Prospect Info: 2020 World Junior Thread: McJesus Edition - McMichael (CAN) & Has (CZE)

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
So what happened? I keep seeing a picture of a camera on Instagram
Puck hit a camera that was behind the glass, refs didn't call delay of game, would have resulted in 6 on 3 for Russia with goalie pulled.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
All I know is Canada looked off. CMM was moved up in the lineup and they won it all. Ready to see him in Hershey and pushing caps players for ice time.

Jun 15, 2007
All I know is Canada looked off. CMM was moved up in the lineup and they won it all. Ready to see him in Hershey and pushing caps players for ice time.

Hot take: CMM won't play for Hershey next year.

Jun 15, 2007
I meant next season. But then again I have no idea what his eligibility rules are for next season......He turns 19 in a few days.

I'm talking about 2020-2021.

If you're a CHL player, you need to be 20 by Dec 31 of that year. He will still be 19. He misses the cutoff by 15 days.

Reactions: Sam Spade

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
I agree with this. Its gonna be interesting.. he will likely be at the point where he isn't getting anything out of junior next season.. but at the same time, I think it wouldnt be the right move to force the NHL on him under limited minutes... dumb rule that he cant go to AHL.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I agree with this. Its gonna be interesting.. he will likely be at the point where he isn't getting anything out of junior next season.. but at the same time, I think it wouldnt be the right move to force the NHL on him under limited minutes... dumb rule that he cant go to AHL.

young players get limited minutes....rarely damages anyone permanently. See Tom Wilson. ;)

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
It really is. I wonder what the point/origin of that is.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
young players get limited minutes....rarely damages anyone permanently. See Tom Wilson. ;)
Im happy where wilson is now, but still don’t think the right path was given to him and it delayed his development.. and I think the current regime thinks that as well. But wilson is a different beast. Without looking at any stats (and I may be wrong), AHL for a season or so just let feels like it is usually a more successful route.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I mean, ok. But if a kid is eligible to go pro why control a league. Maybe say no pro players younger than 18 or whatever and leave it at that.

I’m sure someone like Honeybrain can speak to the system better than me....but...

I think the impact of allowing that runs much deeper and they’re all right now in a system that’s mutually beneficial. The AHL would probably be littered with young physically immature players if they were allowed to go there at 18. those guys take away jobs from many older players who carve out a Career/living at that level.

That they have to stay in Jrs helps the Jr team retain talented players and sell tickets in their town, helps the AHL stay an older league where older vets have many jobs, helps control the draftee by NHL clubs, etc...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Im happy where wilson is now, but still don’t think the right path was given to him and it delayed his development.. and I think the current regime thinks that as well. But wilson is a different beast. Without looking at any stats (and I may be wrong), AHL for a season or so just let feels like it is usually a more successful route.

hah...agree to disagree. He broke out at 23 after already being a game changer in the physicality dept since age 18. Wilson dangling players in Jrs and fighting off every pretender who wanted to fight an NHL 1st rounder for another year or 2 wouldn’t have served anyone IMO.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It’s going to depend on his body.....can he physically be NHL-ready in 10 months? Strength and skating....

It'll also depend on if there's a spot for him. Maybe they don't bring Leipsic back and bump Hags down to the 4th line but that 4th line is team's best line right now. Maybe they have some extra coin with the cap going up and Holtby likely departing and they bring in a higher priced free agent to add some scoring to the third line. Maybe the boys win the whole damn thing and everyone comes back next year and then there's not a clear spot for him.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Problem is that the cutoff point is age 20 during that calendar year. McMichael missed it by a mere 15 days because his bday is Jan 15. That blows

Reactions: searle

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
hah...agree to disagree. He broke out at 23 after already being a game changer in the physicality dept since age 18. Wilson dangling players in Jrs and fighting off every pretender who wanted to fight an NHL 1st rounder for another year or 2 wouldn’t have served anyone IMO.

Ya. I did put the caveat that wilson was a different beast. Still though.. he was only dominating junior for 1 season. Still think he had some offensive instincts he could have focused on there for 1 more season to help get more confidence in the nhl. And taking 6 nhl seasons for 16 OA pick to get 20 goals 40 pts is a bit delayed.

That said... I’m a big fan of him now and he’s different because of his physicality where he probably would have killed someone in junior... every prospect is different.. but I typically tend to want to take time with them

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It'll also depend on if there's a spot for him. Maybe they don't bring Leipsic back and bump Hags down to the 4th line but that 4th line is team's best line right now. Maybe they have some extra coin with the cap going up and Holtby likely departing and they bring in a higher priced free agent to add some scoring to the third line. Maybe the boys win the whole damn thing and everyone comes back next year and then there's not a clear spot for him.

well I’m assuming for the discussion he wins a spot in camp. Not a forgone conclusion by any means.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ya. I did put the caveat that wilson was a different beast. Still though.. he was only dominating junior for 1 season. Still think he had some offensive instincts he could have focused on there for 1 more season to help get more confidence in the nhl. And taking 6 nhl seasons for 16 OA pick to get 20 goals 40 pts is a bit delayed.

That said... I’m a big fan of him now and he’s different because of his physicality where he probably would have killed someone in junior... every prospect is different.. but I typically tend to want to take time with them

it’s only delayed if you only measure impact by points. Don’t blame Wilson’s development/production expectations on being taken higher than he probably would have many draft years. Not his fault.

I just don’t see how anyone can look at the player this guy has developed into and take issue with his development path so far.
Anyway better for another thread....

Last edited:
Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->