Line Combos: 2021-22 lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
why?? He could be better surrounded than the last time. I would give him a second chance at centre. He could build chemistry with Toffoli and Hoffman
I’m on board with Drouin at centre although I’d be more inclined to put Gallagher on his wing instead.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I think the only hard and fast rules in terms of line combinations would be that you would want to have Hoffman and Caufield on separate lines and that initially Suzuki should play with Caufield. Gallagher also deserves a chance to start in the top-6.

My lines would probably be
Toffoli - Suzuki - Caufield
Hoffman - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher
Drouin - Evans - Anderson
Lehkonen - Paquette - Armia

I like that forward arrangement. First line was our best in the playoffs by far. 2nd line maybe Gallagher/Anderson can be swapped as needed, but otherwise it's once again our clear-cut 2nd best line.
3rd line is expensive but it's finally showing some solid depth. No point in gifting Anderson a top 6 spot when he's clearly a 3rd liner - he's overpriced but we all knew that the day he was signed.

Armia/Paquette belong on the 4th, no argument to have them above. Lehk similarly, although I could see him bumped to 3rd line if Drouin is out.

I'm starting to like our offense. Some legit top 6 talents, a borderline elite center in Suzuki, and a bottom 6 made of NHLers.
Defensively is where I'm skeptical. Since MB took over, the D fell off a cliff and since then we've been running circles. I for one am looking to finally have some non-band-aid solutions coming in internally

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Drouin Suzuki Caufield- Drouin is still our best play maker. He would rack up the assists with these two. We have lots of goal scorers on this team now and he still averaged roughly .5apg last season. I wanna see this line so bad.

Hoffman KK Toffoli - these wingers are going to score. I think KK is very respectable defensively. You tell him to be a defensive beast and he will chip in scoring with these two as well. you can shelter this line a bit because of the third line.

Anderson Evans Gallagher- I think this line would be high scoring in comparison with how good it could be defensively. Would be a tough tough line to play against.

Lehkonen paquette/Poehling/perrault and Armia. This is a very deep fourth line.

side notes- I see a lot of Anderson playing with caufield and Suzuki mentions on here. I don’t think he should get anywhere near these two. He can’t pass the puck to save his life. I love him but he doesn’t fit with these two. He belongs with some hard working guys.

Reactions: _habsfan9

Deebs

Let's swim to the moon
Feb 5, 2014
I’m on board with Drouin at centre although I’d be more inclined to put Gallagher on his wing instead.
If Drouin is at Center, which he should never be, he would have to be insulated by two excellent defensive wingers thus eliminating any offensive production he may bring.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I think the only hard and fast rules in terms of line combinations would be that you would want to have Hoffman and Caufield on separate lines and that initially Suzuki should play with Caufield. Gallagher also deserves a chance to start in the top-6.

My lines would probably be
Drouin - Evans - Anderson
This is not bad and well balanced, considering the current roster. It means, however, that we're not using our potentially best defensive center in a matchup role.

Also, there's the question of Perreault. Based on my observations, as well as reports from the Jets fans, he's not only an everyday player, but a good one at that. Seems like either Drouin or Lehkonen is on his way out.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
This is not bad and well balanced, considering the current roster. It means, however, that we're not using our potentially best defensive center in a matchup role.

Also, there's the question of Perreault. Based on my observations, as well as reports from the Jets fans, he's not only an everyday player, but a good one at that. Seems like either Drouin or Lehkonen is on his way out.

I don't think we should play the matchup game to heavily. We have the depth where we should be able to dictate the pace of the game. No line is really exploitable defensively so oppositions will have to match power to power which plays well with our depth.

As for Perreault, who knows. Let training camp decide who between Lehkonen, Byron, Perreault, Paquette earn the regular spot. In the end they'll still play a bunch because injuries are bound to occur.

I like that forward arrangement. First line was our best in the playoffs by far. 2nd line maybe Gallagher/Anderson can be swapped as needed, but otherwise it's once again our clear-cut 2nd best line.
3rd line is expensive but it's finally showing some solid depth. No point in gifting Anderson a top 6 spot when he's clearly a 3rd liner - he's overpriced but we all knew that the day he was signed.

Armia/Paquette belong on the 4th, no argument to have them above. Lehk similarly, although I could see him bumped to 3rd line if Drouin is out.

I'm starting to like our offense. Some legit top 6 talents, a borderline elite center in Suzuki, and a bottom 6 made of NHLers.
Defensively is where I'm skeptical. Since MB took over, the D fell off a cliff and since then we've been running circles. I for one am looking to finally have some non-band-aid solutions coming in internally

Anderson's offence is fairly individualistic. He generates chances using his speed on the rush which fits Evans better the Kotkaniemi. And I think Hoffman will benefit a lot from having Gallagher since KK and Gally can cycle/dig out the puck and Hoffman can get lost somewhere in the slot waiting for a shot.

Obviously as training camp/season go along things can be adjusted, but that's how I would start the season.

Reactions: abo9

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Imagine drouin having a break down last year and then give him the pressure of being a centre, which he is not as comfortable.
Seems like a bad way to destroy his self esteem even more...
As soon as another team comes up with enough assets to satisfy MB I think his time is up here.

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
I hope MB is gonna try to get Christian Dvorak. He'd be a good fit as our 2nd Centreman. Maybe Drouin + pick/prospect could land him.

Anderson - Suzuki - Caufield
Hoffman - Dvorak - Toffoli
Armia - KK - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Poehling - Evans
Paquette

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Jul 6, 2016
Yikes expensive 3rd line, evans does help offset its cost some

We have to expect that. Any combinations would account for the same. But Caufield, Suzuki KK are still pretty cheap. So.... Other teams have exactly the same "problem".

Jul 6, 2016
I hope MB is gonna try to get Christian Dvorak. He'd be a good fit as our 2nd Centreman. Maybe Drouin + pick/prospect could land him.

Anderson - Suzuki - Caufield
Hoffman - Dvorak - Toffoli
Armia - KK - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Poehling - Evans
Paquette

Perreault gonna play. Poehling might not be NHL ready for many reasons. Dvorak is a #2-#3 centerman who played all his career so far in a non-hockey crazy area. Curious to see how he's gonna react in the MTL environment.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Never going to happen but love to see that 3rd line play.

Hoffman - Suzuki - Caufield (True scoring line)
Toffoli - KK - Gallagher (Well rounded line)
Armia - Evans - Anderson (Huge grinding line)
Paquette - Drouin - Perreault (French line)

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
Perreault gonna play. Poehling might not be NHL ready for many reasons. Dvorak is a #2-#3 centerman who played all his career so far in a non-hockey crazy area. Curious to see how he's gonna react in the MTL environment.
Forgot about him.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Honestly I'd like for us to go grab Kerfoot cheap. He is bad at faceoffs but he can put up 35-40 points and can PK.

Play him with Gallagher to help with faceoffs we could role.

Drouin - Suzuki - Caufield
Hoffman - KK - Toffoli
Anderson - Kerfoot - Gallagher
Paquette - Evans - Armia

Reasoning:

I want to see that first line tried, Drouin is our best passer Suzuki and Caufield can both shoot and pass, could put up a ton of points.

2nd line is fairly balanced and can fill the net.

3rd line is good defensively and Gallagher can take draws on his strong side to help Kerfoot.

4th line, the reason I have Paquette over all the other options is because he can be the Centre on a PK unit and before the last year where he barely took any faceoffs was at almost 52% over his last ~1400 faceoffs. Something we need.

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
If Drouin does indeed return and the Habs take a chance on Kotkaniemi's and Evans' progression to share middle-6 C duties (with the risk of having to deal from a weak position during the season to acquire a stop-gap) :

Drouin - Suzuki - Caulfield
Toffoli - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher
Hoffman - Evans - Anderson
Lekhonen/Byron - Paquette/Perreault - Armia

Edmunson - Petry
Romanov - Savard
Chiarot - Wideman
Kulak

Price
Allen

PP1 :
Hoffman - Suzuki - Caulfield - Drouin - Petry
PP2 : Toffoli - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher - Romanov - Wideman

PK1 :
Paquette - Armia - Chiarot - Savard
PK2 : Evans - Lekhonen - Edmunson - Petry

Cap space : around 3,7M if we exclude Weber's salary, include Byron's full 3,4M and re-sign Kotkaniemi to a bridge deal under 2M AAV.

Under the assumption that Montreal uses their depth of wings (Drouin, or more realisticly Lekhonen) ; prospect pool (Poehling, Harris, ie) and draft picks to acquire disgruntled RFAs who filed for arbitration with their teams (Andrew Copp in Winnipeg and Vince Dunn in Seattle) :

* Lekhonen Dealt / Drouin Staying:

Drouin - Suzuki - Caulfield

Toffoli - Kotkaniemi (>2M AAV) - Gallagher
Hoffman -
Copp (4,5M AAV) - Anderson
Paquette/Byron - Evans/Perreault - Armia

* Drouin Dealt / Lekhonen Staying:

Toffoli - Suzuki - Caulfield

Hoffman - Kotkaniemi
(>2M AAV) - Gallagher
Lekhonen/Perreault -
Copp (4,5M AAV) - Anderson
Perreaul/Lekhonen/Paquette/Byron - Evans - Armia

Edmunson - Petry

Chiarot - Dunn (3,5M AAV)
Romanov - Savard
Kulak - Wideman

Price
Allen

PP1 :
Toffoli - Suzuki - Caulfield - Hoffman - Petry
PP2 : Perreault - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher - Romanov - Dunn

PK1 :
Copp- Armia - Chiarot - Savard
PK2 : Paquette/Byron - Evans - Edmunson - Petry

Cap space (Lekhonen Dealt) : around 0,8M if we exclude Weber's salary, include Byron's full 3,4M ; re-sign Kotkaniemi to a bridge deal under 2M AAV and sign Copp and Dunn for a combined amount of 8M AAV.

Cap space (Drouin Dealt) : around 3M if we exclude Weber's salary, include Byron's full 3,4M ; re-sign Kotkaniemi to a bridge deal under 2M AAV and sign Copp and Dunn for a combined amount of 8M AAV.

Reactions: ericd

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Drouin is getting back from what is generally accepted as mental health related issues (speculation of course) and people are talking about putting him back to C? Seriously? Trying to mess with his head again?

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Honestly I'd like for us to go grab Kerfoot cheap. He is bad at faceoffs but he can put up 35-40 points and can PK.

Play him with Gallagher to help with faceoffs we could role.

Drouin - Suzuki - Caufield
Hoffman - KK - Toffoli
Anderson - Kerfoot - Gallagher
Paquette - Evans - Armia

Reasoning:

I want to see that first line tried, Drouin is our best passer Suzuki and Caufield can both shoot and pass, could put up a ton of points.

2nd line is fairly balanced and can fill the net.

3rd line is good defensively and Gallagher can take draws on his strong side to help Kerfoot.

4th line, the reason I have Paquette over all the other options is because he can be the Centre on a PK unit and before the last year where he barely took any faceoffs was at almost 52% over his last ~1400 faceoffs. Something we need.
Another C who's bad at facefoffs. Do you imagine how many goals we'll get scroed off shots from the point after losing a faceoff? We need a 3C that can put up around 35-40 points as much as we need a C who can win faceoffs.

ericd

Feb 20, 2007
Toffoli - Suzuki - Gallagher
Anderson - Drouin - Caufield
Hoffman - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Poehling - Evans - Lehkonen

Chiarot - Petry
Edmundson - Savard
Kulak - Romanov

Price - Allen

PP1
Toffoli - Suzuki - Gallagher
Hoffman - Petry

PP2
Anderson - Drouin - Caufield
Kotkaniemi - Romanov

PK1
Evans - Armia
Chiarot - Savard

PK2
Poehling - Lehkonen
Edmundson - Romanov

Last edited:

Habz4

Oct 1, 2013
CC Suzuki Anderson
Toffoli KK Hoffman
Lehkonen Evans Armia
Drouin Paquette Perrault cause why not

Use Gallagher to upgrade the D

Cold Coffee

Elite/Franchise/Generational/BPA
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
My forward lines

Drouin - Poehling - Anderson

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Toffoli Suzuki Caufield
Hoffman Kotkaniemi Anderson
Drouin Evans Gallagher
Pereault Paquette Armia
Lehkonen Poehling

Edmundson Petry
Chariot Savard
Romanov Kulak

Price
Allen

Weber

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Toffoli Suzuki Caufield
Hoffman Kotkaniemi Anderson
Drouin Evans Gallagher
Pereault Paquette Armia
Lehkonen Poehling

Edmundson Petry
Chariot Savard
Romanov Kulak

Price
Allen

Weber

Big hole at center. Could use one more solid Dman to have a more solid dcore. I'd rather Savard on the 3rd pair. Would New Jersey retain on Subban? Or, Drouin for Subban?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->