2020 XFL Season Thread

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
NFL teams don’t need full-scale farm teams as we know them in the other sports.

Reactions: Voight

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
I still think it should come back when the virus goes away. Why shouldn't it? It's a good testing ground for new rules, it provides people the opportunity to play football who can't in the NFL, and the fans flocked to the stadiums to watch.
Ratings fell every week and total attendance fell the last two. Vince could probably absorb those two, but he can't absorb no gate revenues from wrestling for multiple months, and the possibility of COVID-19 still being a thing a year from now. Some are projecting 3-5 years before the economy returns to pre-COVID levels. Can't keep paying all those executives and coaches with that much uncertainty.

I feel bad for the coaches, players and fans, but not for Vince. He's always been a worm.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You can argue the Cardinals never should've left St. Louis either, and that Arizona's franchise should be the one in Jacksonville.
Arizona’s franchise was almost the Eagles before the Cardinals moved.

Sep 19, 2008
Hopefully it's someone different. There are a lot of suitors and they could possibly manage the XFL well. What concerns me is the divorce between McMahon and Luck. Luck actually did a good job as commissioner. The XFL had a strong structure corporate wise with Luck as commish and people like Dean Blandino as head as officiating. Who knows if the same minds will be willing to go for the new XFL 3rd version.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The only way I see someone investing in minor league football at this point is if it’s a major network. Vince was ready to lose his ass in cash for the first few years. The only thing it cost the networks was production costs, other than that it was free live content and they still were ruminating about ditching the league because of ratings. Otherwise there would have to be some kind of other drastic business model.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I thought they were starting to get something going and then COVID just put the brakes on everything.

The product itself was definitely acceptable with high-level production. But if Vince felt he still had the support of the networks, he wouldn't have given up.

Sep 19, 2008
I just want a franchise in DC. KEep the 8 teams for all I care. Give me a DC franchise so I can go to games, and keep the rule changes. That's it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well. Didn’t anticipate that.

that’s very good news, Dwayne doesn’t screw around

Reactions: Roman Fell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad