive capability, he'd be a Top 10 winger in the game, and we could very well still be playing hockey right now(Seriously that man had so many glorious opportunities in games 5 and 6 against Vegas and couldn't bury any of them).

Ranta compares much more favorably to Chris Kreider IMO. Plays an extremely North-South game, drives the net hard all the time and isn't afraid of the front of the net at all. Also not a very smart player so keeping it simple like he does is the best thing for him. But in front of the net and around the net he is really good.

I think his game is very well suited for the NHL and its a good fit for us. We could use someone who drives the net hard with regularity cause lord knows we dont have anybody(sans Saad) like that right now. Jost tries, but isn't strong enough to do it regularly. Ranta should have much more success with his frame.

We'll have to wait and see but I think Ranta can be a 20 goal guy in the NHL for us. Would be great not only for the team but it'd be an excellent feather in the cap for our scouts as well. Potentially our first successful pick outside the first round since 2013 and the first one to do it for the Avs since 2009.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Yeah I dont see the Nuke comparison at all. I highly doubt he comes anywhere close to being half as good defensively as what Nuke is. Someone said it in another thread that Nichushkin is basically Danault but as a winger and not as good offensively. It's pretty accurate. Nukes defensive game is elite and tbh the idea of adding Danault and being able to put those two on the ice in 3rd periods when we have a lead is easily worth trying to get Danault alone.

But Ranta already has better hands then Nuke. Nuke has zero finish to his game whatsoever. Its sad because if he had even a little bit of offensive capability, he'd be a Top 10 winger in the game, and we could very well still be playing hockey right now(Seriously that man had so many glorious opportunities in games 5 and 6 against Vegas and couldn't bury any of them).

Ranta compares much more favorably to Chris Kreider IMO. Plays an extremely North-South game, drives the net hard all the time and isn't afraid of the front of the net at all. Also not a very smart player so keeping it simple like he does is the best thing for him. But in front of the net and around the net he is really good.

I think his game is very well suited for the NHL and its a good fit for us. We could use someone who drives the net hard with regularity cause lord knows we dont have anybody(sans Saad) like that right now. Jost tries, but isn't strong enough to do it regularly. Ranta should have much more success with his frame.

We'll have to wait and see but I think Ranta can be a 20 goal guy in the NHL for us. Would be great not only for the team but it'd be an excellent feather in the cap for our scouts as well. Potentially our first successful pick outside the first round since 2013 and the first one to do it for the Avs since 2009.

Unless you count Timmins, but your point still stands.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Current Nuke was nothing like post-draft Nuke, either. However, Ranta and Nuke have similar tools, frame and north-south playstyle.

Nuke was always possessed of great talent and hockey sense, it just took a good long while for the league to realize he wasn’t a star forward. Once he was utilized as a defensive winger that’s when his real value showed.

Ranta has a lot of talent but the big dig on him is his lack of hockey sense. He will never be anything like Nuke, but the grand hope is he carves put a decent role in the NHL. I’m honestly excited to see what he can do.

Reactions: klozge

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Nuke was always possessed of great talent and hockey sense, it just took a good long while for the league to realize he wasn’t a star forward. Once he was utilized as a defensive winger that’s when his real value showed.

Ranta has a lot of talent but the big dig on him is his lack of hockey sense. He will never be anything like Nuke, but the grand hope is he carves put a decent role in the NHL. I’m honestly excited to see what he can do.

I think the hope is he’s the exact opposite than Nuke in terms of offense. I think people see the size and speed and conclude he’s Nuke, but based on what I’ve seen Ranta has a better nose for the net, better hands and a better release than Nuke. If you combined the two players you would have one of the best players in the league.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I think the hope is he’s the exact opposite than Nuke in terms of offense. I think people see the size and speed and conclude he’s Nuke, but based on what I’ve seen Ranta has a better nose for the net, better hands and a better release than Nuke. If you combined the two players you would have one of the best players in the league.

Ranta is a poorman's Kreider, a lot of athletic gifts, poor hockey sense. If he can drive the net and shoot the puck when he gets chances I think he could establish himself as a valuable middle-bottom 6 guy.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I mean, why not? He's credited with turning Ryan Graves into a worthwhile player (yes I know, probably not the best time to bring that up) and it looks like players are developing under his watch.

That said, I guess we'll see how well the actual team does this upcoming season. Last season was basically ECHL scrimmage time so I don't think it really counts but they did at least win a game in that silly play-in, and it was guys like Justin Barron playing a key role.

Reactions: PAZ

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I mean, why not? He's credited with turning Ryan Graves into a worthwhile player (yes I know, probably not the best time to bring that up) and it looks like players are developing under his watch.

That said, I guess we'll see how well the actual team does this upcoming season. Last season was basically ECHL scrimmage time so I don't think it really counts but they did at least win a game in that silly play-in, and it was guys like Justin Barron playing a key role.
I wouldn’t put it like that, there were plenty of veterans playing.

Cronin is definitely better but there’s also only so much he can do. He seems good at details and defense, though defense doesn’t really matter or exist in the AHL, offense is not his forte though.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
As long as Cronin keeps developing players for the big club, it doesn't really matter to me whether the Eagles are an elite team within the AHL. He's got a solid track record so far in that department, with Ranta and Barron to work with next year. I'm glad he's sticking around.

Reactions: PAZ

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I wouldn’t put it like that, there were plenty of veterans playing.

Cronin is definitely better but there’s also only so much he can do. He seems good at details and defense, though defense doesn’t really matter or exist in the AHL, offense is not his forte though.

Well of course there were, but he still seemed to bring in the kids (like Barron) pretty seamlessly.

I honestly don't know if he's a great coach but he appears to be fairly good at talent development.

As far as playing veterans and winning vs. playing rookies and developing talent, I don't know how much push and pull there is between the Eagles and the Avalanche. I feel like Cronin has done a fairly good job of striking a balance though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Does it though?

Let the young guys get those minutes so they can develop. I don’t see why we need Tynan down there who has no NHL future.

They provide insulation and insight to the younger players. Not all AHL all stars are good for teams... but guys like Tynan, they help younger players grow and develop their games.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Does it though?

Let the young guys get those minutes so they can develop. I don’t see why we need Tynan down there who has no NHL future.
You still need AHL vets to round out a team. The Avs don't have six prospects down there who can/should play top six minutes. They need some good AAAA players who can carry the load. Losing guys like Dries and Tynan definitely hurts the Eagles if they want them to be a competitive team.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
You still need AHL vets to round out a team. The Avs don't have six prospects down there who can/should play top six minutes. They need some good AAAA players who can carry the load. Losing guys like Dries and Tynan definitely hurts the Eagles if they want them to be a competitive team.

Insert Sikura and Matteau, guys that can play top AHL minutes and also play a dozen or so games with the big club as needed

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Insert Sikura and Matteau, guys that can play top AHL minutes and also play a dozen or so games with the big club as needed
Forgot about Sikura, that will help. AHL vets come and go fairly quickly. And we still have Megna around, too, he's a good AHL scorer.

Reactions: Tommy Shelby
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad