Trois-Rivières Lions 2021-22 Lions de Trois-Rivières

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
It's the ECHL. QMJHL stars are usually good ECHLer. Perfect opportunity to grab as many as we can to avoid missing the next Myers or Marchessault. There's gonna be enough spots for ECHL vets and some UDFA from WHL/OHL too.

But why the Q and not the ohl, whl, ncaa, euro leagues. Why favour Q players over any others?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
But why the Q and not the ohl, whl, ncaa, euro leagues. Why favour Q players over any others?

Euros won't sign ECHL deals (and the majority won't sign AHL deals either).

99% of ECHLer won't make the NHL. The good UDFA will play in the AHL.

Having lots of Q players in TR:
Makes the team more relatable to the city (less chance of it failing)
Provides potential Q players for Laval (again good for PR)
Shuts up the purists.
Allows us to scout our backyard more so we miss less there.

As I also said, there's too much roster space to fill only with Q stars, so you will get O/W/NCAA guys too.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Euros won't sign ECHL deals (and the majority won't sign AHL deals either).

99% of ECHLer won't make the NHL. The good UDFA will play in the AHL.

Having lots of Q players in TR:
Makes the team more relatable to the city (less chance of it failing)
Provides potential Q players for Laval (again good for PR)
Shuts up the purists.
Allows us to scout our backyard more so we miss less there.

As I also said, there's too much roster space to fill only with Q stars, so you will get O/W/NCAA guys too.

So your answer is giving spots to Quebecois over more deserving players because of PR. Got it. Nothing else to talk about.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
So your answer is giving spots to Quebecois over more deserving players because of PR. Got it. Nothing else to talk about.

Probably shouldn't have a team if the market viability depends more on playing Quebecois players than the quality of the play.

ECHL needs to be viable to exist. Having a ECHL in TR is a big advantage for our AHL team due to proximity. Promoting homegrown talent is great.

This is the f***ing ECHL not AHL/NHL. It's basically a feeder for the AHL to counteract injuries/call-up. The top UDFA are not gonna sign to play in the ECHL. Having the Laval/TR combo makes us a lot more attractive to the QC minor leaguers that could sign elsewhere and we should take advantage of it.

Americans and Canadians west of Gatineau are not looking toward playing in Trois-Rivières.

I have no idea why you are so against promoting local talent for an ECHL team...

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
ECHL needs to be viable to exist. Having a ECHL in TR is a big advantage for our AHL team due to proximity. Promoting homegrown talent is great.

This is the ****ing ECHL not AHL/NHL. It's basically a feeder for the AHL to counteract injuries/call-up. The top UDFA are not gonna sign to play in the ECHL. Having the Laval/TR combo makes us a lot more attractive to the QC minor leaguers that could sign elsewhere and we should take advantage of it.

Americans and Canadians west of Gatineau are not looking toward playing in Trois-Rivières.

I have no idea why you are so against promoting local talent for an ECHL team...

You don't understand why I prefer filling slots with whichever player deserves it over whichever player is Quebecois? Like I said, not much to debate here.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
You don't understand why I prefer filling slots with whichever player deserves it over whichever player is Quebecois? Like I said, not much to debate here.

I see why you would prefer it, I just don't see it as a viable option. An ECHL team full of non-QC will fold in Trois-Rivieres. Do you want a team with homegrown/other nobody close to the AHL/NHL team or do you want a team of nobody far from the AHL/NHL team? At the ECHL level, you can have a team that is both homegrown heavy and competitive.

You will still get some of the top O/W/NCAA we can attract to the ECHL. It's just a billion time easier getting homegrown guys to fill the roster when you have teams in QC.

I'd agree with you if we were talking about the AHL, but this is the ECHL. You're gonna get the guys that were not able to get an AHL deal elsewhere. 99% of them are not gonna make the NHL. Most of them won't even make it to the AHL for a significant amount of time.

Reactions: Vachon23

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ

Are you seriously complaining about the makeup of a 'potential' ECHL franchise? Also, the goal of professional sports, on every level, is to make money. Filling the roster with more 'local' players will benefit the bottom line.

Reactions: dralaf

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Getting a ECHL team is an obligation. Near Montreal that'll do it. If it's in the USA, I recommend Vermont. It's a Habs city full of passionate hockey fans.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Getting a ECHL team is an obligation. Near Montreal that'll do it. If it's in the USA, I recommend Vermont. It's a Habs city full of passionate hockey fans.
Vermont is a state, not a city. Burlington is barely bigger than Trois-Rivieres and the 4k place arena is already used by the NCAA men and women teams. Not sure it would be viable to compete vs NCAA.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Vermont is a state, not a city. Burlington is barely bigger than Trois-Rivieres and the 4k place arena is already used by the NCAA men and women teams. Not sure it would be viable to compete vs NCAA.
Sorry but Trois-Rivières is more than twice the size of Burlington. Make that 10 times.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Wrong Burlington.
ooops .......

images

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Probably shouldn't have a team if the market viability depends more on playing Quebecois players than the quality of the play.

I dunno, if the Leafs had a local ECHL team here, don’t think anyone would care if 80% of their roster are made up of guys from the York and Peel regions, Mississauga and so on. Ultimately, these are still independent businesses and have to make money.

Before we poo poo on the idea of more local talent on a Quebec ECHL team, have you looked at the Brampton Beast roster? Most of them are from Ontario. There’s one Quebecer, a couple Americans and the rest Ontarians.

Top prospects from the Q, OHL, WHL and United States aren’t playing in the ECHL anyways, so it’s not like we (Habs) are missing out too much. I’d be fine stocking with locals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad