2021 Avs mid season grades

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It's so funny how we all see Mikko at different levels. PAZ sees him A-, I see him as B+. I don't know what goes into PAZ's thinking, but mine is that Mikko needs to drive his own line at the money he's being payed. It's that simple....we can afford Mikko as a winger for Nate until Nate's contract is done. After that we might very well have to make a decision. Nate would be the guy I protect first and foremost. Rants is a luxury...and will always be one until he can demonstrate over a full year that he can carry a line.
What's wrong with having one of the best lines in hockey?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
These grades are relative to expectations for each player.

----

• Mackinnon B-: Hard to be too critical as he has 32 points in 26 games, but 3 goals at 5v5 is too low.
  • Rantanen A: Doing everything required. To earn an A+ he'd need to be more dominant shift-to-shift and game-to-game, but the production is absolutely there.
  • Landeskog B: Production is there overall, but he had too many down games when the team was going through their tough injury stretch when you'd expect him to carry more of the load.

• Kadri B: Production is there at 25 points in 30 games, but he's had too many off games and defensive lapses to get a higher grade.
  • Burakovsky B: His points total is good, but only 4 goals at 5v5 needs to improve.
  • Saad A-: Slow start, but he's 8th in the league in goals/60 at 5v5 which is exactly what he was brought in for.

• Nichuskin C+: Upturn in March, but zero production before that. Defense has been solid throughout, hence the +.
  • Jost C+: Great on the PK, but offensive production hasn't been there.
  • Donskoi A: Leads the team in points/60 at 5v5 and 2nd on the team in goals. Would get a + but his shot% is 32.3 so this doesn't seem sustainable.

• Calvert C-: Hard to be critical of him given the effort he brings despite lingering concussion issues, but 0 goals and 2 assists in 17 games isn't great.
  • Bellemare C: Production isn't there, but he's generally doing the job he's paid to do as 4C with 57% Corsi and faceoffs at 58.12% at 5v5 and 66.7% on the PK.
  • Compher F: Playing well below his standards offensively and his possession metrics are clearly the worst on the team.

• O'Connor B+: You'd love to see more production than 3 points in 17 games, but for a 13th forward his energy and 61.9 CF% have been impressive enough to earn him a regular roster spot.
  • Sherwood C+: Did well in his few games early in the season.

----

• Toews A+: Pacing 51 points and played great with big minutes when the team was struggling with injuries. Been awesome on the PK as well.
  • Makar A-: 16 points in 18 games is good and he was the early Norris favourite, but he gets a - because he's been available so little and because he only has 2 goals.

• Girard A+: Pacing 64 points and has played big minutes when needed. Arguably the teams MVP this season.
  • Byram B: Has had his ups-and-downs this season as a rookie, but for the most part he's been impressive. Needs more offensive production than just 2 assists in 18 GP for a higher grade.

• Graves C-: He's been great on the PK but overall he's had a roller coaster season and inconsistency gets him a -, but that's partly due to often playing in a bigger role than he's suited for.
  • MacDonald A+: Relative to expectation of being an AHL callup to fill in for injuries he's been awesome and leads the league in Corsi.

• Timmins D+: He's a rookie so some leeway needs to be given, but he he has been inconsistent and it's disappointing that he hasn't earned a roster spot despite numerous opportunities.
  • Renouf B: Was very solid as an AHL callup.
  • Pateryn D: Didn't have huge expectations of him but he's been passable recently although he was a bit rough early on.
----

• Grubauer A+: He hasn't stolen many games, but his overall stats are very impressive and have him in the Vezina conversation: 3rd in sv%, 1st in GAA, 3rd in GSAA, and 1st in HDSV%.
  • Miska F: This is partly on Sakic, but Miska's .837sv% is the 3rd worst in 30 years among goalies with at least 5 starts. The fact that Avs had to trade a pick for another No.3 condemns this grade to an F.

----

Did Not Grade: Johnson, Francouz

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
It's so funny how we all see Mikko at different levels. PAZ sees him A-, I see him as B+. I don't know what goes into PAZ's thinking, but mine is that Mikko needs to drive his own line at the money he's being payed. It's that simple....we can afford Mikko as a winger for Nate until Nate's contract is done. After that we might very well have to make a decision. Nate would be the guy I protect first and foremost. Rants is a luxury...and will always be one until he can demonstrate over a full year that he can carry a line.

Does the same logic apply to MacKinnon, when Rantanen is the one carrying that line? Or is this thinking strictly reserved for Rantanen?

There are plenty of great players league-wide that play with other great players.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - C
Andre Burakovsky - B
Matt Calvert - B
J.T. Compher - D-
Joonas Donskoi - A
Tyson Jost - B+
Nazem Kadri - B
Gabriel Landeskog - B
Nathan MacKinnon - B+
Jayson Megna - D
Valeri Nichuskin - B+
Logan O'Connor - B+
Mikko Rantanen - A
Brandan Saad - B+
Kiefer Sherwood - C-
Bowen Byram - B
Dennis Gilbert - D
Samuel Girard - A++
Ryan Graves - C-
Jacob MacDonald - A
Cale Makar - B+
Greg Pateryn - D
Dan Renouf - C
Conor Timmins - C
Devon Toews - A+
Pavel Francouz - N/A
Phillip Grubauer - A++

MVP - Grub
LVP - Compher

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Mack - A
Landeskog- A
Rantanen- A+
Kadri - A-
Bura- A-
Saad - A-
Donk - A+
Compher - C+
Nichuskin - B+
Jost - B
LOC - B+
Belly - C+
Calvert - B-
Toews - A
Girard - A+
Makar- A
Bowen- B+
Graves - B-
Macdonald - B
Timmins - C-
Grub - A++

maybe a little bit of rencency bias but the team looks amazing this year top to bottom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad