2021-22 FPHL Season Thread

Jalapeno32

Jul 15, 2021
All in all I really don't feel bad for Rob. He was the GM for at least half of the Afr seasons. They gave him a sweetheart deal when they killed the deal where the guy was going to give them what they wanted. It's all the IDA's fault I suppose. I blame the politicians. Every politician involved got out at the right time. The mayor and county exec who made the arena deal happen. The county exec when they were trying to sell it and then the Jackals folded.

Afr may have been a not so great owner but Tom Freeman and the local government were worse. The government just wanted Afr out because they werent getting any cuts. Then this dope local billionaire Tom Freeman somehow gets the building in court and then eventually the Jackals. The first thing this dumb guy did was put in an unnecessary pub. Then he created this ownership shares thing and ultimately a group of 20 of his buddies in the local business community who were his chamber of commerce buddies run the team but they werent fiscally responsible. Then he quietly and randomly bolts and it was never made public knowledge really. The guy wasnt forced to sell or tried to sell. Just handed it over to the IDA and boom here we are 4 years later.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The IDA has been picky. From the get go they wanted the owner to own the building. When everything was for sale thats what they wanted. The IDA and building have a lot of debt. They feel the person running it should own it and pay off the debt. There was an option for Nichols to buy down the road but he makes it sound like they never discussed numbers and they havent met in over 2 years.
It's funny that they expect the team owner to take on debt he didn't create and become responsible for it. What was going on w the building after the jackles left and before he showed up? I'm not a big RN fan but that's kinda ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atlantian

Jalapeno32

Jul 15, 2021
It's funny that they expect the team owner to take on debt he didn't create and become responsible for it. What was going on w the building after the jackles left and before he showed up? I'm not a big RN fan but that's kinda ridiculous.

Dormant for a year. I don't think Afr has many fans but at least he was willing to put a building in. Where was anybody else? Most of his years the jackals made the playoffs and he got in some big coaches.

I think it's insane to ask a new owner to pay for someone else's debt but I also think this is all politics. The out going county executive kept saying the county didn't want to be in the arena business. Seems strange to me because it feels like they're doing everything to stay in it. I also find it weird the current county executive was formerly the county sherriff. Nobody does that unless there are skeletons to hide. I think there's a lot of secrets regarding this building obviously among other things around here. I find it strange they strike a deal and for 2 1/2 years Robbie and the IDA never meet and the IDA leader says he doesn't know him. They can have multiple IDA meetings the last few weeks but can't meet with the tenant? That's strange.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Just get a tractor to pull something in the slush. That'll keep them entertained.

I'm guessing you have never been in Elmira in January. There is no slush, only snow. And that snow is filled with many needles from rampant opioid use in the region. I believe there is a link between the opioid abuse and the large crowds for Enforcers. It would require a lot of drugs to convince a market the Fed is high quality hockey.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Huge blow to the Fed. As expected, Nichols and the Enforcers were unable to come to an agreement with their arena and will be dormant for the 21-22 season. Players are being disbursed, but if the Enforcers return for 22-23, they will have their rights.
Elmira Enforcers dispersed for 2021-22 season
Looks like Robbie & his team may be buried in the rubble of First Arena ... Elmira Star-Gazette: Fix it or demolish it? Chemung County mulls options for 20-year-old First Arena in Elmira

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I surfed the FPHL social media to look for latest news, and noticed this Cover Photo on their Facebook page posted back in April. The entire Eastern Seaboard and stretching to the Mississippi - looks like a strategic hockey land grab ...

upload_2021-8-11_20-8-15.png

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The Feds master schedule is out.
  • 7 teams will compete in 203 games opening Friday October 29 and ending Saturday April 16.
  • There will be an eastern and western division with Binghamton, Delaware, Danbury, and Watertown making up the Eastern, and Carolina, Columbus, and Port Huron making up the Western.
  • Also, as we all know, Columbus will be playing three neutral site games in Biloxi, MS in December against a mix of CAR and PH.

Reactions: sabremike

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
  • There will be an eastern and western division with Binghamton, Delaware, Danbury, and Watertown making up the Eastern, and Carolina, Columbus, and Port Huron making up the Western. ...
Not sure why they're bothering to designate "Eastern" & "Western" teams when "Western" has Georgia & Carolina teams. Unless Barry Soskin has a supply of "Western Champion" banners he wants to dust off. :facepalm:

ETA: Oops, wait, I get it now. Three "Western" games in Biloxi. Go West, Young Men. :deadhorse

Last edited:

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Not sure why they're bothering to designate "Eastern" & "Western" teams when "Western" has Georgia & Carolina teams. Unless Barry Soskin has a supply of "Western Champion" banners he wants to dust off. :facepalm:

ETA: Oops, wait, I get it now. Three "Western" games in Biloxi. Go West, Young Men. :deadhorse
I don’t understand it either. According to the website, when Elmira was still in for next year, they would’ve been in the East as well making it a 5-3 split

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I don’t understand it either. According to the website, when Elmira was still in for next year, they would’ve been in the East as well making it a 5-3 split
All part of Barry's ultimate plan to spin off the Soskin Hockey League. He's just waiting for the SPHL "North Division" teams to jump on his bandwagon. :jump::jump::jump::jump:

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I believe this season has big implications for the future of the Fed. With a big market team in Elmira likely not returning and Binghamton possibly being a one-year wonder, that would push the league down to 6 teams spread out all over the eastern US from south Georgia to Northern New York to Michigan. I do not know how that could be sustainable in the long term.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I believe this season has big implications for the future of the Fed. With a big market team in Elmira likely not returning and Binghamton possibly being a one-year wonder, that would push the league down to 6 teams spread out all over the eastern US from south Georgia to Northern New York to Michigan. I do not know how that could be sustainable in the long term.
He says of a league that has stayed in business for 11 straight years, with as few as 4 teams playing in one of those seasons spread from Danbury to Danville.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
He says of a league that has stayed in business for 11 straight years, with as few as 4 teams playing in one of those seasons spread from Danbury to Danville.
It would take a lot to kill this league, if they would ever let it die. I could see them playing with three teams if need be. That being said, it feels to me like these last 3-4 seasons, basically since the founding of Carolina, they are finally looking for long term viability and larger markets. We are moving away from the traditional 800-1200 average arenas the Fed was founded on. Also, the footprint of the league is expanding at a fast pace. It went from a Northeast/Michigan area league to possibly looking at adding a team in Southern Mississippi next season. I just thing it is too much too quickly, especially if the league permanently loses what I believed to be one of their staple franchises in Elmira after having lost Danville and if Binghamton only lasts a year. I believe how the Fed handles this upcoming season, especially with the exhibition games in Biloxi, will greatly shape the future of the league.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Was told this weekend by someone I trust that the Elmira arena is going to be torn down. The announcement hasn't been made publicly yet, but everyone in the area that knows is trying to lock up ice time at the college rinks and some adult players are now trying to find places to play up to 45mins-1hours away...

Minor League Rando

Mar 13, 2021
Howdy, its been a while.

I can confirm that there is at least talk of demolition. However, I would also note that the Pioneers deal that Robbie got could be a game changer. Wouldn't be surprised if it is sent to arena heaven though.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Howdy, its been a while.

I can confirm that there is at least talk of demolition. However, I would also note that the Pioneers deal that Robbie got could be a game changer. Wouldn't be surprised if it is sent to arena heaven though.

The talk of demolition has been reported in the media - MONTHS AGO.

Got any hot new insights?

First Arena future in doubt in downtown Elmira after review

Chemung County IDA considering demolition of First Arena amid repair cost concerns

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->