Prospect Info: 2020 WJC NYR Prospect Speculation

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
I don't get to watch Miller or Jones in the NCAA but I got to watch most of the USA games. Miller is very good on D when the play is moving, once/if the offensive team sets up he has a hard time(he did look better the more he played). He looks like he is trying to much and gets lost. The part of D that he is really good at is the hardest part, gap control, knowing when to pinch and when to go after a forward in the neutral zone. He will learn to calm down and make better reads in the D zone. Shea Theodore had the same problem and he worked it out in the AHL. I really liked what a saw.
Jones I like his simple play on D, he uses his feet and stick to break up plays well. His skating is not bad but not on the same level as say Tony D. He is also not a nasty D like Trouba or Lindgren. He is kinda a in-between guy, doesn't have the O like Fox or TDA and is not D minded like Lindgren. I would like to see him take one of his skills to the next level, like his stick work(it is good but I think it could be at a very high level). I think he can be a solid player for NYR but none of his skills really jump out at me. With prospects I like to see something that is above average pro level, I just don't see it but he is a solid all around player and I think NCAA is perfect for him. I think he can become a solid 2-way guy. I might have been expecting to see more high end skills because of his NCAA numbers. Solid player nonetheless.
I liked what I saw for Joonas Oden, he wanted this game more than anyone else. Is he draft eligible? Was he passed on last year?

Reactions: pblawr

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I liked what I saw for Joonas Oden, he wanted this game more than anyone else. Is he draft eligible? Was he passed on last year?

seems Oden was passed over twice, still draft eligible

Joonas Oden Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
Joonas Oden
Right Wing -- shoots R
Born Feb 17 2000 -- Pierce, WA

N.H.L. Takeaways at the Season’s Midpoint
"The lone goal on Thursday was scored by Joonas Oden, the son of a Finnish mother and an American father. Oden, who was born and raised in the United States before moving to Finland at age 12, is eligible for this year’s N.H.L. draft."

Reactions: Konamic Ice Hockey

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
hoglander out with the head shot.

sucks, hes the motor that the swede PP runs through.

anyone doubting nils lundkvist should not. real deal legit. great hands. calm. smart.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Russia have played even better, and controlled play even more, than they did in that 6-0 win against Canada. Credit to Sweden and to Alnefelt for somehow having the lead at this point.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
swedes back on their heels bigtime. russian forwards are all so skilled

swedes cant get any shots on net since russia changed goalies.

henriksson not showing me much today

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
swedes back on their heels bigtime. russian forwards are all so skilled

swedes cant get any shots on net since russia changed goalies.

henriksson not showing me much today

The only Swedes that have really stood out for me are their defensemen.

The forwards have gotten absolutely run over for huge chunks of the game. At times it looks like Russia vs. Kazakhstan in the neutral zone and in Russia's zone, but whenever they get into Sweden's end things get a bit harder for them.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I don't get to watch Miller or Jones in the NCAA but I got to watch most of the USA games. Miller is very good on D when the play is moving, once/if the offensive team sets up he has a hard time(he did look better the more he played). He looks like he is trying to much and gets lost. The part of D that he is really good at is the hardest part, gap control, knowing when to pinch and when to go after a forward in the neutral zone. He will learn to calm down and make better reads in the D zone. Shea Theodore had the same problem and he worked it out in the AHL. I really liked what a saw.
Jones I like his simple play on D, he uses his feet and stick to break up plays well. His skating is not bad but not on the same level as say Tony D. He is also not a nasty D like Trouba or Lindgren. He is kinda a in-between guy, doesn't have the O like Fox or TDA and is not D minded like Lindgren. I would like to see him take one of his skills to the next level, like his stick work(it is good but I think it could be at a very high level). I think he can be a solid player for NYR but none of his skills really jump out at me. With prospects I like to see something that is above average pro level, I just don't see it but he is a solid all around player and I think NCAA is perfect for him. I think he can become a solid 2-way guy. I might have been expecting to see more high end skills because of his NCAA numbers. Solid player nonetheless.

good post.

key is still quite raw. i agree, he gets lost on occasion. hes not intuitive enough yet in a purely defensive setting. he needs to figure out not to chase and to understand the game flow in a settled situation. hes learning the nuances of defensive positioning.

as far as skating and playing defense against the rush or while the play is developing, hes very good. his natural athletic ability shows thru when hes moving his feet and anticipating the play in the neutral zone and he does pinch well and break up alot of plays rather than backing in too far- like our entire defense does, . hes so fluid with his hip turn and swivel. his feet are sublime and hes a good 1 on 1 defensder while in motion.

he needs to finish this year and consider turning pro next summer. get in the weight room and try to make the team otherwise head to hartford and learn to be a pro.

hes close.

Reactions: Konamic Ice Hockey

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
The only Swedes that have really stood out for me are their defensemen.

The forwards have gotten absolutely run over for huge chunks of the game. At times it looks like Russia vs. Kazakhstan in the neutral zone and in Russia's zone, but whenever they get into Sweden's end things get a bit harder for them.

the swedish defenders are well coached. good puck support. all good at defending the rush and protecting the dangerous areas. the neutral zone play is also solid. they dont yield ground and step up and attack the puck.

the swedish PP is sexy as hell. all the defensemen get it. pass fast and look for a lane to shoot it.

so different then how we play defense.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I think the thing Miller has impressed me most with is how good he is at neutralizing entries

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Sweden had a decent chance where the puck was just sitting on the blue line for about 5 seconds. Unfortunately, their coach had picked that moment to take Lundkvist off the ice for Sandin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad