GDT: 2021-2 season game 74 LA Kings vs Minnesota Wild @2:00pm 4/10/22

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Pretty confident Byfield would do similar if given the chance to do whatever he wants on the ice. Completely different scenarios the 2 are in...

Right now, there is only 1 rookie on the Kings allowed to gamble offensively and continuously make mistakes and get big minutes. That's Durzi and it's ONLY because of the injuries on the blue line. There's a less than zero chance TMc would allow that from a rookie forward. ZERO. All of those shoulda been a King forwards being mentioned are the worst players on their teams in terms of being responsible in their own ends. However, I applaud their teams for giving them the freedom to try shit without punishment at the first missed assignment or bad read.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Byfield is the youngest player on the roster. Over 14 months younger than the next guy Kaliyev. With the way the roster is constructed he will play in the bottom six for the foreseeable future barring injuries.

Based on his forecast role and utilization, I don’t see how you can expect any kind of breakout production in the next 12-24 months. His immediate upside looks to me to be on par with Kaliyev. So next year QB pots around a dozen goals and Kaliyev puts in like 18.

Hoping for more than that is buying into the organization’s propaganda that the opening of the cup window is just around the corner and will be led by the fossils from the previous decade who are still here and getting over paid.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Right now, there is only 1 rookie on the Kings allowed to gamble offensively and continuously make mistakes and get big minutes. That's Durzi and it's ONLY because of the injuries on the blue line. There's a less than zero chance TMc would allow that from a rookie forward. ZERO. All of those shoulda been a King forwards being mentioned are the worst players on their teams in terms of being responsible in their own ends. However, I applaud their teams for giving them the freedom to try shit without punishment at the first missed assignment or bad read.

Byfield is the youngest player on the roster. Over 14 months younger than the next guy Kaliyev. With the way the roster is constructed he will play in the bottom six for the foreseeable future barring injuries.

Based on his forecast role and utilization, I don’t see how you can expect any kind of breakout production in the next 12-24 months. His immediate upside looks to me to be on par with Kaliyev. So next year QB pots around a dozen goals and Kaliyev puts in like 18.

Hoping for more than that is buying into the organization’s propaganda that the opening of the cup window is just around the corner and will be led by the fossils from the previous decade who are still here and getting over paid.

Seems like a waste of talent for both. They should both be on every PP and playing 15-20 minutes or should be doing so in Ontario.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Seems like a waste of talent for both. They should both be on every PP and playing 15-20 minutes or should be doing so in Ontario.
I disagree. We need to see what these kids are sooner than later. Repeating AHL performances is a step back, not forward.

Reactions: Herby

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
How is playing on the 3rd and 4th line in defensive situations helping them? Their confidence is shot...
I’m of the mind the only way for them to prove to themselves and everyone else they belong is at the NHL level. After watching the AHL the last two years, I don’t see any reason to think a top prospect has anything to gain after 40 games in the minors.

Reactions: Gjwrams

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Pretty confident Byfield would do similar if given the chance to do whatever he wants on the ice. Completely different scenarios the 2 are in...
Two different players yes. One had the NHL ready skills and the other was more of a project. Never felt right to take a project. Don’t see too much skill from Byfield vs Stutzle. That was evident at the draft so it’s not like this is a sudden realization. Just annoying to see we took a “big center” that doesn’t even use his size or body. If he doesn’t use his body then we just took the less talented player for the lulz

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

I’m not looking for production. I’m looking for signs that he’s actually a good player other than the random good plays he makes every other game that Trevor Moore does as well.

I’m not worried about production as much as I am worried with how lackluster he looks. He really needs to work on his strength and using his size but at the same time you don’t know how much that will change him as a player. Speed is something he has some of and adding weight to that might make him slower. Then at that point you only have his shot at 2nd overall pick when on draft day you saw the hockey skill on Stutzle being greater than his.

I hate thinking about it but when everything on the team is going wrong I really feel like that was just such a dumb pick.

We took a guy based on hope rather than taking a guy who had shown to be more skilled relatively easily. That’s what grinds at me. Management f***ing up with Turcotte and now likely took a lesser player purely on hope.

They took Turcotte for leadership so high and they took Byfield for size so high. That rubs me the wrong way.

People say oh Zegras wouldn’t be able to play like that on the Kings. And that’s true. But again Zegras on the Kings would make him the most talented player on the roster. The fact that people don’t have a problem with this is confusing to me

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
I’m not looking for production. I’m looking for signs that he’s actually a good player other than the random good plays he makes every other game that Trevor Moore does as well.

I’m not worried about production as much as I am worried with how lackluster he looks. He really needs to work on his strength and using his size but at the same time you don’t know how much that will change him as a player. Speed is something he has some of and adding weight to that might make him slower. Then at that point you only have his shot at 2nd overall pick when on draft day you saw the hockey skill on Stutzle being greater than his.

I hate thinking about it but when everything on the team is going wrong I really feel like that was just such a dumb pick.
I haven’t seen anything from him that makes me think he’s going to be a difference maker. But, I don’t think the book is closed because of his age. One of the only areas I give management credit is not publicly putting the kids front and center while saying they are trying to ice a competitive team.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls

We took a guy based on hope rather than taking a guy who had shown to be more skilled relatively easily. That’s what grinds at me. Management f***ing up with Turcotte and now likely took a lesser player purely on hope.

Way too early for any of this bullshit. Stutzle has a ton of flaws in his game and would have 12 points or be in Ontario. The crap him and Zegras pull would not fly with how LA is managed. They took the correct players at the time and we will see how it turns out if they ever take the chastity belt off the forwards.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Are the same people complaining about taking the safe pick of Turcotte over Zegras complaining about the swing for a home run pick of Byfield over Stutzle?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Ultimate Stockholm syndrome. Anyone with actual evidence of skill would suck on the kings because it’s the kings.
While there is truth to that my point is the Kings took the less skilled players at the time on more than one occasion. That’s what I have issue with

Reactions: DoktorJeep

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

They took Turcotte for leadership so high and they took Byfield for size so high. That rubs me the wrong way.

People say oh Zegras wouldn’t be able to play like that on the Kings. And that’s true. But again Zegras on the Kings would make him the most talented player on the roster. The fact that people don’t have a problem with this is confusing to me

Turcotte was drafted right where he was suppose to be. He wasn't the 16th rated prospect at the time and the Kings took a flyer on him, he was top 5 on just about every list. It was the right pick and still is. Nobody could've predicted his injuries or getting sick in college. Shit happen and it's just bad luck. How do you think the Avs feel about Byram and all his concussions? Are they calling him a bust yet? Guess what, next season Turc could be lights outs, just like everybody's flavor of the year... Zegras. Give him at least a full season before you throw him in the trash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad