WC: 2020 Zürich and Lausanne groups

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I find it funny how Germany are viewed after the olympics..

All of a sudden they are on par with the Swiss, and leagues above the other mid teams..

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I ask the IIHF and they told me the lowest pts in each division will get relegated unless it is the host team for the next games. So unless it changes Team GB is screwed next year.

If one of the teams relegated is the host fort he following year then they take the lowest 7th place team. If both are in the bottom then it's the two 7th place teams. I remember reading it somewhere. So GB need to best Belarus and then hope Latvia don't do worse than 6th. Then they have a chance.

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
Are you Rene Fasel?

Sweden>Finland

So Finland won the whole thing 2019 without any real NHL players, why do you assume this - it's more like the opposite or at least 50/50.

You think FIN will be weaker with at least some NHL players that almost certainly are joining up 2020?

Last edited:

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
So Finland won the whole thing 2019 without any real NHL players, why do you assume this - it's more like the opposite or at least 50/50.

You think FIN will be weaker with at least some NHL players that almost certainly are joining up 2020?

Finland will most likely have a stronger roster than in Bratislava but they'll still most likely be the underdogs against Sweden too. In Bratislava the QF was something like 75-25 for Sweden, whereas if they meat in Switzerland Sweden's chances will probably be around 55-60 percent.

KTl

Apr 11, 2019
If one of the teams relegated is the host fort he following year then they take the lowest 7th place team. If both are in the bottom then it's the two 7th place teams. I remember reading it somewhere. So GB need to best Belarus and then hope Latvia don't do worse than 6th. Then they have a chance.

This has changed. From the tournament info:
Relegation format

The overall bottom ranked two teams will be relegated to the 2021 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division I Group A with specific rules in place for next year's host nations.

If Belarus and Latvia need to be protected from relegation from the 2020 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship, only one team from the 2020 IIHF IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship will be relegated and only the winner from 2020 IIHF IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division I Group A will be promoted.

member 305909

I think that protection from relegation should be abolished. If a next year's host-country relegates then there should be a tournament without hosts or in some plan B location.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
I think that protection from relegation should be abolished. If a next year's host-country relegates then there should be a tournament without hosts or in some plan B location.

Ideally, you would be right, but considering the years of planning that go into this tournament, I'm not sure there could be any alternative. And of course, we can look at Germany in 2009, who would have been relegated if not for hosting the following year, and managed to vastly exceed expectations on home ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->