Trois-Rivières Lions 2021-22 Lions de Trois-Rivières

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Yea. It sucks that this thing got dragged the way it did. But as MacDonald said in this interview (Part 1 of a 2-parter), that he is still very much interested even if he has to wait another year.

He does say that this could work in his favor because if the Patriotes are alone next year, it'll give the city even more reason to approve of the ECHL team. Because the university team isn't there for a lot of games and they don't draw big crowds.

He also said that having to wait a year may also benefit his project because it'll give them a lot more time to prepare everything.

Reactions: Fixxer

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Was hoping the proximity of the Habs, Rocket and T-R City team for player's movement.

I'm convinced it'll happen. I can't say it with 100% certainty. But even if it's for the 2021-22 season, I have a hunch the city will approve it.

Two weeks ago when the Canadiens sent a letter to the city that was made available to the public, you heard council members talk about how they need to explore this further and see the benefits of having both the university and ECHL teams in that building.

Reactions: Fixxer

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I haven't really followed this story, but wouldn't an ECHL team in TR have a major advantage because it could recruit undrafted overagers from the Q who can't or won't go to Europe or the US?

Can ECHL teams sign whoever they want like soccer teams?
I can't answer the 2nd question. I liked where someone said that it might help to get guys from the UQTR to have a look at pro hockey. Overagers from the Q could benefit from that too, as you said.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I'm convinced it'll happen. I can't say it with 100% certainty. But even if it's for the 2021-22 season, I have a hunch the city will approve it.

Two weeks ago when the Canadiens sent a letter to the city that was made available to the public, you heard council members talk about how they need to explore this further and see the benefits of having both the university and ECHL teams in that building.
When the Habs write to your town council, you do listen to what they gotta say!!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
When the Habs write to your town council, you do listen to what they gotta say!!

Definitely. And in that letter (it was sent by John Sedgwick, who is VP Hockey Ops and Legal Affairs), he mentioned a letter he sent to the city back in November pretty much confirming the Habs' interest.

You wonder why the city delayed everything when the Habs sent them a letter in November (that one wasn't made public, but it was the same message).

The mayor said that he spoke with another VP of the Habs organization who had said that the Habs do not have a relationship with MacDonald. And as soon as she said that, the mayor had what he needed to prioritize the Patriotes, which is who he really wants in the new arena.

However, the person who said that is a VP but in a department that has nothing to do with Hockey Ops. So either she had no business talking about this or she didn't know enough of it to make such a statement.

So all of that made for a big mix-up. From the city's POV, they're getting contradictory messages from the parties involved. So in a sense I don't blame them for being hesitant. But I do think the mayor in particular dragged this thing out for so long because as soon as he took over as mayor, he showed little interest in the ECHL.

The good thing is it's not up to only him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I haven't really followed this story, but wouldn't an ECHL team in TR have a major advantage because it could recruit undrafted overagers from the Q who can't or won't go to Europe or the US?

Can ECHL teams sign whoever they want like soccer teams?

yes, it's just like the AHL, they can sign any players they went they just have to be 18 by Sept 15th I believe (I'll have to look up that date as I forget if they also use the NHL draft date or not).

I think so too even though I haven't really followed it that closely. It sounds like an error was made when they contacted that women that works for the Habs, due to her not being involved I take it, but once the Habs contacted them clearly stating they want this, I felt like it would happen since it just seems to make a ton of sense.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Definitely. And in that letter (it was sent by John Sedgwick, who is VP Hockey Ops and Legal Affairs), he mentioned a letter he sent to the city back in November pretty much confirming the Habs' interest.

You wonder why the city delayed everything when the Habs sent them a letter in November (that one wasn't made public, but it was the same message).

The mayor said that he spoke with another VP of the Habs organization who had said that the Habs do not have a relationship with MacDonald. And as soon as she said that, the mayor had what he needed to prioritize the Patriotes, which is who he really wants in the new arena.

However, the person who said that is a VP but in a department that has nothing to do with Hockey Ops. So either she had no business talking about this or she didn't know enough of it to make such a statement.

So all of that made for a big mix-up. From the city's POV, they're getting contradictory messages from the parties involved. So in a sense I don't blame them for being hesitant. But I do think the mayor in particular dragged this thing out for so long because as soon as he took over as mayor, he showed little interest in the ECHL.

The good thing is it's not up to only him.
So, I understand that the Patriotes are the UQTR's team. The mayor might want to go for the simpler choice, which would be to get the Patriotes in the building. The chance to be united with the Habs comes once in a lifetime, but he maybe wants to make sure he wouldn't get ripped off before accepting straight up based on the fact that it's the Canadiens.
Also, I wonder how the average crowd differs between the 2 leagues??
I assumed the rink was part of the University, which I don't know as I visited one University once.
Still would be cool to have such a close ECHL-AHL-NHL association. Might really help Bouchard's Rocket to begin with. So, time will tell, a few seasons from now.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

The meeting between MacDonald and the city is tomorrow. However, no one from the Canadiens will attend.

They sent a letter out explaining their position. They say that they want to give the mayor and the council the chance to properly assess the proposal. Surely feeling like if they were present, it could affect their judgment.

They say that on the 19th of December, when France Margaret Bélanger spoke on TR radio, she said that the Habs had no association with MacDonald. The Habs reiterate that they don't have a formal agreement with MacDonald. There is no contract signed and so for now, the Habs will play the role of observer.

They also mention they are still interested in basing their ECHL team in TR, as mentioned in Sedgwick's letter, noting that the geographical proximity is very advantageous to the Canadiens.

So while the Habs and MacDonald are both interested in working together for this project, they don't have a formal agreement in place. And that is why at the moment, the Canadiens won't get involved.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The meeting between MacDonald's team and the city took place earlier today. It apparently well real well and comments from some council members after the meeting shows their satisfaction with the presentation.

Colisée de Trois-Rivières: la cohabitation, la troisième option...

One in particular, Valérie Renaud-Martin, said that she found that MacDonald's team were serious and passionate about this project and it fills her with confidence to know that. She said that co-habitation is a strong possibility, but she feels that the ECHL has to absolutely be a part of this.

Another member, Francois Bélisle, said that he has no issue with the Canadiens not taking part in this meeting because they are not the promoters of the project, they're affiliates. And he'd rather hear from the guys who will actually run this project. He also said he was satisfied with the presentation. It was honest, realistic, precise, and wasn't unnecessarily fancy.

Another council member, Denis Roy, said that now they know how serious both promoters (Patriotes & ECHL) are and both deserve for the city to properly evaluate both proposals. There are still more details to iron out with both projects in order for the city officials to finalize their analysis, especially if there is to be a co-habitation.

ECHL au colisée: des retombées annuelles de 10 M$ [VIDÉO]

Some details that came out of the meeting:

- The cost to run the team will be about $4-million. But the estimated return for the city would be about $10-million. Not to mention a lot of jobs will be created for the region.

- M-A Bergeron, who will run the team, said that even if he removed himself from his role, as a TR native, he is thrilled with what this project offers to the city.

- He also said what Dean MacDonald said the other day, if the Canadiens were not going to affiliate themselves with the ECHL team in TR, they would not be there trying to accomplish this.

- There is no official contract between this ECHL project and the Canadiens, but this wouldn't be happening if they didn't know there would be one. MacDonald said those details will be easily finalized, but that they need to make sure this project is accepted by the city first. Because if it isn't accepted, then there is nothing to negotiate with the Canadiens.

- MacDonald mentioned that Glenn Stanford, who is also part of this project, has operated two AHL franchises affiliated with the Canadiens. He is very well known.

- He said that the Canadiens have currently 8 players under contract playing in the ECHL (more like 4 now, but had 7 at one point) and that the Habs would like to have them all in one place.

- Later in the day, MacDonald and Bergeron met with a few higher ranking officials to discuss some more technical and financial details.

- Bergeron reiterated that since the start, they are open to co-habitation. They've had a positive attitude throughout this process and will continue to have one. They want to assure everyone that they will be good and cooperative citizens. For what it's worth, the man who made the proposal to the city for the Patriotes has also said they are willing to co-habitate.

- They have until Friday to submit their full and official business plan to the city in order for them to properly analyze everything. There is no timetable for the city to make their decision.

- The ECHL team would be ready to begin in the 2021-22 season.

Reactions: Treb and montreal

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
So what? There's the second floor. It counts too.

One of the rink has 300 seats total. The other has 800 seats total. This is not viable for a pro hockey club. There is no chance the ECHL would accept a Brossard team.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
One of the rink has 300 seats total. The other has 800 seats total. This is not viable for a pro hockey club. There is no chance the ECHL would accept a Brossard team.
What's the average capacity? (ECHL rinks)

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
What's the average capacity? (ECHL rinks)

5000+

Lowest average attendance this year was the Wheeling Nailers at 2110 (capacity 5406) and the highest was the Fort Wayne Komets at 8134 (capacity 13000).
ECHL 2019-20 team attendance at hockeydb.com

Pretty similar to AHL which had attendances between 2761 (Stockton Heat) and 8829 (Cleveland Monsters).

So yeah, you need at least a 4000 seats arena for the ECHL.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Has nobody else noticed that the Verdun arena was redone? And at like $40 million dollars, including new and high end gym and training facilities

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
It's a bit small with 4k seats, but maybe it could work.

I've been trying to figure out what they have planned... Didn't they increase the seats too? That's a lot of money to spend on an arena with no plan to make the cash back!

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
This allows the Habs to offer more AHL contracts to guys from the QMJHL that may be the next DD or not. Free shots with crappy darts on the board.

I think it would also, at the very least, signal a more concerted effort to identify, obtain and develop more Quebecois players. Didn't Marc mention something about this when he was hired almost 8 years ago? Good to see him following through... :sarcasm:

Seriously though, every year one or two FA's come out of the Q and do extremely well in pro, I wouldn't mind us being on the right side of that once in a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->