2020 XFL Season Thread

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I assume with what has happened with NBA and fact public gatherings are being banned all over the place that XFL season is going to be suspended at some point shortly (I expect NHL to be suspended tomorrow)

I wonder if XFL can survive lost season , Reportedly Vince has finances arranged to support at least 2 years of league back when it formed

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The only revenue coming into the XFL is from gates. But Vince is the type where 'the show must go on.' and he is undoubtedly counting on having the entire sports landscape to himself this week, at least until local authorities force him to cancel. Still 2 more days to get there.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Business wise, there's some belief this may actually help the league next year. Ratings were dropping steadily, faster than network execs would have liked. Even though they were getting it for free, they still don't want ratings to be at rock bottom, and they were still putting out for production. Vince paying everyone through the season - he was prepared to do that anyways making no money aside from gates, so while it is the right thing to do anyways, is an expense he was planning for. The league never reached something you would consider an imminent failure that the original or the AAF did.

While the league was accounting well for itself, that's never a guarantee that these minor league football leagues continue. Maybe the networks still question it's viability, who knows, but I think having run the league never having reached the bottom, and Vince likely saving money when he's not going to make hardly any for another 2 years and having been able to see the product and prove that it's not the same unabashed joke that the 2001 version was, I think considering the circumstances, the league will end up in a net-positive.

Sep 19, 2008
Certainly seems like it.

There was still a skeleton crew working at the XFL main office so seeing this league end so quickly after being so successful would be weird. I would hope they return in 2021.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They actually did a good job this time around and there seemed like there was a good amount of fan interest.

I don't want to say poor timing because COVID is not McMahons fault, but wow just some really bad luck.

Sep 19, 2008
People are going to laugh or say "spring football won't ever work" but that is a shallow analysis that doesn't dive into the real issues. Plus, this league WAS working before COVID hit.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
yeah i feel like there was far more fan interest in this version of the XFL than the first one. just shitty timing and it doesn't look like they'll start back up in 2021

maybe third time's a charm in 20 years?

Sep 19, 2008
I still think it should come back when the virus goes away. Why shouldn't it? It's a good testing ground for new rules, it provides people the opportunity to play football who can't in the NFL, and the fans flocked to the stadiums to watch.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Combination of both. The pandemic undoubtedly changes the economy, and Vince probably had it made known to him that he wasn’t going to get a TV good-paying deal as the ratings were still sinking below marks the networks wanted. But bad luck was definitely a major factor, as Vince had credible football people involved in the product. Kind of surprised actually he pulled the plug this quick, he planned it for 2 years.

Sep 19, 2008
Combination of both. The pandemic undoubtedly changes the economy, and Vince probably had it made known to him that he wasn’t going to get a TV good-paying deal as the ratings were still sinking below marks the networks wanted. But bad luck was definitely a major factor, as Vince had credible football people involved in the product. Kind of surprised actually he pulled the plug this quick, he planned it for 2 years.
I still don't understand why it wouldn't come back when everything gets better. When the economy is booming again it should return IMO. I mean, it's not a colossal failure. The ratings did drop but attendance didn't. Attendance was strong throughout many markets, so much that St Louis had to open up the high level seats for games because of sky high demand.

Sep 19, 2008
It's well documented I have a serious problem with going to games. It's well documented I went to all 3 DC Defenders games as well as most of the Redskins games, Nationals, Capitals, etc.

DC Defenders games were always a big thrill to attend. The family atmosphere outside the stadium was great, you were able to make your own shields and bring them into the stadium. The tailgating scene wasn't as good as FedEx but still you had your spots. I'll never forget the first DC Defenders game. Walk into Walter's, just want something to eat. Place was packed as hell. 3 hours prior to the game. Riding the metro, see all these football fans. Different jerseys for each person, from a different team. Patriots. Ravens. Eagles, Cowboys.

These people, a disparate mish mash of NFL fans, all united, on that day. For DC. For this city. And it was a great sight. Damn it, he's wearing an Elliot jersey. But he is a Defenders fan. So he is a-okay. For today.

The atmosphere in the park, from the people's section, was always a blast. Shit went on which would never go on in a NFL stadium. You saw the crowd of people wearing meme masks, one guy with the bud light seltzer helmet, another guy starting a beer snake with the "Beer snake starts here" sign...you paid 15 dollars and you stood right next to the field. You would never see that in any professional NFL stadium. Those seats cost hundreds of dollars. Here, they cost 15.

The XFL was affordable, innovative, and took DC by storm from Feburary to March. It is a damn shame it was not allowed to last longer than it should have. Because let's not mince any words here, DC loved the Defenders and the Defenders loved DC and the atmosphere at Audi Field today.

This is truly a sad day.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I still don't understand why it wouldn't come back when everything gets better. When the economy is booming again it should return IMO. I mean, it's not a colossal failure. The ratings did drop but attendance didn't. Attendance was strong throughout many markets, so much that St Louis had to open up the high level seats for games because of sky high demand.
The money isn’t in the gate revenue, it’s in TV. Vince’s net-worth has also taken a big hit, he had less money to lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad