2021-22 FPHL Season Thread

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Had not seen too much news about the 2021-22 FPHL season since the end of the Ignite Cup Finals until recently. As of right now, it is looking like the league will begin the season with 8 teams, 5 in the Eastern Division (Binghamton, Danbury, Delaware, Elmira, and Watertown) and 3 in the Western Division (Carolina, Columbus, and Port Huron). That is the plan right now, although Elmira, arguably one of the most stable teams in league history, may not play due to issues with the First Arena.
Future of First Arena in doubt | WETM - MyTwinTiers.com

It is also looking like the Fed will play at least 2 neutral site games in Biloxi, MS, although it has not been confirmed. If it is the Fed, my personal guess would be Columbus against Carolina, as they can spare the extra travel, and are the two closest teams geographically. Press conference to be held July 14.

Another big milestone for the Fed is Thunderbirds' coach Andre Niec has made the jump straight from the Fed to the NHL and will be a European scout for the Florida Panthers. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe he is the first Fed alum to make it to the show.

Reactions: JMCx4

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
Sounds like the IDA is hoping someone comes along with a plan to house an ECHL team there. Giving Nichols the cold shoulder isn't a good look, especially when he's owed $$$.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Thunderbirds' coach Andre Niec has made the jump straight from the Fed to the NHL and will be a European scout for the Florida Panthers. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe he is the first Fed alum to make it to the show.
Thunderbirds head coach Andre Niec to join Florida Panthers as European scout ...

I Felt A Great Disturbance.jpg

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Sounds like the IDA is hoping someone comes along with a plan to house an ECHL team there. Giving Nichols the cold shoulder isn't a good look, especially when he's owed $$$.

As much as I can't stand Nichols and the Enforcers in general (don't @ me, it is what it is), the IDA treating him poorly isn't that common. There's several communities that treat minor league teams shoddily in the hopes they leave or quit so they can roll out the welcome carpet for something larger. In Jackson, Tennessee, the mayor wants nothing to do with the Jackson Generals after they were kicked out by Major League Baseball, and thinks something else will come along at the organized minor league level almost immediately.

However, sometimes, beggars can't be choosers. Elmira was one of the smallest ECHL markets in that league's history, and it's unlikely they'll return. Possibly as a stop-gap for the Northeastern teams, perhaps, but it's not like revenue is going to skyrocket for the area once again.

Reactions: Roadhog

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Also, I am curious as to why Fraser completely failed. Bloomington seems to be something where there's a paper trail, but Fraser is at least a more humorous tale, given they would have been treated similar to Battle Creek.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Also, I am curious as to why Fraser completely failed. Bloomington seems to be something where there's a paper trail, but Fraser is at least a more humorous tale, given they would have been treated similar to Battle Creek.
I have been told simply that the opportunity has come and gone. It seems like the ownership group just barely had enough resources to get the team going but definitely Covid and possibly infighting (don't remember for sure, trying to remember from a conversation a long time ago) led to it just not working out.

Tater Tot

Jul 8, 2017
A goodbye post from the Enforcers?

Over the past three years, CAN-USA has had the honor of bringing Elmira affordable entertainment in various forms. WWE, High School Graduations, Extreme Ice Racing, Rodeo, police/fire hockey games, Enforcers Hockey, Jr Enforcers Hockey, Youth Hockey Tournaments, Wine and Beer on Ice, Women’s Hockey Tournaments, Irish Christmas-Carol of the kings, Elmira Eagles Basketball, Carts on Ice, Harlem Globetrotters, craft fairs, Job Fairs & Rock and Skate. We have been blessed to be able to give back in ways that directly benefit OUR community. The Food bank, SPCA, Chemung animal shelter, American cancer Society, Autism awareness, Domestic Violence prevention/awareness, Youth hockey, Youth baseball, passed out teddy bears to kids at Arnot, bagged groceries, read to schools, raised and donated a ton of school supplies driving covid, started a “ Don’t be a bully” program and went to schools to talk about it, went to every Glovehouse Christmas with our players and gifts, rang bells constantly for the Salvation Army and even helped serve coffee at Dunkin! One of our favorite events will always be our 3 Christmas Eve dinners where we provided warm meals, blankets, coats, gloves and haircuts for anyone who needed it! While there are people out there that don’t “know who we are” we know our community knows who we are and what we are all about. Our staff worked tirelessly to make this dream come true for our city. We can not even put a number on the hours spent making the arena a place for all. Every event, big or small, we can truly say we gave Elmira everything we had. We turned a broken, abandoned arena into something magical in hopes of being a bright spot in your lives. Do us a favor, share your favorite pictures or tell us your favorite memories made over the last three years here with us. It would really mean the world to us! Your support has never gone unnoticed or unappreciated. They can take away a lot of things, but our memories and Enforcer family will last forever! #ourhouse #weputonforourcity #makesomenoiseeeeee

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
As much as I can't stand Nichols and the Enforcers in general (don't @ me, it is what it is), the IDA treating him poorly isn't that common. There's several communities that treat minor league teams shoddily in the hopes they leave or quit so they can roll out the welcome carpet for something larger. In Jackson, Tennessee, the mayor wants nothing to do with the Jackson Generals after they were kicked out by Major League Baseball, and thinks something else will come along at the organized minor league level almost immediately.

However, sometimes, beggars can't be choosers. Elmira was one of the smallest ECHL markets in that league's history, and it's unlikely they'll return. Possibly as a stop-gap for the Northeastern teams, perhaps, but it's not like revenue is going to skyrocket for the area once again.
The only chance in Hell of an ECHL team ever coming back to Elmira would be if the Pegulas bought a team and put them there so all the Sabres affiliates would be close by and as a gesture of goodwill, but that's not happening any time soon.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
The only chance in Hell of an ECHL team ever coming back to Elmira would be if the Pegulas bought a team and put them there so all the Sabres affiliates would be close by and as a gesture of goodwill, but that's not happening any time soon.

I mean, Terry and Kim's new yacht won't pay for itself...

Reactions: sabremike

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
So is this just a further reflection on the league not being able to generate enough revenue to justify a lease for a building that size or is this just a situation of Elmira and ownership getting into a dispute?

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
I think it's a case of Robbie not being the easiest to deal with. How many tours are actually looking at First Arena for their lucrative Friday and Saturday dates? I'd bet my next paycheck it's nowhere near top-tier acts.

A rink with 3700 seats in a fairly hockey-hungry market is pretty much the ideal Fed rink if the owners can get a decent lease.

I feel like any new owners in the league are going to be looking for sweetheart leases to make up for the travel costs with how far-flung the league is now. Elmira, Watertown, Binghamton, Danbury, Port Huron ... that's a good base for a league if you could get 1-3 teams in Ohio., Pennsylvania, or Indiana. The problem becomes where would those teams be? With teams in Winston-Salem, Columbus, and potentially Biloxi, travel eats the budget and that money has to be saved somewhere.

Reactions: JMCx4 and sabremike

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Hilarious that the boob that runs the Mississippi Coast Coliseum didn't even get the name of the league right during the press conference, calling it the "Federal Professional Hockey League," not the "Federal Prospects Hockey League."

Reactions: Atlantian

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Hilarious that the boob that runs the Mississippi Coast Coliseum didn't even get the name of the league right during the press conference, calling it the "Federal Professional Hockey League," not the "Federal Prospects Hockey League."
But the former sounds more .... Professional ... ya know ...

Jalapeno32

Jul 15, 2021

They had a guy. The Jackals folded because the guy was gunna create a new ECHL team. He got screwed out of it just like Nichols. They went as far as having a press conference to unveil the new owner. Something then happened nobody knows what. It was a selection year and the county executive was retiring. His buddy at the time was the IDA leader. He was in the race for county executive and lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Roadhog

Jalapeno32

Jul 15, 2021

I mean they arent really prospects to be fair. These guys will be lucky to ever continuously remain in the ECHL.

Jalapeno32

Jul 15, 2021
So is this just a further reflection on the league not being able to generate enough revenue to justify a lease for a building that size or is this just a situation of Elmira and ownership getting into a dispute?

The IDA has been picky. From the get go they wanted the owner to own the building. When everything was for sale thats what they wanted. The IDA and building have a lot of debt. They feel the person running it should own it and pay off the debt. There was an option for Nichols to buy down the road but he makes it sound like they never discussed numbers and they havent met in over 2 years.

Jalapeno32

Jul 15, 2021

Thats a huge puff puff pass. They suck and are clueless. Just more 33rd degree Freemasons. The area is largely Rangers fans anyway. Binghamton fans are crying for a Rangers return even though the AHL has passed markets like that by. An affiliation with the Binghamton Rangers and NY Rangers would be a good dream scenario even though its not happening because I highly doubt Bingo ever even returns to the A

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad