Jake Virtanen XI - Showtime Big Country (Update: Suspended for 2 Games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Perfect timing for a fresh start on another Virtanen thread!

Jake_22.jpg

BIG COUNTRY
Left Wing / Right Wing -- shoots R
Born Aug 17 1996 -- New Westminster, BC
19 yrs. old
Height 6.01 -- Weight 212
#6 overall 2014 NHL Entry Draft

NHL.com player profile
His ESPN Game Log
HockeyDB profile
Wiki Page
His Twitter

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'd prefer it if we never associate the moniker "Big Country" to any athlete in this city ever again.

a- no one under 30-35 cares or knows about the other one (definitely not the teammates that gave it to him) (i'm 40)
b- some should consider it perfectly appropriate considering expectations by many Canuck fans.. heh

c- how can you not love when an organic nickname like this comes about!

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
From the last thread

"I'm confident that virtually every poster here is cheering for Jake to become the best player he can possibly be."

That's BS, there are certain posters that are now renowned Virtanen haters.

You can't complain endlessly about Jake as a pick and player then turn around and say "oh but I hope he does real good"- could you be more disingenuous?

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
From the last thread

"I'm confident that virtually every poster here is cheering for Jake to become the best player he can possibly be."

You can't complain endlessly about Jake as a pick and player then turn around and say "oh but I hope he does real good"- could you be more disingenuous?

People are allowed to be critical of players, and theres a lot of weight on a player who is your highest draft pick in 15 years.

I don't think you'll find a single person on these boards who wants to see Jake fail, and not have a great career as a Canuck. You are allowed to be critical of prospects, but still cheer for them.

Find me a single fan on these boards who is upset that Prust is sitting in favor of Virtanen right now.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Being critical of a pick.

Being critical of a players skill/abilities/how they play the game.

Hoping a player turns into a great player/does well/makes an impact for years.

Those are all three different things that one person can easily think. To equate criticism of the pick or player into hoping a player fails is not at all fair or even remotely accurate.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

Those are all three different things that one person can easily think. To equate criticism of the pick or player into hoping a player fails is not at all fair or even remotely accurate.

Mind blown.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
BEST NICKNAME EXPLANATION

So how did Jake Virtanen go from “Showtime” in the World Jrs to “Big Country” in Vancouver?

You can thank Bo Horvat and Matt Bartkowski for that. Though neither of them are willing to take full credit for it. They both say the other one came up with it.

Did they pick “Big Country” as a subtle jab based on the former Grizzlies center? Does Jake Virtanen have a bear paw shaved in his head somewhere we don’t know about?

For those hoping for a logical explanation, turn away now. Bo Horvat says he had no idea of its history here, he just picked it because it fit Jake.

“I just found out last weekend and it doesn’t sound good. But Jake isn’t going to be like that.” claims Bo.

For the fans who don’t like the name, Bo warns that the name is here to stay, so get used to it. And Jake has embraced it.

It suits him. He’s from Abbotsford.” explains Bo, underlining how little you need to justify a nicknames origins.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/1...ntry-and-daniel-sedin-passes-on-an-empty-net/

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver

Exactly.

I am critical of the pick. Virtanen was my 3rd choice at the spot at the draft.

I am critical of his development and his abilities. Virtanen had been disappointing for a while, but has been showing improvement lately.

I hope Virtanen becomes an amazing player. I am a fan of the Vancouver Canucks and want our players and prospects to develop into great players so the team can do well.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Horvat also made fun of Jake for being fat in that NHL 16 intermission segment. It wouldn't surprise me if he's just trying not to make a big thing of it, but it seems a bit too pat of an explanation otherwise.

Edit: also wouldn't surprise me if they know who Roy "Big Country" Nelson is, either.

From Horfat to Fatanen? :naughty:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Horvat also made fun of Jake for being fat in that NHL 16 intermission segment. It wouldn't surprise me if he's just trying not to make a big thing of it, but it seems a bit too pat of an explanation otherwise.

Edit: also wouldn't surprise me if they know who Roy "Big Country" Nelson is, either.

Anything's possible but Horvat was aged 2-7 when Reeves played in Vancouver so I don't know how likely it is he had even heard of the player, let alone his nickname. I mean outside of Vancouver, how high of a profile do you think Reeve's had? I'm guessing barely even registered, esp in Rodney Ontario where the Raps and Stoudamire, Mcgrady, and esp Carter would have absorbed 98% of the NBA exposure. And that's assuming 7 year old Bo Horvat wasn't 100% absorbed in hockey and NHL and had any awareness of NBA at all.

Seems far more likely he and Hutton came up with the name just as he says and had no idea of who Reeves was or that the nickname had ever existed before.

Besides, who is Bo Horfat to be making fun of anyone's weight? :sarcasm:

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
To summarize the first 11 thread

Virtanen sucks

should have drafted Ehlers

Benning doesn't know what he's doing

Nylander is god

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
From the last thread

I'm not a Virtanen hater at all. He's a Canuck, and the better he becomes the greater the Canucks chances become at winning a cup, therefore I am 100% cheering for him to become the best player he can possible be.

With that said, I hate the pick at 6. That's not a knock on Jake becuse he can't control where he is picked, that's a knock on Benning for coming to the conclusion that JV was the best talent available at pick 6 over the likes of Ehlers and Nylander.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad