Speculation: 2021 College/CHL/European Free Agents Speculation Thread

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I haven't seen a thread on this yet so I figured I'd make one. Does anyone know when the signing period for these players starts? I know it's typically shortly after the TDL, but I'm assuming it will be earlier this season. Also who are the top players available?

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
F Julius Nattinen and F Konstantin Okulov were both talked about quite a bit last year but stayed in Europe - I'd imagine they garner interest again.

F Damir Zhafyarov, one of the KHL's leading scorers, has offers from Detroit and Chicago.

G Arvid Soderblom, 21, will be signing an ELC with Chicago

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
These are just the guys who are expiring next year, so there will be quite a few other guys who are available (especially from the NCAA).

NHL Ready
RW Konstantin Okulov - 95' (KHL) - Middle 6/2PP scorer with 20/20 upside.
LW Julius Nattinen - 97' (NLA) - Middle 6/2PP scorer with 20/20 upside with good size.
C Denis Alexeyev - 97' (KHL) - Bottom 6 stout playmaking center who can provide value with good hands, vision, and faceoff ability.

Needs AHL Refinement
LW Jordan Kawaguchi - 97' (NCAA Sr.) - In many ways similar to Hirose out of college. Middle 6 playmaker upside, but likely not more than a high quality AHLer.
C Odeen Tufto - 97' (NCAA Sr.) - Similar to Kawaguchi, but smaller.
G Matt Galajda - 97' (NCAA Sr. *eligible to return an extra year) - Undersized, but has had an exceptional NCAA career with Cornell.
LW Alex Limoges - 97' (NCAA Sr.) - Power forward with bottom 6 potential. Solid in his own end and had an NCAA-leading 50 points as a Sophomore in 2018-2019, but has struggled to repeat that production.
LD Matt Kiersted - 98' (NCAA Sr.) - Puck moving defenseman who is averaging almost a PPG over his Junior and Senior years. Had good interest last year, and should be even better this year. Nothing elite about him though.
RD Jakob Stenqvist - 98' (Liiga) - Former Dallas 6th round pick. Good size and puck moving ability, and has put up almost a PPG in Liiga while improving his defensive game. Still a bit of a project, but could be a solid bottom pairing defenseman after a couple of years in the AHL.
C Max Johnson - 98' (NCAA Sr.) - Like Limoges, he produced a lot as a Sophomore but hasn't repeated it. Apparently he has become a more well-rounded player though. He's not big, but he can play center and may be a decent bottom 6 center at some point, but more likely organizational depth.
C Riley Stotts - 00' (WHL) - No real weaknesses, but no real strengths either outside of having some high IQ. He is versatile and reliable, but is a very vanilla prospect. Could have easily earned an ELC with the Leafs if he had a strong WHL playoffs.
C Curtis Douglas - 00' (OHL) - 6'9" player with bottom 6 potential. Has all the tools to become an excellent bottom 6 player, but simply needs refinement. I believe some team will give him a shot on an ELC.
C Luke Henman - 00' (QMJHL) - Lesser version of Stotts, but still a solid playmaking prospect. I can see a team giving him an ELC, so I put him on here, but more likely is a priority AHL contract.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
F Julius Nattinen and F Konstantin Okulov were both talked about quite a bit last year but stayed in Europe - I'd imagine they garner interest again.

F Damir Zhafyarov, one of the KHL's leading scorers, has offers from Detroit and Chicago.

Torpedo NN is going to miss him if he leaves. They have a bunch of former high end AHL scorers but he does most of the offensive lifting for them right now.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
upload_2021-3-2_13-59-25.png

Johnny Danger

Jul 7, 2002
Suisse
Visit site
what about Lassi Lehtinen? he's smallish (6-0) but so are some others, that made it to the NHL. And Lehtinen is absolutly destroying the Liiga right now.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

Sources?

Not being a jerk.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Any interest in Justin Danforth? 28 years old tied for 6th in KHL scoring with 55 points in 58 games, over ppg in Liga last season. Undrafted

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
5'8" and 28 years old. Likely wouldn't get a sniff at any other than the AHL in a tight cap COVID era.
Didn’t even look at his size, just saw him near the top of KHL scoring and noticed he was Canadian. You’re most likely right

Reactions: Mick Jagr

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Waiting to hear about Canucks prospect Aiden McDonough. His season is done and he had an exceptional 2nd season.

This year he did it without Madden. Has anyone heard anything? Would like to see his sign.

6’3 210lb

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Matt Kiersted is the Top NCAA Free Agent Target

THN's Ryan Kennedy had an article today which mentioned Matt Kiersted, Jordan Kawaguchi, Marc McLaughlin, Odeen Tufto, and Trevin Kozlowski.

Edit: A few hours after reading the article, I remembered that I watched Army/Providence game in Vegas and Kozlowski was in net for Army. I wonder if Vegas owner (and West Point grad) Bill Foley might nudge them to add Kozlowski as a minor league depth goalie.

Edit #2: I was reminded of the last time Army had a goalie named Parker Gahagen with pro offers. He graduated in 2017 and was about to sign with San Jose. But Army changed its policy so that graduates served two additional years of military service, so Gahagen had to turn down the ELC. Not sure if the same would apply for Kozlowski since he's a junior, but taking a couple seasons off would be tough for anybody with pro aspirations.

Colorado Eagles EBUG Parker Gahagen, a U.S. Army officer, balancing hockey dream with active service – Loveland Reporter-Herald

Last edited:
Reactions: Tao Jones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->