2021-22 SPHL Season Thread

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Kicking it off with news from the Pensacola Flyers Regional Board of Tourism ...
(SPHL commissioner Doug) Price said the SPHL will start its 2021-22 season on Saturday, Oct. 15. The season will conclude on April 9, 2022. It will be a return to 56 games divided into 28 home and away dates

All the arenas will operate at full capacity. There will be 11 teams competing with the newest addition, the Vermillion County Bobcats in Danville, Illinois, joining to make a six-team North Division. ...

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
And catching up ... from: The Southern Professional Hockey League
Thunderbolts name Bob McNamara as new GM
June 10, 2021

The Evansville Thunderbolts of the Southern Professional Hockey League announced today the hiring of Bob McNamara as the new General Manager. McNamara will head up the business operations of the Thunderbolts as the team looks to hit the ice again at the Ford Center this fall. ...

McNamara brings a wealth of hockey and business knowledge to the Thunderbolts front office after spending the previous 20 plus years running teams at the IHL, AHL, CHL and ECHL levels. He served as the GM of the AHL Grand Rapids Griffins for 15 years, the President of the Hamilton Bulldogs for one season and the President of the Quad City Mallards for 7 seasons. ...

Read more at: Thunderbolts name Bob McNamara as new GM

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Kicking it off with news from the Pensacola Flyers Regional Board of Tourism ...
(SPHL commissioner Doug) Price said the SPHL will start its 2021-22 season on Saturday, Oct. 15. The season will conclude on April 9, 2022. It will be a return to 56 games divided into 28 home and away dates

All the arenas will operate at full capacity. There will be 11 teams competing with the newest addition, the Vermillion County Bobcats in Danville, Illinois, joining to make a six-team North Division. ...
I thought it was weird that the Southern league would have 6 north teams and 5 south teams, so I went to look at the map and realized "north" division is a relative term when it includes Roanoke and either Knoxville or Fayetteville. I'm wondering why they wouldn't go with a 5 team north division of Quad City, Peoria, Evansville, Roanoke and Danville, and put the other 6 teams in a south division? It just looks like a more natural dividing line based on geography.

Unless there really is a "mystery 12th team" on the horizon that is further south than Knoxville and Fayetteville and they are leaving room to add that team to the "South".

Also, how about an "All-Ville" Hockey League with Evansville, Danville, Knoxville, Fayetteville, Greenville, Jacksonville, Belleville and Coralville? If you say it fast it sounds a little like Awful Hockey League, which it probably would be.

Reactions: Atlantian

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... I'm wondering why they wouldn't go with a 5 team north division of Quad City, Peoria, Evansville, Roanoke and Danville, and put the other 6 teams in a south division? It just looks like a more natural dividing line based on geography.

Unless there really is a "mystery 12th team" on the horizon that is further south than Knoxville and Fayetteville and they are leaving room to add that team to the "South". ...
Could've been in anticipation of the 12th team that fell through, but the owners didn't want to start over with division alignments as they worked to finalize the 2021-22 schedule. OR that "horizon" you speak of could be 2022-23.

Referring to the 2021-22 League map below from Elite Prospects, my guess on the 6 "North" teams based on bus routes & rivalries would be: Quad City, Peoria, Vermilion County, Evansville, Knoxville & Roanoke. The first 4 should be a given subset, with Evansville to Knoxville another 5-hour drive & K'ville to Roanoke a further 4-hour drive. Those last two connections could easily support a weekend pair or triplet of games for the "Northwest" teams to tag on a couple of times a year.

sphl_2021-22.png

This all presumes divisions will even mean anything with regard to 11-team SPHL scheduling. Silly Season topic fodder, for sure.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Could've been in anticipation of the 12th team that fell through, but the owners didn't want to start over with division alignments as they worked to finalize the 2021-22 schedule. OR that "horizon" you speak of could be 2022-23.

Referring to the 2021-22 League map below from Elite Prospects, my guess on the 6 "North" teams based on bus routes & rivalries would be: Quad City, Peoria, Vermilion County, Evansville, Knoxville & Roanoke. The first 4 should be a given subset, with Evansville to Knoxville another 5-hour drive & K'ville to Roanoke a further 4-hour drive. Those last two connections could easily support a weekend pair or triplet of games for the "Northwest" teams to tag on a couple of times a year.

sphl_2021-22.png

This all presumes divisions will even mean anything with regard to 11-team SPHL scheduling. Silly Season topic fodder, for sure.
Yeah, I would assume if your division are correct - and the probably are - that Roanoke will still play Fayetteville as often, or more often, than Quad City. Just like the ECHL and the AHL, teams will play their closest neighbors the most, regardless of divisions.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Here's a crazy prediction; Vermillion County will finish higher than Evansville.

Um... on second opinion, I don't think it's that crazy, given we're talking about Evansville.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
SPHL schedule almost published ...
SPHL releases 2021-2022 regular season schedule
July 14, 2021

HUNTERSVILLE, NC (July 14, 2021) – The Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) announced Wednesday that after playing a reduced 42-game schedule with five teams in 2020-2021, the league will drop the puck for its 18th season on Friday, October 15 with 11 teams playing a full 56-game schedule.

The SPHL’s newest team, the Vermillion County Bobcats, headlines Opening Night as they host Peoria as part of a full five-game schedule. In addition, Huntsville opens their doors to in-state rival Birmingham, Knoxville welcomes Macon, Quad City takes on Evansville and Roanoke plays Fayetteville.

On Saturday, October 16, the Pensacola Ice Flyers will raise their fourth President’s Cup championship banner prior to taking on Birmingham.

Friday, October 22 sees three additional teams host their first game of the season as Birmingham welcomes Knoxville, Evansville takes on Quad City and Peoria entertains Macon.

Halloween weekend sees the last two teams open up at home as Macon welcomes Fayetteville on Friday, October 29 while the Marksmen return the favor on Saturday, October 30 as they host the Mayhem.
The complete schedule will be posted on the SPHL’s website (www.thesphl.com).

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I see this year there are definitely less long distance road trips, likely to save money to get back to normal next season. Looking at Peoria specifically, they will not host all the southern teams at home while playing QC and VC 15-16 times each.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I see this year there are definitely less long distance road trips, likely to save money to get back to normal next season. Looking at Peoria specifically, they will not host all the southern teams at home while playing QC and VC 15-16 times each.
You must be lookin' at a schedule that I don't have ... :huh:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
S/T to @Atlantian for reminding me that the SPHL leaves all the schedule announcements to the individual teams. I'll include links to individual team 2021-22 schedules in this post & try to keep them updated until all have been fully released for the first time. Schedule changes thereafter will be left to your imagination and/or initiative ...

Last edited:

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I figured each team (in a normal year) would play each other team at least once or one weekend but it looks like Peoria will not play Birmingham, Fayetteville, or Pensacola, and Quad City will not play Macon and Roanoke.

Reactions: hurricanesfan123

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I figured each team (in a normal year) would play each other team at least once or one weekend but it looks like Peoria will not play Birmingham, Fayetteville, or Pensacola, and Quad City will not play Macon and Roanoke.
I'm not sure that's ever been true in the 8 years I've been following the SPHL. :huh:

ETA: But that was also the season (2013-14) that Peoria & Bloomington were added. THAT'S what upset the puck cart.

Last edited:

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Here's Pensacola's.

A little bummed, when the team announced the home schedule a few weeks ago, both 12/3 and 12/4 were listed as home games. My wife daughter and I are taking a trip back to Pensacola that weekend and were planning on the Saturday game. We can't make it on Friday so gonna be the first time I go back-to-back seasons without going to a game.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Vermillion County is going to have team tryouts in August at the Indy Fuel Tank.

I'm legitimately thinking about checking out the team this season. They may be a one year wonder, for all I know, but I think it's at least worth a shot to broaden my hockey horizons finally.

Reactions: Roadhog

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Vermillion County is going to have team tryouts in August at the Indy Fuel Tank.

I'm legitimately thinking about checking out the team this season. They may be a one year wonder, for all I know, but I think it's at least worth a shot to broaden my hockey horizons finally.
I thought for sure you were gonna say: "I'm legitimately thinking about ... signing up to try out for the team." :cheer:

The Bobcats will have a good shot at competing with Evansville for last place in the SPHL in 2021-22. Nonetheless, a visit to David S. Palmer Arena in Danville for a game will make you appreciate Indiana Farmers Coliseum even more. Happy road tripping! :5:

ETA: VC published their full season schedule with opponents on Friday (see link in this post above). So you can now pick & choose your visit options based on dates AND visiting teams.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad