GDT: 2020 World Series: (AL) Tampa Bay Rays vs (NL) Los Angeles Dodgers - LAD wins 4-2

TB vs LAD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Don't know as much about baseball

But i definitely know the Dodgers remembered that celebration that he rays did after game 4 as motivation.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I think we'll also be seeing Urias in game 6 if Gonsolin can eat up some innings

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
What’s the story behind the whole hedge fund thing? First I’ve heard / paid attention to this.

They were bought by a hedge fund guy 15 years ago (Sternberg). He installed some of the guys who worked with him in management positions (Friedman, Silverman) and over the years they brought in more Wall Street guys like them to help run the team. Even tho they have made some good teams over the years apparently some random writers have an issue with their backgrounds :dunno: :huh:

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
LOL that's some crazy trivia, both that it only happened once and it was freaking Brad Fullmer.
I know! It was back end of a double steal in the first inning of that game. Actually the game finished 11-10 Anaheim.

I know this because I istened to game on the Tampa Bay radio stream and they mentioned it.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
They were bought by a hedge fund guy 15 years ago (Sternberg). He installed some of the guys who worked with him in management positions (Friedman, Silverman) and over the years they brought in more Wall Street guys like them to help run the team. Even tho they have made some good teams over the years apparently some random writers have an issue with their backgrounds :dunno: :huh:

Thanks for this. Did not know this. Pretty amazing the career the young Friedman has forged with that type of career background.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

Seeing how dominate he usually is and how well he has pitched this off-season, I can't help but think that yeah, Kershaw has had some post-season blips, but that the cheating scandals of the Astros and Red Sox would make any great pitcher look ordinary. And because of it, he has been robbed of a better post-season resume and has taken way more heat for his post-season struggles than he should.

Reactions: Cold Cat

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Thanks for this. Did not know this. Pretty amazing the career the young Friedman has forged with that type of career background.

Even once he was hired by the Dodgers and given a blank cheque to improve the team, outside of Pollock he hasn't spent crazy money in free agency. He's even tapped into his Tampa roots and brought on unheralded guys like Taylor, Muncy + Turner, while also refusing to include their top prospects (Urias, Buehler, Seager etc) in trades.

Side note - I'd be happy for either team if they won, but I'm pulling for the Dodgers here. They were literally cheated out of 2 World Series titles (maybe they still lose if both teams had played fair, but we'll never know).

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Not debating it, because I know that's what people are saying but why would it be a balk if he had just thrown a pitch?

Balk rules always confuse me as being vague...

When pitchers get 'set', you know load up and start their delivery, they need to come to a complete stop before delivering the pitch. When Kersh pitches out of the stretch he does that thing where he lifts his glove above his head and peaks at the runners and takes a deep breath. He never came to a full stop when doing that.

Rulebook says you need to come to a stop before you can throw the pitch, if you don't and runners are on it's a balk because you could be trying to quick pitch a guy and prevent guys from stealing and timing your delivery.

Stepping off the rubber, kind of makes that a 'dead pitch' and prevents it from being a balk.

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
When pitchers get 'set', you know load up and start their delivery, they need to come to a complete stop before delivering the pitch. When Kersh pitches out of the stretch he does that thing where he lifts his glove above his head and peaks at the runners and takes a deep breath. He never came to a full stop when doing that.

Rulebook says you need to come to a stop before you can throw the pitch, if you don't and runners are on it's a balk because you could be trying to quick pitch a guy and prevent guys from stealing and timing your delivery.

Stepping off the rubber, kind of makes that a 'dead pitch' and prevents it from being a balk.
Learned the the hard way in a TOC game at 13. Ump actually came out and explained it to me after he made the call.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Since I'm a rules nerd, here's expanded version. here's Kershaw out of the stretch. Watch how is glove goes up and then comes down to a rest.

Here's where his glove was when Margot took off, still at the top.

w9HoUxD.png

If he didn't step off and just made a pitch toward home, that would be 'altering delivery' like talked about in this video.

Can a Pitcher Speed-Up His Windup to Catch Runner Stealing Home?

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
There’s been a lot of pinch-hitting going on in the playoffs despite the DH. That makes Roberts’ job even tougher when it comes to players’ egos. You can’t be a player’s manager when you’re getting a pinch hitter for AJ Pollock, the team’s home run leader and on a 5-year contract.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Kershaw threw 85 pitches last night. If this series goes 7, and the Dodgers bullpen is what it is, is it realistic to see Kershaw make an appearance in game 7?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Since I'm a rules nerd, here's expanded version. here's Kershaw out of the stretch. Watch how is glove goes up and then comes down to a rest.

Here's where his glove was when Margot took off, still at the top.

w9HoUxD.png

If he didn't step off and just made a pitch toward home, that would be 'altering delivery' like talked about in this video.

Can a Pitcher Speed-Up His Windup to Catch Runner Stealing Home?

Thanks for the clarification. I didn’t realize the steal of home attempt came during the load up and not the actual delivery.

Actually a pretty smart play by Margot based on Kerahaw’s elaborate set up. Only thing he could have done better is maybe just getting a slightly better jump but it was definitely worth the gamble of Kershaw throwing it away or balking seeing how close it was at the plate. Pretty amazing calm and awareness to not have either of those things happen.

Glad it worked out for Kershaw and co though!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad