Line Combos: 2021 Boston Bruins Lines

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
I know they’ve been fine recently, but I still think the Bruins are at their peak with Coyle as their #3C.

With Kuraly at 3C I think we have one of the weaker 3rd line centers in the league, ahead of only Florida and some of the North teams.

Like I said, I know it’s looked better recently but I still think Coyle has to be playing well in the 3C role for the team to be a Cup quality roster.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
I wonder if we can try this ->

Marchand - Bergeron - Hall
Kase - Krejci - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Coyle - Smith
Ritchie - Kuraly - Lazar

I mean Bruins are doing fantastic at the moment, but you might and probably will see lineup changes during playoffs. I wonder if Cassidy wants to try something like this if he makes line changes.

I just love the idea of all Czech line.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I think it will be

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Hall - Krejci - Smith
Ritchie - Kuraly - Coyle
DeBrusk - Lazar - Kase

Or you could go

Hall - Krejci - Smith
DeBrusk - Coyle - Kase
Ritchie - Kuraly -Lazar
I like number 2

I think the 4th line might be better then line 3 in option one. either way the more assets available the better

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa

Kase - Krejci - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Coyle - Smith
Ritchie - Kuraly - Lazar

I mean Bruins are doing fantastic at the moment, but you might and probably will see lineup changes during playoffs. I wonder if Cassidy wants to try something like this if he makes line changes.

I really don't want to split up Krejci and Hall, they are absolutely fantastic together, I'm not sure any player has complimented Krejci so well.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site

Kase - Krejci - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Coyle - Smith
Ritchie - Kuraly - Lazar

You're playing two guys out of their normal positions. Not a good idea to be experimenting at this stage of the season.

Why is it important to have the same nationality on a line? They speak hockey, no?

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Top 6 is untouchable at this point. If Kase returns to what he showed last year in the playoffs I’d go with this game 1.

Marchand - Bergeron - Pasta
Hall - Krejci - Smith
Debrusk - Coyle - Kase
Ritchie - Kuraly - Lazar

Lauzon - Mcavoy
Grz - Carlo
Reilly - Miller

Rask
Swayman

I hate to demote Ritchie to the 4th but I don’t see Debrusk as a realistic option on an effective 4th line in the playoffs. We need a heavier forechecking 4th line and that’s certainly not Debrusk.

The 1LD can move around between Grz and Lauzon depending on the matchups.

That’s a pretty damn good lineup if you ask me.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Coyle would already be playing C if they wanted him there. Imho he'll stay on the wing. Interesting pickle this brings up.

The case for Kase taking 4th line minutes is compelling, just from a realistic load management perspective. If he goes he probably starts there.

The Laukomotive

Nov 26, 2017
I think it will be

Hall - Krejci - Smith
Ritchie - Kuraly - Coyle
DeBrusk - Lazar - Kase

Or you could go

Hall - Krejci - Smith
DeBrusk - Coyle - Kase
Ritchie - Kuraly -Lazar

That's what I think they should do.

Kuraly, Coyle, Debrusk struggled most of the season.

The Ritchie - Kuraly - Coyle line meshed really well together. You just fixed 2 problems. I wouldn't change that line, even with the current options. And definitely not this close to the playoffs.

DeBrusk started playing better with Lazar and Kuhlman. If you can insert a healthy Kase in that line, that's two middle six talent on the fourth line. That's a matchup nightmare for other teams.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Coyle would already be playing C if they wanted him there. Imho he'll stay on the wing. Interesting pickle this brings up.

The case for Kase taking 4th line minutes is compelling, just from a realistic load management perspective. If he goes he probably starts there.
I think if they have to choose between sitting a healthy legitimate 3RW in Kase or moving Coyle back to his natural position they’d go with the latter.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Marchand Bergeron Pastrnak
Hall Krejci Smith
Ritchie Coyle Kase
DeBrusk Kuraly Lazar

Lazar and Kuraly can flip between C and RW

No chance Kase is worth trying in my opinion anyways.

The major question - can Coyle be both a possession force AND the playmaker on the 3rd line for Ritchie and Debrusk. He will have to - Debrusk is a goal scorer, purely. Someone has to get him the puck.

If that 3rd line of Ritchie, Coyle, Debrusk can produce, it gives the Bruins an unstoppable four line team.

4th line with Kuraly, Lazar, and cyle Khulman and Frederic depending on the opposition. No more Wagner.

If the team stays healthy, the Bruins will be very difficult to stop. That trade deadline for Hall and Lazar saved the Bruins.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Come playoff time, given how the Bruins like to use their fourth line when they have the correct personnel (which they do now with the Lazar addition), I really don't see them using Kase or DeBrusk on that line. Bruins like a fourth line that is relentless and a pain in the ass. DeBrusk and Kase do not provide that style of play.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I think it will be

Hall - Krejci - Smith
Ritchie - Kuraly - Coyle
DeBrusk - Lazar - Kase

Or you could go

Hall - Krejci - Smith
DeBrusk - Coyle - Kase
Ritchie - Kuraly -Lazar

Only the second could work in my kind. I have very little confidence in Kase's health in a playoff series, but that gives Coyle and Debrusk a playmaker and allows Ritchie to focus on hitting and intimidating.

The first options renders the Bruins with two 4th lines unfortunately. Lazar line might even be the 3rd line in that case.

Reactions: Alicat

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think the Bruins are onto something with the Ritchie - Kuraly - Coyle line. Big heavy line. Two-way presence in the middle. 2 of the 3 kill penalties.

That leaves

Debrusk - Lazar - Kase

Debrusk and Kase seemed to have some chemistry last year. Lazar has enough skill and jam to center those two.

There really is no 4th line, more like 3-A and 3-B. They'd probably lean harder on Ritchie-Kuraly-Coyle defensively, which is fine.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I don't think Kase is getting a spot in the playoff lineup unless an injury forces him in.

Bottom six will be what we've been seeing. Ritchie-Kuraly-Coyle and DeBrusk-Lazar-Wagner.

The third is heavy and will be a possession nightmare, albeit I don't think they'll convert many chances.

The 4th should being solid energy. If DeBrusk is looking sluggish, you swap in Frederic. If you want a more skilled look, maybe you swap in Kase for Wagner.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I still don't see why 4th liners need to be some kind of distinct skillset separate from the rest of the team. If Jake Debrusk is your 10th best forward, he shouldn't be scratched for Chris Wagner because he's not a "fourth liner". And so on and so forth.

Put your best players out there to play hockey. If Debrusk-Lazar-Kase or whoever are your three best players after the top 9, put them out there. I appreciate the energy a good 4th line can bring, but you give ice time to the best options.

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
Kase is better than every single player in our bottom 6. He's in.
Lol he certainly is not, but he's the most overrated player to have never scored a goal on this team.
Kase was drafted in the 7th round of the 2014 draft. His best season was in 2017/2018 where he averaged the 3rd best TOI as a right wing.
After that illustrious season, he has been plaqued with upper body injuries which included a shoulder injury that required surgery and of course the numerous concussions.
This latest upper body put him out for about what 4 months of this crazy pandemic plaqued season.
I just don't see him having a real future on this team or any other NHL team for that matter after this season.
I hope I am wrong about this, but I know what it's like to have lingering issues with concussions, mine has lasted 3 yr now.

Last edited:

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I think it will be

Hall - Krejci - Smith
Ritchie - Kuraly - Coyle
DeBrusk - Lazar - Kase

Or you could go

Hall - Krejci - Smith
DeBrusk - Coyle - Kase
Ritchie - Kuraly -Lazar

Option 1 with Wagner over Kase. The team needs energy and toughness somewhere.

Reactions: UConn126

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad