NFL GDT: 2021 AFC Divisional Round: (2) Kansas City Chiefs vs (3) Buffalo Bills

KC vs BUF

• Total voters

SepticFish

Jul 14, 2005
There's been 11 overtime playoff games since they changed the rule in 2010. The winner of the coin toss is 10-1 with 7 wins on the first drive. Leave the rule as is for the regular season, but in the playoffs, just let each team have a chance with the ball. The more football the better.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
The argument that the Bills didn’t deserve fairness or a possession in OT because they couldn’t stop the Chiefs for 13 seconds - which is admittedly egregious - fails to consider that there are numerous other ways to get to OT besides giving up such a drive and a last-play tying field goal.
I'm coming in late here but I was only able to just watch the recording of the game and while watching this stuck out to me: The rules are the rules. The year the Pats won the Superbowl we beat the Chiefs in KC in OT on the first drive in a very similar type of game. The sports gods owed them this one.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'm coming in late here but I was only able to just watch the recording of the game and while watching this stuck out to me: The rules are the rules. The year the Pats won the Superbowl we beat the Chiefs in KC in OT on the first drive in a very similar type of game. The sports gods owed them this one.

Out of some sense of fairness?

Look, my specific point here is that your argument against changing the format can’t be ‘Bills couldn’t stop Chiefs from scoring in a paltry 13 seconds.’ How two teams arrived at overtime is immaterial to how the overtime itself should be conducted.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Out of some sense of fairness?

Look, my specific point here is that your argument against changing the format can’t be ‘Bills couldn’t stop Chiefs from scoring in a paltry 13 seconds.’ How two teams arrived at overtime is immaterial to how the overtime itself should be conducted.
Ya I'm not sure why I quoted you specifically, it was just a general musing and not even an attempt on my part to respond to what you said. I was a little buzzed-up last night and watched a recording of the game. My bad.

I get that something should change with overtime rules, I just don't know what that change should be. My random thought was just that it felt like that AFC title game a few years ago, with the back & forth scoring and super late scores.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The Bills had 60 minutes prior before to outscore them, they didnt. The rule is fine. Dont allow 44 yards in 10 seconds.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
There's been 11 overtime playoff games since they changed the rule in 2010. The winner of the coin toss is 10-1 with 7 wins on the first drive. Leave the rule as is for the regular season, but in the playoffs, just let each team have a chance with the ball. The more football the better.
You can't have different rules for different times of the year.

Also the PA plays a big role in all this. The more football = more chance, and greater risk of being hurt.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
The Bills had 60 minutes prior before to outscore them, they didnt. The rule is fine. Dont allow 44 yards in 10 seconds.

So did Chiefs and they also didn't outscore them. That's why they went to OT and it should benefit the sport if both teams had the possibility to attack. If you can't play your star player in OT then what's the point. That's why i say the coin flip plays a too big role in OT.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
And if the Chiefs lost they shouldnt have complained either. there is nothing wrong with sudden death after a full game.

I don't think Buffalo have a stance to complain and I don't think anyone is making that argument. The sole argument is that the rules suck for everyone involved. Personally, I have zero problem with sudden death in a back-and-forth sport like hockey or soccer. I find it really problematic in football. Frankly, I don't understand why even make the change from FG to TD if the defensive team doesn't get the ball back anyways. I know that they do for a FG, but if the argument is 'They should have prevented the team for scoring,' I don't see how it's consistent to allow a possession after a FG and not a TD.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Is it really hard to understand that the manner in which teams got to OT doesn’t matter? Arguing in favor of leaving the rules the same is fine, but your reasoning can’t be ‘don’t give up points in the last second.’

Mayne the other three games should have gone to OT, since the winners couldn’t be bothered to score more points before the last second.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I believe the point is that NHL has different rules for OT in the regular season vs the postseason. Which was posted in response to your statement that you can’t do that.
I know what the point is. My point was that it's irrelevant because we are talking about a completely different sport. There's also 17 games as oppose to 82.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad