Speculation: 2021/22 Non-Call Penaltie Examples - Oiler Edition

Should Ref game management be completely removed?

• Total voters

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
A Guide to Hockey Rules & Penalties | Pure Hockey

After watching McDavid...again...being blatantly tripped with a ref staring right at him in the Red Wings game. I thought it would be a good exercise for any posts of all the non-call penalties during the rest of season.
I would love any ex-ref professionals to confirm to legitimize the non-call.
Plus it's good way to better understand what is a penalty and what is not.

Example of Non-Call:

Penalty: Tripping — Causing an opponent to fall by tripping with stick or body.

Penalty Refernce:A Guide to Hockey Rules & Penalties | Pure Hockey

Minor Penalties
  • High sticking — Making contact with an opposing player above the shoulder with your stick, whether intentionally or inadvertently. If the play results in an injury, the penalty can be increased.
  • Holding — Grabbing a player’s body, sweater, or stick, or preventing them from getting to the puck.
  • Hooking — Using the blade of the stick to hold an opponent and prevent movement.
  • Cross-checking — A hit in which a player uses the stick, held with both hands, to check an opponent.
  • Roughing — Striking an opponent during an altercation that the officials decide is not severe enough to earn a more severe penalty. If a player punches another with gloves on during a skirmish officials will sometimes give a roughing penalty.
  • Tripping — Causing an opponent to fall by tripping with stick or body.

Major Penalties
  • Boarding — Checking, tripping, or pushing an opponent into the side or end boards.
  • Spearing — Striking an opponent with the blade of the stick in a stabbing motion.
  • Slashing — Striking an opponent with the stick; often seen as a chop to the lower body.
  • Charging — A hit in which a player takes multiple strides to gain speed to punish an opposing player, or if a player leaves his or her feet to maximize the impact.
  • Check from behind — A check that impacts an opposing player from behind, preventing the player from preparing for the impact.
  • Check to the head — Any contact above the shoulder that puts the head at risk.
  • Fighting — Many scrums break out around the net or after a whistle, but a fighting major is called when a player drops the gloves and throws blows at another player.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Didn't we have one on Fabri last night that was missed in the 3rd as well?

I'd also add that while it sucks this is happening. I rather have it happening now so our players get use to the non-calls. Something tells me it isn't going to be much different come playoffs.

As well I don't know who was reffing and who were the linesman, but they just seemed slow all night. There were a few times things were so delayed that shouldn't have been.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Didn't we have one on Fabri last night that was missed in the 3rd as well?

I'd also add that while it sucks this is happening. I rather have it happening now so our players get use to the non-calls. Something tells me it isn't going to be much different come playoffs.

As well I don't know who was reffing and who were the linesman, but they just seemed slow all night. There were a few times things were so delayed that shouldn't have been.

I really don't think players (any players) should get used to non-calls. A penalty is a penalty and should called as such. Not calling blatant penalties and not being held accountable allows players to get away with dangerous actions without consequences, and I believe 100% on player safety. Plus I think making the right calls will make sure emotions don't escalate into unnecessary fights and injury (Kassian fight and falling on the ice example)

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Until the OBC in office are changed out - Colin Campbell, Mike Murphy, Stephen Walkom, George Parros, etc etc etc etc and the biggest jackass of them all Gary Bettman and until owners figure out that skill sells, nothing will ever change.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I agree it won't change. Game management and this WWE level of officiating is here to stay.

I'll watch the games but I'd never support this league with any monies towards them in any way other than paying for Sat TV which has some hockey games on it as part of the TV package I get... otherwise I'll just watch on streams and not shovel any money directly at the NHL in any way. Big deal right... I'm just one random Joe Blow... NHL won't miss my pittance of a contribution anyway but I'm not going to throw support in the form of money for paraphernalia etc towards a league that is rigged/managed like that. The product isn't entertaining enough when the players aren't allowed to play the games up to the actual levels of their skillsets.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I agree it won't change. Game management and this WWE level of officiating is here to stay.

I'll watch the games but I'd never support this league with any monies towards them in any way other than paying for Sat TV which has some hockey games on it as part of the TV package I get... otherwise I'll just watch on streams and not shovel any money directly at the NHL in any way. Big deal right... I'm just one random Joe Blow... NHL won't miss my pittance of a contribution anyway but I'm not going to throw support in the form of money for paraphernalia etc towards a league that is rigged/managed like that. The product isn't entertaining enough when the players aren't allowed to play the games up to the actual levels of their skillsets.

giphy.gif

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Until the OBC in office are changed out - Colin Campbell, Mike Murphy, Stephen Walkom, George Parros, etc etc etc etc and the biggest jackass of them all Gary Bettman and until owners figure out that skill sells, nothing will ever change.
The PA isn't exactly helping the cause. It's not just an Oiler issue as a lot of shit goes uncalled throughout the league, but yet they don't ever push the point for change. You'd think the PA would want it's star players to be able to play the game to their maximum potential. Offense sells for the most part, yet in hockey they seem to want to limit it.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The PA isn't exactly helping the cause. It's not just an Oiler issue as a lot of shit goes uncalled throughout the league, but yet they don't ever push the point for change. You'd think the PA would want it's star players to be able to play the game to their maximum potential. Offense sells for the most part, yet in hockey they seem to want to limit it.

4th line plugs are PA members too.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
4th line plugs are PA members too.
What does that really have to do with anything? They don't bring people in the stands and if they lose their jobs due to too many penalties, someone else will take their jobs.

The whole goal of the PA and league should be to increase HRR. The revenue for them to split the larger everyone's pie becomes. Even those 4th liner, if league revenues go up so will the league minimum.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Watch this interference on McDavid that THEY JUST IGNORED. But Connor needs to "Shut Up"

Interference: When a player interferes with or impedes the progress of an opponent who does not have the puck. Also assessed to a player who deliberately knocks the stick out of an opponent’s hand or who prevents a player who has dropped his stick (or any other piece of equipment) from picking it back up.

Ice Hockey Penalties Explained - dummies

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes