Prospect Info: 2021 6th Rd Pick (#185 OA) - Vyacheslav Peksa (G) - Kazan (MHL)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It would be really funny if this 'obscure' pick amounted to something.

I actually don't mind this pick too much. It's a 6th round flyer in a pandemic draft so expectations are by definition going to be low. And obviously no one's even really seen this guy. Maybe there's some interesting intel on this guy.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Update on this season in the MHL for Peksa:

24 GP 10 Wins, 8 losses with 4 Shutouts

GAA of 1.78 and a Sv% of .940

Not bad for a sixth rounder in the Minors.

D+2 though. It's always nice seeing a guy put up good stats, but it's nothing to get excited about until he shows he can do it at the KHL level. If he ever even makes it that far. Let's remember Artur is the same age and had a VHL season in his D+1 (last year) and he's completely fallen off a cliff this year.

I made a post in the Marlies thread where every single active NHL goalie from Russia had played about as many KHL games at this point in their career (besides Shesty, who was blocked) as he has MHL games. No Russian goalie has ever taken the route Peksa has and showed success.

Good on the numbers though. Only way to buck the trend is by crushing levels you've aged out of.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Juniors not minors btw. The Leafs are overdue for a hit on a goalie at the draft table. Maybe he's the one.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
D+2 though. It's always nice seeing a guy put up good stats, but it's nothing to get excited about until he shows he can do it at the KHL level. If he ever even makes it that far. Let's remember Artur is the same age and had a VHL season in his D+1 (last year) and he's completely fallen off a cliff this year.

I made a post in the Marlies thread where every single active NHL goalie from Russia had played about as many KHL games at this point in their career (besides Shesty, who was blocked) as he has MHL games. No Russian goalie has ever taken the route Peksa has and showed success.

Good on the numbers though. Only way to buck the trend is by crushing levels you've aged out of.

Yeah, the key here is just let the darkhorse goalie work his way through the developmental systems and see what you have in a few years time. With a 6th round overager from half way around the world it just seems too early to even look at sign posts to follow these little steps or understand why he's "behind" developmentally.

I imagine the Leafs probably saw something they liked in Peksa while looking at Akhtryamov, or they got tipped off by a KHL scout this guy might be a hidden something. Our KHL scouting hasn't exactly paid off much either, so take it all with a grain of salt.

Reactions: Morgs

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
I've watched a couple of Peksa's games this year and I think the scorekeepers in Russia are extremely generous with their shots/saves. One game he had around 54 saves in the box score but I honestly would have guessed 30ish saves. I feel like a lot of the goalies in Russia have great stats so maybe his numbers should be taken with a grain of salt. He looked good and athletic but who knows with goalies, hope he is in VHL or KHL next year to face some real competition, the MHL is not the best hockey.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Every single one starts for the National teams too. Usually both the U18's and U20's.

Peksa won't even make the squad as a backup, and was passed over by a trio of undrafted goalies. Akhtyamov was at least the backup to Askarov, who is a premier goalie prospect. If there was a time to buck the trends, that would be it.

I have little faith in Peksa TBH. His best chance is likely going to a bad KHL team next year and be their starter, or at least a quality backup. Same goes for Akhtyamov. Kazan has too much money to need to rely on mediocre goalie prospects on their KHL squad.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Toronto Maple Leafs Just May Have a New Top Prospect

Jump ahead to this season, and you will see that his numbers have improved. His record right now is 10-8-5, which is not great, but that has more to do with the team in front of him. Peksa’s stats have greatly improved with a 1.78 GAA and .940 SV% with four shutouts.
Peksa is currently unsigned by Toronto, which is not unusual, and will likely play in Russia for a couple more seasons. Hopefully, he can continue to play well and make his way over to North America eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad