Line Combos: 2021 Boston Bruins Lines

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Looks like they see the same thing I see, which is Coyle being a black hole as a center for that 3rd line. Glad they bumped him out of there for now, hopefully it can improve with him on the wing.

Reactions: inactive user

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Sorry if we already covered this, but when Carlo is in and Clifton is out, what are the pairings going to be?

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
probably GRZ/McA, REI/CAR, LAU/MIL, right? and to anybody confused about why I think Ritchie has been atrocious, please see his minus rate. "....scores more than...." is a garbage point of contention against evidence of such cumulative minuses. and relative minuses. I had him at a 57 (a failing grade) in my last crunch of roster ratings, with math, without opinion factors.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Really like

Frederic Kuraly Coyle 3rd line potential. All 3 can play center. Tall. Scrappy.

Nice scoring chance by Kuraly and Frederic

However not sure what to make of

Ritchie Lazar Wagner line

Reactions: Blowfish

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Really like

Frederic Kuraly Coyle 3rd line potential. All 3 can play center. Tall. Scrappy.

Nice scoring chance by Kuraly and Frederic

However not sure what to make of

Ritchie Lazar Wagner line

Agree With new third line. Tough group to play against.

4th. Line needs work . I hope to see rotation between Ritchie Debrusk Kuhlman. Lazar and Wags are working.

Still hoping to see some Kase but where?

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
it's clearly still too early to be crunching numbers on the new guys, but... let's hear it for the outliers! based on my always-trusted effectiveness ratings calculated today, I have a few easy calls I'd like made before the playoffs, in time to gel the lower lines.

MAR 113 - BER 119 - PAS 89
HALL 142 - KRE 89 - SMI 104
RIT 59 - KUR 47 - COY 65
FRE 63 - LAZ 76 - WAG 46
GRZ 85 - McA 102
REI 111 - MIL 70
LAU 97 - CLI 85
RAS 88
HALA 84

not dressing:
DeB 74 - STU 61 - KAS 75
BLI 21 - McK 9 - STE 75
_____-_____- SEN 59
_____-_____- KUH 46
ZBO 69 - KAM 90
VAA 55 - CAR 75
TIN 43 -_____
ACH -23 -_____
SWA 102
VLA 71

with the given that everybody loves me and my maths, I see some glaringly easy choices to be made. how long will they hold spots for Campbell Plus and Thornton Lite here? (it has to stop.) is Miller worth his leadership over super-hot Kampfer? it seems like Lauzon has figured it out. I would love to see a trial of DeB/LAZ/STE and FRE/STU/COY with Ritchie and Senyshyn as the substitutes. something something something something Swayman.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Have one for you all. In a hypothetical 7 game series vs Washington (and their style of play and size), with all the D healthy, give me your pairings...

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
My 7th is definitely Tinordi. Wish there was a way to get him in, but I don't see who he could bump from there. He's next man up for me in that series.
Yeah, I like Tinordi, but I see no reason to force him in just because Washington has a couple big guys. Given how they like to have 3 left shots and 3 right shots, I think Tinordi is the 7L and Clifton the 7R, so it would depend on who is getting replaced. Clifton isn't the biggest, but he is our team leader in hits, with 10 more than the next guy (Ritchie), so he definitely brings a physical edge.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Forwards without a healthy Kase:

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak

Hall -Krejci - Smith

Ritchie -Kuraly - Coyle (love this big heavy line)

Debrusk - Frederic - Lazar (maybe some of Frederic's and Lazar's enthusiasm rub off on old Jake)

With a healthy Kase

Hall - Krejci - Smith

Ritchie - Kuraly - Coyle

Debrusk - Lazar - Kase

1st substitution - Frederic

Extras: Wagner, Kuhlman, Blidh, McKegg

Let's be honest there is practically no hope of making it through 4 rounds of playoffs dressing just 6 guys. It's a fairly deep group of 10, but there are 6 guys who I would start in Game 1/Round 1.

Gryz - McAvoy

Reilly - Carlo

Lauzon - Miller

It's a toss-up for me which of Zboril or Tinordi are better options. Neither possess much in the way of a hockey brain. Meanwhile Clifton is clearly the better between him and Kampfer (even though Kampfer has been pretty good this year). Assuming Miller physically can't play every playoff game, Clifton will be a valuable player likely seeing some time to spell Miller and his knee.

Starter: Rask

Back-up: Swayman

3rd G: Halak

Should something happen to Rask, the Bruins are in a better position IMO this year than they were last year. Until Swayman falters, he's the better option to dress over Halak.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

Hall -Krejci - Smith

Debrusk - Frederic - Lazar (maybe some of Frederic's and Lazar's enthusiasm rub off on old Jake)

With a healthy Kase

Hall - Krejci - Smith

Ritchie - Kuraly - Coyle

Debrusk - Lazar - Kase

Let's be honest there is practically no hope of making it through 4 rounds of playoffs dressing just 6 guys. It's a fairly deep group of 10, but there are 6 guys who I would start in Game 1/Round 1.

Gryz - McAvoy

Reilly - Carlo

Lauzon - Miller

It's a toss-up for me which of Zboril or Tinordi are better options. Neither possess much in the way of a hockey brain. Meanwhile Clifton is clearly the better between him and Kampfer (even though Kampfer has been pretty good this year). Assuming Miller physically can't play every playoff game, Clifton will be a valuable player likely seeing some time to spell Miller and his knee.

Should something happen to Rask, the Bruins are in a better position IMO this year than they were last year. Until Swayman falters, he's the better option to dress over Halak.

Looks okay, but I still have my doubts about that left side D in a playoff grind. Not much experience at all. Hope they prove me wrong.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Hall -Krejci - Smith

With a healthy Kase

Hall - Krejci - Smith

Ritchie - Kuraly - Coyle

Debrusk - Lazar - Kase

Gryz - McAvoy

Reilly - Carlo

Lauzon - Miller

A healthy Kase?

I doubt we will see him in a Bruins uniform again

You cant go 0 to 60 ... especially with his concussion history

I would be surprised

Reactions: BruinDust

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Have one for you all. In a hypothetical 7 game series vs Washington (and their style of play and size), with all the D healthy, give me your pairings...

Game 1

Gryz - McAvoy
Reilly - Carlo
Lauzon - Miller

however by the 3rd period it will be

Lauzon - McAvoy
Reilly - Carlo
Gryz - Miller

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
A healthy Kase?

I doubt we will see him in a Bruins uniform again

You cant go 0 to 60 ... especially with his concussion history

I would be surprised

I would be too.

If he's healthy he's one of the 12 best forwards on this team. He looked like one of the few Bruins forwards with some chemistry with Debrusk. I hope for his return while not holding my breath.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I would be too.

If he's healthy he's one of the 12 best forwards on this team. He looked like one of the few Bruins forwards with some chemistry with Debrusk. I hope for his return while not holding my breath.
Bruce has mentioned him in injury updates a couple times recently, which I think has given some people hope he's close to being able to return.

I'm aligned with you guys, I think his career is done. With all we know about head injuries, and the magnitude and volume of them he's already sustained, it seems just not worth it.

But hey, if he wants to play, and can get a couple weeks of practice in before returning, maybe he's a wildcard X-factor in the playoffs if injuries force other guys out of the lineup.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I agree with this statement, but thinking back; Did we have any blueline injuries in the 2011 run? I don't remember any.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I agree with this statement, but thinking back; Did we have any blueline injuries in the 2011 run? I don't remember any.

Chara missed game 2 of the Habs series with some kind of flu, then McQuaid missed games 3 & 4 of the Philly series. I forget why, maybe a concussion. Shane Hnidy stepped into the lineup for those games. Ference, Kaberle, Seidenberg, and Boychuk went all 25.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah didn’t they put him with the Merlot line? lol

Not sure where Seguin played at the start of Round 3 when Bergeron was out. I know once Bergeron returned the 3rd line became Kelly - Seguin - Ryder and Pevs dropped to line 4 pushing Thornton out.

kjpm

May 28, 2011
Gotta say, the Ritchie - Kuraly - Coyle line has been pretty impressive so far. Kuraly has complemented those two extremely well and I'm surprised considering how he looked up until his COVID break (he has been much better since though). I don't think it's crazy to roll with that line in the playoffs, although long term Coyle belongs at center. We'll see how it goes but they've been extremely productive so far.

The only change I would consider at this point is maaaaybe Kase in for Kuhlman IF he's fully healthy. More knowledgeable people than me (Dom, Raycroft) seem to think he's coming back, Cassidy's been mentioning him lately... we will see. If he is able to come back and regain his form he's easily one of their 12 best forwards. A DeBrusk - Lazar - Kase line would be a pretty damn talented "4th" line. I like Kuhlman but Kase would bring similar energy but with some more skill and playmaking ability. It would be cool see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad