2021-22 ECHL Season Thread

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I'll give you my opinion, since @JDogindy went off on a tangent ... A redo of the NE Division schedule could be preferable to forcing the Growlers into a temporary home with its costs & logistics. DSE will be plenty busy with two new ECHL franchises this coming season. If they can't get a resolution in St. John's within the next month, I could see dormancy being their next move.
Would be cool to see if DSE would try Manchester but I agree that it’s likely too late and not worth the extra expenses to try to find an alternate venue and they would likely go dormant again. People on Facebook say there’s a suitable venue in Corner Brook, NL but the population just isn’t there to support it. 6h+ drive from St. John’s

Reactions: hurricanesfan123

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
I'll give you my opinion, since @JDogindy went off on a tangent ... A redo of the NE Division schedule could be preferable to forcing the Growlers into a temporary home with its costs & logistics. DSE will be plenty busy with two new ECHL franchises this coming season. If they can't get a resolution in St. John's within the next month, I could see dormancy being their next move.
Look at their schedule, moving to Brampton would be perfect for them. People have suggested Dean M build his own arena outside St. John's (Mount Pearl), and he has plenty of money to do it.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Look at their schedule, moving to Brampton would be perfect for them. People have suggested Dean M build his own arena outside St. John's (Mount Pearl), and he has plenty of money to do it.
What is it about the history of the Brampton Beast operating out of CAA Centre that makes you believe "moving to Brampton would be perfect for them" even for one season (or however long it would take DSE to build or find another home ice)?

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
It appears Winterfest is back on schedule, with Kalamazoo and Indy as the opponents for the Walleye.
So, did you get credit for your cancelled Winterfest 2020 tix toward the 2021 event?

Toledo Walleye Winterfest 2021 Opponents.JPG

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
It's gonna be one of four scenarios

1. Come to an agreement with SJSE
2. Move to Manchester for upcoming season
3. Move to Brampton for upcoming season
4. Go dormant
You left out ... 5. Dean MacDonald starts his own hockey league. He's got 3 founding teams ready to hit the fresh ice. :badidea:

Last edited:

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Dean MacDonald supposedly had a meeting with the Mount Pearl city council discussing the possibility of building a new arena

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Dean MacDonald supposedly had a meeting with the Mount Pearl city council discussing the possibility of building a new arena
The question is: Can he hire an Amish community to construct & erect the structure by October?

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
No chance he'd have a place to play this year if Mile One and SJSE continue to be difficult. I have a feeling if Newfoundland sits out they may move Norfolk to the North and redo a good portion of the eastern conference schedule

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine

I just do not see that being a viable option. Hockey alone couldn't support itself in that market. And, Mile One is still king when it comes to events other than hockey. I think the move is bluster to force SJSE's hand by calling their bluff on whether they'd just let the Growlers walk.

Playing conspiracy theorist I wonder if this isn't some sort of ploy to force the Growlers out so St. John's could potentially land a QMJHL team. Unless it was a relocation, it wouldn't be an expansion team because the Q has been pretty adamant about expanding beyond its current footprint.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I just do not see that being a viable option. Hockey alone couldn't support itself in that market. And, Mile One is still king when it comes to events other than hockey. I think the move is bluster to force SJSE's hand by calling their bluff on whether they'd just let the Growlers walk.

Playing conspiracy theorist I wonder if this isn't some sort of ploy to force the Growlers out so St. John's could potentially land a QMJHL team. Unless it was a relocation, it wouldn't be an expansion team because the Q has been pretty adamant about expanding beyond its current footprint.
I don't know to much about the Q and the market, but St. John's has already tried and failed with the Fog Devils. From what I have seen from the Growlers Facebook group, fans are saying they will not support any sporting events at the arena if they force out the Growlers or the Edge (Basketball). The situation is honestly just getting ridiculous. With how this situation is playing out, and with how prior teams have had similar fates, I do not see any team surviving there under current circumstances.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
ECHL ANNOUNCES PLAYERS WITH QUALIFYING OFFERS

ECHL News
7 hours ago (July 26, 2021)

The ECHL on Monday released the list of Players who received a valid qualifying offer from ECHL teams by the July 23 deadline.

Players who had already signed a contract by July 23 did not need to receive a qualifying offer.

Each team was entitled to reserve the rights to a maximum of eight qualified players. Of the eight qualified players, no more than four could be veterans (260 regular season professional hockey games played as of the start of the upcoming 2021-22 season). Players on open qualifying offers cannot be traded.

The qualifying offer must remain open for acceptance until August 9 at which time the qualifying offer becomes null and void and the team may sign the qualified player to any salary or may elect to take no further action. Teams that extend a valid qualifying offer to a non-veteran player shall retain the rights to that qualified player for one playing season.

A team that extends a valid qualifying offer to a veteran player, or to a goaltender who has played more than 180 regular-season games, will retain the rights to that player until August. After August 9, if the veteran player or goaltender is not signed to a contract by the team, the player shall be deemed a restricted free agent and shall be entitled to seek and secure offers of employment from other ECHL teams. Restricted free agents may not be traded. When a restricted free agent receives a contract offer from a team other than the team with the player’s rights and the restricted free agent wishes to accept the contract offer, the restricted free agent and the offering member must, within 24 hours, notify the ECHL, the team with the player’s rights and the Professional Hockey Players’ Association. The member with the player’s rights shall have seven days after the date it is notified to exercise its right to match the contract offer.

If a restricted free agent is not signed to either an offer sheet or a contract by an ECHL team by August 16, the player shall be deemed an unrestricted free agent. ...

See Each Team's List at: ECHL announces Players with Qualifying Offers

At first glance, I found it curious that Newfoundland & Worcester each made only one qualifying offer. :huh:

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
At first glance, I found it curious that Newfoundland & Worcester each made only one qualifying offer. :huh:
Well, first of all, in order to get a qualifying offer a player had to be on an ECHL contract with the team. Newfoundland's team is comprised largely of players on AHL contracts, assigned by Toronto, so they don't have as many ECHL contracted players to qualify. Secondly, players who have already signed contracts aren't listed. So it is possible that Worcester already signed most of the players that they want to bring back. I know the Royals already announced six returning players for the upcoming season. Worcester might just be holding back on making the announcements of contracts that were already signed.

Reactions: JMCx4

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
No.

Just... No.

Brampton wasn't and will never be a hockey town. It's population doesn't like hockey. End of story.

I visited that arena more than once when the OHL's Battalion was the primary tenant. And I'll agree, the folks in Brampton don't give a damn about hockey, either the OHL or the ECHL. I'd make the argument that neither do the fans in Mississauga. In the GTA, it's the Leafs or nothing.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I do not see how Newfoundland plays this season. If they do it will be a huge turnaround. Essentially theyre starting from scratch. Sure they will have Marlies players, but as of right now (as far as we know) they have no coaches, no players signed, and most importantly, they have no lease. We're about two months out from training camp. It can be done, but I do not see how it will be

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad