Prospect Info: 2020 World Junior Thread: McJesus Edition - McMichael (CAN) & Has (CZE)

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
It's the best time of the year once again: that time when we all form irrational opinions on our favourite/least favourite teams' prospects based on extremely small sample sizes.

This year Washington is represented by two players: Connor McMichael of Canada (25th overall in 2019) and Martin Hugo Has of the host Czech Republic (153rd overall in 2019).

^ McMichael not in a great position to rack up points like he's been doing in the OHL, but WJC lines can change pretty quickly. He has been playing 4LW pretty much the entire pre-tournament phase. Meanwhile, Has will be a top-4 defenseman for the Czechs. And he's right handed!

Games start tomorrow.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Finally. Love watching WJC, it's great hockey. Very excited to get some more looks on McMichael and Has, as well as several prospects that still haven't been drafted. There are going to be some great ones playing in big roles.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Interesting that McMichael gets only 4th line left wing. I take he is not that well thought of then.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Interesting that McMichael gets only 4th line left wing. I take he is not that well thought of then.

I wouldn't look too far into it based on who's ahead of him at LW. Lafreniere and Byfield are probably going 1 & 2 respectively in the upcoming draft and will both be playing in the NHL as 18 year olds. And being behind Foudy is a playing style thing more so than ability: Dellandrea and Dudas are the 'meat and potatoes' type which fits Foudy's game, while Thomas and Lavoie are pure skill guys. Barrett Hayton being sent down by Arizona probably ended McMichael's shot of starting the tournament in a scoring role.

Anyway, Dale Hunter is this year's coach for Team Canada. He also coaches in London, where McMichael slots in on the 1st line and Foudy is on the 2nd line. So it's not like he's in the doghouse here.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
CMM on the fourth line is more about balance IMO but if he's going and the top six needs a shake-up (say, Foote or Byfield) I don't doubt he get a chance. Up to him to force his way into a heavier role.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I just saw Czech beat Russia 4-3. I haven't been keeping up, is that a shocker?

I see Has played 20 mins in a win.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
McMichael on the fourth line is certainly disappointing. He had, by my count, only two shifts in the first period and couldn't have totaled more than a minute and a half of ice time. In the limited time he had he looked much more dangerous than the rest of the team, with two good scoring chances. Hopefully he'll get more ice time as the game progresses, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
at least he’s getting practice on the 4th line.

Also wasn’t it Dale who had Beagle centering Ovie in a playoff series?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad