Trois-Rivières Lions 2021-22 Lions de Trois-Rivières

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal

Sounds like my list that I posted above has inspired Bergeron. Though 400 names is a lot more work than I was willing to do :laugh:

Like I suspected, the team will be made up of a lot of Quebecers.

Interesting to note that the team should start signing players around July 9 (from the article)

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
For those who didn't see, Félix Potvin left his role with the Cantonniers in Magog. It could be to coach the ECHL team. We'll see.

Potvin et les Cantonniers : une fin bientôt?

Potvin is an ex NHL player, but would they really bypass a bunch of QMJHL, USPORTS, Europe, ECHL and AHL coaches that could potentially land in Trois-Rivières for a Midget AAA coach? Nothing against Potvin, just wondering

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2021-4-14_19-5-0.png

Reactions: dinodebino and 1909

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
It looks like Cédric Desruisseaux has signed in USports. I respect his decision, of course, school is important. But it seems like the best scorer in the Q could have easily signed an AHL/ECHL deal, especially with his hometown team that literally is starting from scratch and needs to fill 20 spots

Anyway, perhaps USports is just a backup plan! I would love to get him signed to Laval/Trois-Rivières

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It looks like Cédric Desruisseaux has signed in USports. I respect his decision, of course, school is important. But it seems like the best scorer in the Q could have easily signed an AHL/ECHL deal, especially with his hometown team that literally is starting from scratch and needs to fill 20 spots

Anyway, perhaps USports is just a backup plan! I would love to get him signed to Laval/Trois-Rivières
I would imagine he was at the very least contacted about it. The ECHL might not be the most glamorous thing out there but it's ok money for a 20 year old. That said, he might not be looking at being a pro short term.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I would imagine he was at the very least contacted about it. The ECHL might not be the most glamorous thing out there but it's ok money for a 20 year old. That said, he might not be looking at being a pro short term.

It's okay to go to school, but one would think he would ride the wave so to speak of being the top QMJHL scorer and get a sweet AHL deal that like you said, pays well for a 20 years old

Looking at capfriendly, Jake Lucchini is getting 85k minors salary, Brandon Baddock 110k, Khisamutdinov 70k, McNiven 75k, etc. I know they are contracted to the NHL parent club but I see no reason why an AHL deal couldn't be near 60-70k. That's way more money than any job you'd get at 20 years old and is likely more than he will make after getting a degree anyway.

It just feels like it would be worth it to try your luck for 2-3 years, save some money and go back to school if you fail. It's a very decent salary and with the upside that you may even make the NHL.

Plus, if you get established as a solid AHLer, you'll make more money than 99% of day jobs. I mean, Gustav Olofsson's minors salary is 250k. Think about that for a second. Some of these guys are getting rich from being #4 AHL dmen.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Well Trois-Rivières now missed out on the 2 local talents coming out of the Q. Shawn Element signs with Tampa's farm team. A bit dissapointing, to say the least. (the other is Cedric Desruisseaux going to USports)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
2 former Laval players from last season ended up the top 2 in points in the ECHL this year. Anthony Beauregard and Aaron Luchuk, might be a good idea to try and sign them for Laval and then if not they can go to 3R and help with the offense. McCarron's older brother was 4th in the league in points, we had him for a few games back with the IceCaps. Might be of interest as well.

Reactions: NA Scouting

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
2 former Laval players from last season ended up the top 2 in points in the ECHL this year. Anthony Beauregard and Aaron Luchuk, might be a good idea to try and sign them for Laval and then if not they can go to 3R and help with the offense. McCarron's older brother was 4th in the league in points, we had him for a few games back with the IceCaps. Might be of interest as well.
I had completely forgotten about that ! He wasn't with St. John's for long though , must have been 5-ish games, something like that.

Reactions: montreal

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Jean Huyhn spent the last two years as equipment manager for the Sherbrooke Phoenix ( total experience 3 years QMJHL, 4 years women Usport).

Kyle Sutton has 3 years of experience as athletic trainer for Shawinigan. Also went to the WJC-18 and WJC-20 once each for team Canada.

They seem to be sticking to what MAB said about giving junior guys a chance.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Jean Huyhn spent the last two years as equipment manager for the Sherbrooke Phoenix ( total experience 3 years QMJHL, 4 years women Usport).

Kyle Sutton has 3 years of experience as athletic trainer for Shawinigan. Also went to the WJC-18 and WJC-20 once each for team Canada.

They seem to be sticking to what MAB said about giving junior guys a chance.
That's good, that was a big part of the original idea when they said they wanted to bring the farm system in the province. Ditto for the Rocket really. Farming talent on the managing/coaching side of things for the big team should 100% be an objective.

Last edited:

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Eric Bélanger is a candidate for the HC job

Bergeron and Belly played together in Minnesota in 2008-2009 and Belanger was the coach of the years in Midget AAA last yrs

Bélanger ferait aussi partie des candidats intéressés à diriger la nouvelle franchise de Trois-Rivières dans la East Coast Hockey League. Tout comme Pascal Rhéaume soit dit en passant.
Qui succédera à Félix Potvin?

So we know that Eric Bélanger and Pascal Rhéaume are candidate for the job

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Laval just signed Desruisseaux.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad