Mikhail Stefanovich
Sergei Kostitsyn
Andrei Kostitsyn
Geoff Platt

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Shane Prince. Francis Pare. Geoff Platt. Nick Bailen. Danny Taylor. Thats 5 imports.

Kostitsyn brothers, i thought they where done. Mikhail Stefanovich is the slowest player in the entire world. Its gonna be a pleasure watching him trying to skate. Hockey is supposed to be a serious sport, but Stefanovich brings comedy with his skating.

Reactions: wacko2

wacko2

Dec 28, 2019
various
Shane Prince. Francis Pare. Geoff Platt. Nick Bailen. Danny Taylor. Thats 5 imports.

Kostitsyn brothers, i thought they where done. Mikhail Stefanovich is the slowest player in the entire world. Its gonna be a pleasure watching him trying to skate. Hockey is supposed to be a serious sport, but Stefanovich brings comedy with his skating.

And i was mistakenly informed that Minsk was too dangerous for a hockey tournament. Funny, so many play and live much of the year there

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
And you are only counting the ones with last names that are easy to pick out of the bunch. German Nesterov will make the roster with 99% certainty. This dude tried to make Kazakhstan roster couple of years ago, now he fell in love with next country in his bid to polish his CV...

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
And you are only counting the ones with last names that are easy to pick out of the bunch. German Nesterov will make the roster with 99% certainty. This dude tried to make Kazakhstan roster couple of years ago, now he fell in love with next country in his bid to polish his CV...

Yeah there is probaly a couple of russians on the roster.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Antonov, Kovyrshin, Nesterov (for whom it appears to be a 2nd passport change lol), so actually 8. Still way less than it used to be, props for that. Also, Kodola getting international caps for Belarus and becoming ineligible for Russia is a nice win, that makes me happy.

Also comedic value of certain players aside, that's a really solid roster.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
The worst part is that next year probably will be even uglier, as there are talks that Varfolomeyev, Gorbunov have already agreed to play for Belarus next year. No doubt Voronin, Almquist and even Mosalyov might be considered after becoming eligible too. Sickening to see all this, after seeing Belarus youth doing so well and churning out really solid prospects lately.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
The worst part is that next year probably will be even uglier, as there are talks that Varfolomeyev, Gorbunov have already agreed to play for Belarus next year. No doubt Voronin, Almquist and even Mosalyov might be considered after becoming eligible too. Sickening to see all this, after seeing Belarus youth doing so well and churning out really solid prospects lately.

Churning good prospects lately is the key though. In 5 or so years we will likely few if any imports due to the improvements in youth hockey

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Churning good prospects lately is the key though. In 5 or so years we will likely few if any imports due to the improvements in youth hockey
They are going to have a team full of upper echelon KHL players in 5 years? Because, like ozo pointed out already, that's the only reason why they would stop using imports.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Antonov, Kovyrshin, Nesterov (for whom it appears to be a 2nd passport change lol), so actually 8. Still way less than it used to be, props for that. Also, Kodola getting international caps for Belarus and becoming ineligible for Russia is a nice win, that makes me happy.

Also comedic value of certain players aside, that's a really solid roster.
Shouldn't he play in IIHF competition first in order to become ineligible for Russia ?

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Danny Taylor - was eligible for GB i believe and then lands in Belarus.
He wasn't eligible. It's not enough to have the passport of the country, player has to have two consecutive years played in the said nation to be able to represent the national team.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
He wasn't eligible. It's not enough to have the passport of the country, player has to have two consecutive years played in the said nation to be able to represent the national team.
Right - thanks

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
They are going to have a team full of upper echelon KHL players in 5 years? Because, like ozo pointed out already, that's the only reason why they would stop using imports.

Protas, Sharangovich, Sushko, Kolyachonok, are a more promising group of youngsters than Belarus has ever had. They also looked good at u-18s. They should be in a better place in near future

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Protas, Sharangovich, Sushko, Kolyachonok, are a more promising group of youngsters than Belarus has ever had. They also looked good at u-18s. They should be in a better place in near future
That is absolutely correct but it isn't going to stop them playing imports. Sushko also is getting to the point where he hardly belongs to this conversation, sadly. In general, other than Sharangovich and Protas (and Kodola now, I guess), Belarus doesn't have any prospect at F in that 20-25 category that would be tracking to become impact KHL players. So it's not rocket science what will fill the gaps.

Defense and goalies do look the best they ever have though, that much is true.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Rough looking exhibition game. Only Shostak and Bailen is worth mentioning as good performers in this one. Anyway, I hate Zakharov as a person and a coach - how on earth with expanded 28 man roster you end up playing Yeryomenko on the wing?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He felt obliged to give Yeryomenko some kind of playing time but at the same time isn't interested in how he actually plays on D because in the WC he never will. That's my guess.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
What happened to goalies Dmitri Milchakov, Alexander Osipkov and Ivan Kulbakov? Are they not good enough anymore?

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
What happened to goalies Dmitri Milchakov, Alexander Osipkov and Ivan Kulbakov? Are they not good enough anymore?
As the poster above me says, Kulbakov probably would be there if not for an injury. Osipkov and Milchakov (and unmentioned Brikun, Trus, Karnaukhov or even Tolopilo) are simply just not good enough. That said if not for the shortsightedness of Belarus federation wanting Taylor on the roster, one of them would be in the training camp right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad