Trois-Rivières Lions 2021-22 Lions de Trois-Rivières

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
City only, TR 128 sq mi. Burlington 15 sq. mi. To me that's considerably bigger. But what ever, not important.
I was referring to population. TR is the better choise anyway because they'll have a brand new arena.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Having both farm teams close by would be the perfect situation for the organization. They should be pushing for it big time .

100% agreed. TR is about 1:30-1:45 by car. Having all three teams within 2 hours of each other would be great.

They'd also avoid situations like the McNiven one, where despite being one of the best goalies in the ECHL, he becomes the third wheel because the team he's assigned to prefers their own players ahead of him (which I don't blame them for).

So instead of scrambling to find him a new team to assign him to, you're left with peace of mind because he plays for your own affiliate.

They'd be able to sign some players to AHL/ECHL contracts from Quebec to add a local flavor. And for me personally, having some friends that live in TR, I'd be someone who would make the trip there to catch some games.

Last edited:
Reactions: dralaf and Agalloch

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
they really need to get this as it's not good to have the situation like you have with McNiven, get your own team and that way you call the shots on who plays and how much.

wildD

Jul 25, 2015
Last Friday night before laval game on the radio the announcer of 91.9 sport said on the radio that Trois-Rivieres will be getting a ECHL team next year.

Reactions: Newfoundland

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

In the article, Steve Turcotte, who has been the reporter keeping us informed on the matter, says that Paul Wilson confirmed the Habs have been collaborating with MacDonald (the one trying to bring an ECHL affiliate with the Habs to Trois-Rivières).

So far, the Habs have never confirmed their interest until now. They also want to follow the same model as the Leafs with the Growlers, using a 3-tiered developmental system. They'd also be the ones hiring the hockey staff like coaches and front office.

MacDonald is the one who brought the ECHL team to St. John's and affiliated them with the Leafs. He's trying to repeat it with the Habs this time. Also worth noting that when he brought the team to Newfoundland, the Habs were in talks about being the affiliate of the Growlers before they pulled back and the Leafs jumped in.

The concerning part here is that the city and its mayor have yet to respond to MacDonald after he laid out his plan for an ECHL team there. And MacDonald needs to let the ECHL know by mid-December what is going on in order for the team to be ready for next season.

Another tidbit is that since construction on the arena started and MacDonald approached them for the ECHL, the city has changed mayors, and the new one may not be as welcoming of an ECHL team. His preference is a QMJHL team. But that does not look like it will happen any time soon. Q's commissioner said they have no plans for expansion and none for relocation. So that option doesn't seem realistic for Trois-Rivières right now. Not to mention there are teams in neighboring cities that have veto power because TR would step into part of their territory.

They also have their university hockey team. But MacDonald has said that he's ready to work with them on sharing the arena. He doesn't want it to be exclusive to the ECHL team.

I really hope we get answers in the next few days as the city is poised to vote on the matter any day now.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It looks like Trois-Rivières does not want an ECHL team. And they have apparently confirmed it with MacDonald.

Trois-Rivières dit non à une équipe de la ECHL au Colisée

Marc-André Bergeron was also relieved of his duties. He was appointed by the previous administration to find them a tenant for the new arena. We know very well he successfully did that with MacDonald and the Habs.

Unfortunately, there was a mayoral change in the middle of all this and the new mayor was never warm to the idea of the ECHL in TR. Today, he confirmed it.

This one upsets me.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I hope the mayor gets overturned. Why the f*** would you spit on free money for the city? People barely knew what the AHL was before the Rocket and it is very successful.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I hope the mayor gets overturned. Why the **** would you spit on free money for the city? People barely knew what the AHL was before the Rocket and it is very successful.

Same here. I really hope the council overturns him.

It boggles my mind that he's so against it. I understand that his aim is to have a QMJHL team. But that won't happen any time soon.

And even then, according to the report in Le Nouvelliste, Dean MacDonald is even willing to work with a potential junior team regarding the arena.

The Habs are even willing to have their training camp there and play preseason games there, too. That alone will help the city.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Colisée: le promoteur d'une équipe de la ECHL se dit inquiet que son projet soit écarté par le maire

Some comments from the council in this article. Some of them feel like they haven't gotten all the details on the matter and would like to get more info. Another one said he wants it all in writing because right now it's the word of one against the word of another.

Some of them said that they believe they haven't been given the full proposal, which leads me to believe the mayor may be keeping some details from the council. One mentioned that if there is a project that involves the Canadiens, we have to look into it until the end.

MacDonald reiterated his intention to meet with the council, the mayor, and anyone else who needs to be part of the meeting. He is open to sharing with the University team. He said he's ready to take the plane right now if it's what they need him to.

This isn't over just yet.

Reactions: dralaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad