Playoff Winners x 6 TBA

Pot 4

AC Milan
Wolfsburg

Qualifying for remaining spots starts June 22

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
POT 1 isn't what it used to be...although it doesn't really matter which teams are in Pot1 and Pot2, they will face each other no matter what.

Chelsea and City will get a big team from Pot2 anyway. Juve or Dortmund would be nice, so you don't get Atalanta or Leipzig fromPot3.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
To the old timers here. Is this one of the biggest upsets in Champions finals history?
Not even close. Not even the biggest Chelsea upset in a final.

Biggest upset in a final has to be 2004-05 Liverpool over AC Milan. Yes I am LFC fan but I don’t think this is even a hot take

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
POT 1 isn't what it used to be...although it doesn't really matter which teams are in Pot1 and Pot2, they will face each other no matter what.

Chelsea and City will get a big team from Pot2 anyway. Juve or Dortmund would be nice, so you don't get Atalanta or Leipzig fromPot3.
Pot 1 is just the league champs. Chelsea and Villarreal stole spots that would have gone to the top teams in Pot 2 other wise but if it was strictly going by coefficient like it used to it would have looked a lot different.

P1: Bayern, Real Madrid, Man City, Barcelona, Juventus, Atletico, Man Utd, PSG

P2: Liverpool, Chelsea, Sevilla, Dortmund, Porto, Ajax, Leipzig, Villarreal

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
No, if you count European Cup. You can start with Steaua Bucharest. Even in the CL era, Porto winning (final against Monaco) was a big surprise.
Eh?

Porto were favourites for that final, and won convincingly 3-0. They beat a great Lyon team 4-2 in the Quarters after Manchester United as well. I'll never forget the semis vs Deportivo where Andrade got a red card for joking with his former teammate from Porto...definitely made a difference there as it was a close tie.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Not even close. Not even the biggest Chelsea upset in a final.

Biggest upset in a final has to be 2004-05 Liverpool over AC Milan. Yes I am LFC fan but I don’t think this is even a hot take
Definitely.

AC Milan with a team full of legends up 3-0 at half time.

It's over.

Cue one of the most amazing comebacks I've ever witnessed.

Reactions: Savant

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Definitely.

AC Milan with a team full of legends up 3-0 at half time.

It's over.

Cue one of the most amazing comebacks I've ever witnessed.
Not only was AC Milan a literal all star team, they were all in their prime (except Pirlo). The Liverpool team was…not as good.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Eh?

Porto were favourites for that final, and won convincingly 3-0. They beat a great Lyon team 4-2 in the Quarters after Manchester United as well. I'll never forget the semis vs Deportivo where Andrade got a red card for joking with his former teammate from Porto...definitely made a difference there as it was a close tie.

I mean it was a bg surprise that either of those teams got into the final in the first place.

Reactions: Evilo and Rob

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Upset? Yes.

Historic? No.

Honestly, some of that is also decided as time goes on. We don't have the ability to see into the future for some of the players who are playing for either team yet. Sure, there's a probability, but, you never know. Some of the Chelsea players are still really young, and could be all timers before they finish, which would change things dramatically. Additionally, I think some of the shine on a historical upset are hurt with the familiarity of both sides. Cheslea has played City, and they're familiar with how things go in those matches. Their head to heads have been much closer, and it's hard to completely sell it as such.

Reactions: robertmac43

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don’t want to belabor it, but we don’t quite know how good some of the young players will be. Heck, even someone like Kante might be seen differently with another couple of seasons under his belt.
But guys like Mount, Werner, Havertz, James and others are only in the infancy (City has a few as well. If Dias is a world beater for a decade, it might look more lopsided).

It’s hard to shade some of these matches today. When you look back, it changes how it goes.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Qualifying begins in late June, here are the clubs involved

PRELIMINARY: HB Torshavn (FAR), Prishtina (KOS) (seeded); Inter Club d'Escaldes (AND), Folgore (unseeded)

FIRST ROUND: Dinamo Zagreb (CRO), Ludogorets (BUL), Malmo (SWE), Cluj (ROU), Legia Warsaw (POL), Sheriff Tiraspol (MDA), Ferencvaros (HUN), Shkendija (MKD), Slovan Bratislava (SVK), Alashkert (ARM), Dinamo Tbilisi (GEO), Zalgiris (LTU), Flora Tallinn (EST), Buducnost Podgorica (MNE), Kairat (KAZ), Lincoln Red Imps (GIB) [seeded]; Riga (LVA), HJK Helsinki (FIN), Linfield (NIR), Fola Esch (LUX), Shakhtyor Soligorsk (BLR), Neftchi Baku (AZE), Maccabi Haifa (ISR), Connah Quay Nomads (WAL), Shamrock Rovers (IRL), Valur (ISL), Bodo/Glimt (NOR), Mura (SVN), Teuta (ALB), *preliminary round winners, Borac Banja Luka (BIH), Flamrun Spartans (MLT) [unseeded]

SECOND ROUND

Champions: Olympiakos (GRE), Young Boys (SUI), Red Star Belgrade (SRB), Omonia Nicosia (CYP)
League: Celtic (SCO), PSV (NED), Sparta Prague (CZE), Galatasaray (TUR), Rapid Wien (AUT), Midtjylland (DEN)

THIRD ROUND
Champions: Slavia Prague (CZE), Rangers (SCO)
League: Benfica (POR), Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR), Monaco (FRA), Genk (BEL), Spartak Moscow (RUS)

PLAYOFF
Champions: Red Bull Salzburg (AUT), Brondby (DEN)

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Not only was AC Milan a literal all star team, they were all in their prime (except Pirlo). The Liverpool team was…not as good.

As a casual fan I’ve heard of like eight of the Milan guys and maybe four of the Liverpool ones lol

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Wanted to post this in here...

UEFA's incompetence enabled the Super League. Now it has to rebuild trust

From the article and further proof that Arsenal should be over secondary nations.

European champions from outside top five leagues:
DecadeTotal
1960s4
1970s3
1980s2
1990s2
2000s1
2010s0
2020s0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Here's a novel thought: How about Arsenal and other clubs from big leagues have to win a CHAMPIONSHIP to be in a CHAMPIONS LEAGUE? Every PL side would crush teams from quite a few smaller nations, so should every non relegated PL club get a CL spot?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad